PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise when changing up

MikeWillcox
30-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I bought a Passat Estate 2.0TDI in April and have covered 4,000 miles. The car runs very well but has developed a strange noise from the rear which occures momentarily when changing up. The VW dealer has described it as "blowing over a bottle top". To me it sounds like a pigeon or a whale! Also the exhaust does seem to be smokey which makes me thing it could be the turbo. The dealer says that they have tested the car and there does not appear to be anything wrong. Any ideas?

David Binge
26-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I bought my new Passat 1.9 TDI in May 06 and have done nearly 5K. I have also noticed this strange whistling noise and it seems to be getting worse. It occurs when the power is let off, as when changing gear.

I have seen another posting on the forum from another owner with the same problem. They also took it to the VW dealer and were told nothing could be found, It wasn't until the rear N/S wheel bearing collapsed that the problem was identified and fixed!

Anyone else shared this??

David

MikeWillcox
26-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I bought my new Passat 1.9 TDI in May 06 and have done nearly 5K. I have also noticed this strange whistling noise and it seems to be getting worse. It occurs when the power is let off, as when changing gear.

I have seen another posting on the forum from another owner with the same problem. They also took it to the VW dealer and were told nothing could be found, It wasn't until the rear N/S wheel bearing collapsed that the problem was identified and fixed!

Anyone else shared this??

David
Thanks for the information. Have you mentioned the wheel bearing collapse as a possible cause of your problems to your dealer yet?

Mark Hutchinson
29-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Have a 2.0 TDi Sport Estate bought in April 2006. Have noticed the same noise, mainly just as you dip the clutch when changing from 2nd to 3rd, but also 3rd to 4th.

MikeWillcox
31-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Have a 2.0 TDi Sport Estate bought in April 2006. Have noticed the same noise, mainly just as you dip the clutch when changing from 2nd to 3rd, but also 3rd to 4th.
What has your dealer said about it?

Mark Hutchinson
31-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Car is booked in for other remedial work (including a respray of a large part of one side of the car!) on 14 August so they will take a look at it then. "Nothing to worry about, but if it gets worse bring it in sooner."

MikeWillcox
31-07-2006, 11:56 AM
The message about a collapsed wheel bearing sounds interesting. My dealer said that they'd checked everything and they couldn't find a problem but the noise is still there. Now I've got more evidence that the problem exists I'll put some pressure on them to resolve it.

David Binge
01-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I have booked mine in on the 13th Aug. Told them about the prob and what I had read on this site....so we'll see what happens!

David

MikeWillcox
01-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I'll wait to see what happens.
Please let me know how you get on.

Mike

MikeWillcox
24-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Did your garage find the source of the noise?

Mark Hutchinson
24-08-2006, 01:10 PM
The noise I was hearing was felt to be transposed turbo noise. I had a Golf Plus for a week as a courtesy car and it made the same noise when changing gear, just a lot louder.

thooper
04-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I own a 2006 Passat 2.0 TDI with 5000 miles on the clock.I have the same whistling noise on changing up to 2nd 3rd 4th gears. I took it to my dealer who examined the four wheel bearings. He changed the front two but I still have the noise.

Taking the vehicle back, the dealer stated that the noise I can hear, maybe waste gate noise, from the turbo.

If this is the case, I can live with it but I am not yet convinced.

gezza
02-12-2006, 06:20 PM
hi, yes i too get this strange "whale/bottle top blowing noise" & find it very strange ,sounds like its coming from rear somewhere?
passat estate 130 sport