PDA

View Full Version : Question Manual gearbox

Sparky_143
26-08-2013, 10:48 PM
HiPlease be nice, I've had a 2008 a4 2.0tdi with 6 speed manual gearbox for 2 months
Now this is my first diesel, turbo and audi car
My question is:
Example, driving at 50mph in 6th gear and go for an over take so put my foot down.
The revs rapidly increase and the gear suggest in the DIS will show 4th gear, 5th then 6th and the revs settle back to normal, once higher speed has been reached.
Also does this this in any gear if speed is to low for gear selected
Now, I've just put a crd-t box on from dtuk and this seems to happen a lot more.
What is this feature? And how does it do it on a manual gear box, changing gears????
I hope this makes sense
Cheers

Guest 2
26-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Sounds like the clutch is slipping to me?

Sparky_143
26-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Sounds like the clutch is slipping to me?
It's definitely not a normal feature for audi card then. I thought it might be some new safety feature that if your in the wrong gear and pull out then you won't get any turbo lag.

belly buster
26-08-2013, 11:41 PM
It's definitely not a normal feature for audi card then. I thought it might be some new safety feature that if your in the wrong gear and pull out then you won't get any turbo lag.

Correct this is definately not a normal feature. Your experience should not be vastly different to other cars you have driven.

As Chris suggests this sounds like a clutch slipping issue. The only other explanation is wheel spin, but this seems unlikely in 6th gear.

If the clutch is slipping and you add extra power (DTUK box) then it will probably happen more.

Guest 2
27-08-2013, 07:35 AM

Nope definitely your clutch is slipping and as Belly says, you've introduced more power so it's gonna happen more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky_143
27-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Nope definitely your clutch is slipping and as Belly says, you've introduced more power so it's gonna happen more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks guys.
Is it just the clutch that will need replacing or will the dmf need replacing to?
or can a slipping clutch be fixed
cheers

Guest 2
27-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Slipping clutch usually means its done.

99% of people get the dmf done at the same time - I know I would as they're made of chocolate and will need replaced anyway soon.

Sparky_143
27-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Slipping clutch usually means its done.

99% of people get the dmf done at the same time - I know I would as they're made of chocolate and will need replaced anyway soon.

ive only owned the car for just under 2 months and was given a 3 months warranty when I bought it, do you think it would be covered under this

derekm
27-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Likely not to be covered by warranty as it is a wear and tear component.

Sparky_143
27-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Likely not to be covered by warranty as it is a wear and tear component.

even though I only bought it 7 week ago?

martinfoy
27-08-2013, 06:50 PM
The old just bought a car and the clutch is going and its not covered under warranty!
Seriously, claim under sale of goods act, not warranty ,you buy a car and the clutch should not need replacing so soon. I done this with a car i bought from Wearside Audi, i wasnt happy with the clutch and put it into Glasgow Audi who said new clutch and 750 pounds please! I got them to contact Wearside explaining i had just purchased the car and was not paying for a new clutch on a car with 20,000 miles, i also contacted Audi customer services and Wearside agreed to pay. Best of luck.

Sparky_143
27-08-2013, 07:13 PM
The old just bought a car and the clutch is going and its not covered under warranty!
Seriously, claim under sale of goods act, not warranty ,you buy a car and the clutch should not need replacing so soon. I done this with a car i bought from Wearside Audi, i wasnt happy with the clutch and put it into Glasgow Audi who said new clutch and 750 pounds please! I got them to contact Wearside explaining i had just purchased the car and was not paying for a new clutch on a car with 20,000 miles, i also contacted Audi customer services and Wearside agreed to pay. Best of luck.
I've contacted the garage today who told me to get a quote from a local garage for the work. rang him back with: Clutch kit and release bearing 810 inc VAT and if the DMF needs doing its 1167 inc VAT. He said to leave it with him whilst he gets quote from a few garages he knows. hes going to call me back tomorrow so ill keep you all updated. Sounds promising at the moment though but things can change

Boy
27-08-2013, 09:42 PM
But you've modified it in a way likely to put extra stress on the clutch! I shall be surprised if your warranty covers that! Not that i don't sympathise, but with the benefit of hindsight, it might have been better to have tested it thoroughly first. Good luck with the warranty claim.

Guest 2
27-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Can't see the clutch being covered for slippage especially as you've introduced more power.

I know my A3 will need clutch/dmf in the near future and will be getting both done for peace of mind.

Sparky_143
27-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Can't see the clutch being covered for slippage especially as you've introduced more power.

I know my A3 will need clutch/dmf in the near future and will be getting both done for peace of mind.
I can remove the DTUK box though, so if they ask to see the at they won't know any difference. Plus only had it on a week and half.

Guest 2
27-08-2013, 09:57 PM
That would be lying though :)

Plus I can only assume your username is your actual name so a quick google would bring up this thread.

Sparky_143
05-09-2013, 06:02 PM
hi all, just to update on this, had a new clutch and DMF fitted today and only had to pay a £25 excess through warranty.

Guest 2
05-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Not bad, are you keeping the tuning box off?

Sparky_143
05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Not bad, are you keeping the tuning box off?
no, ill be putting it back on tomorrow :D