PDA

View Full Version : dvd drive for navigation A7

Adrian James
27-08-2013, 02:45 PM
OK i give up, where is the dvd navigation drive on my A7 ?:Blush2:

Guest 2
27-08-2013, 04:27 PM
If you have DVD nav it should either be in the glovebox but I think more than likely you will have HDD nav and the DVD video slot will either be on the dash or in the glovebox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mark
27-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that the updated maps for the A7 don't come on a DVD as the nav is HDD based

And as for how I know?

Because I had the maps on my A7 updated 2 weeks ago by the dealer which involved them sticking an SD card in slot 2

jk88
27-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Because I had the maps on my A7 updated 2 weeks ago by the dealer which involved them sticking an SD card in slot 2

Couple of questions if that's OK - Is the SD card used just to update the HDD or does it remain permanently in slot 2? How much did the dealer charge for the update?

Adrian James
27-08-2013, 06:13 PM
there is a dvd player in the centre dash, part of the multimedia system, but there is no disc/dvd in it. there are no cards in the sd slots, the nav is running ok but just wanted to update it, i believed it was dvd based but cannot find another dvd player anywhere in the car that could be running it. is it possible that the software is 'downloaded' into the car ?
if @mark just had his updated via a dealer sd card this would make sense but i have not heard of this before.

@mark
27-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Couple of questions if that's OK - Is the SD card used just to update the HDD or does it remain permanently in slot 2? How much did the dealer charge for the update?

No the card does not stay in the slot once installed. Indeed you don't even get to keep the SD card.

Cost = £250

Adrian James
27-08-2013, 07:10 PM
so, do you think that mine is the same as yours and there is no dvd. i just need one of these sd card updates ?

shabazmo
27-08-2013, 10:25 PM
On the A7 the sat nav is on a hard drive and can only be updated by your Audi dealer. they connect it to Audi UK for the update and it costs about £270.

Adrian James
28-08-2013, 07:26 AM
well that clears that up then. thanks shabazmo ;)

M1tchy
28-08-2013, 05:52 PM
They don't give you a disc or SD card and we have to pay that price? Jesus! On my last car I was part of a forum where we all chipped in £5 for the disc and posted it round each other. Saved us a lot of money but probably what Audi are trying to avoid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest 2
28-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Yep the new data is loaded on via an SD card then Audi activate the software via one of their systems.

@mark
28-08-2013, 07:05 PM
They don't give you a disc or SD card and we have to pay that price? Jesus! On my last car I was part of a forum where we all chipped in £5 for the disc and posted it round each other. Saved us a lot of money but probably what Audi are trying to avoid.

So the DVD Case you get (yes you get a DVD case) which says Audi 2013 Map update all over it what you get is a code generated for your car.

This is what you are actually paying for.

They put the SD card in the card. If dumps the new image onto the hard drive and then they take the card out.

Then you go into MMI and select system update under navigation settings and it detects an update as being available. If you select to update you are then prompted for the unlock key which is tied to your car and your car alone. The system is then updates and the image is wiped off the HDD.

There is no need to have a copy of the SD card from this point onwards. The reason they do it this way rather than download the image directly onto the car is that the read speed off an SD card is many times faster

So even if you had the SD card, you would not be able to share it.

As you say, it stops people buying once and then passing it on.

Adrian James
28-08-2013, 08:38 PM
do, if its now done from an sd card cant we club together to buy this card ?

Yep the new data is loaded on via an SD card then Audi activate the software via one of their systems.

@mark
29-08-2013, 07:57 AM
do, if its now done from an sd card cant we club together to buy this card ?

The card alone is of no use to you.

You need the card PLUS a special code that is generated for your car.

So you are not buying the card when you have the upgrade done. You are buying the code (or more specifically a licence to use the software in the form of a unique licence/unlock key)

shabazmo
30-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Which I assume means that this is an Audi dealer solution only.

Guest 2
30-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Yep, Audi only. And correct me if I'm wrong but I think the map card is a one use thing as each card comes with its own unique activation code.