PDA

View Full Version : Boost Hoses

Anarkistic
23-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Had my Golf MK5 1.9TDI 105 remapped for almost two years now, but been having an immensely annoying 'police siren' style whooshing from the turbo all the time at low revs as the turbo spools up and down, as well as occasional jerks from the engine while cruising. While not apparently having any long term effects, it is starting to get annoying now and I'm suspicious that it's affecting the performance that the remap gave me - the turbo lag is getting worse and it's a little more smokey than I'd expect.

My attention is drawn to the boost hoses, I recall a few months back during a service, it was mentioned to me that a boost hose had a loose connection, and although they reseated it, I was told it would keep coming loose.

I'd quite like to replace the hoses with some nice silicon ones, I've been meaning to do it since I got the remap anyway, this seems like a good reason to get on with it! Trouble is, been a nightmare to find hoses for my vehicle/engine model! Plenty for the GTI, GTD and the 2.0GT-TDI, but not the little 1.9 :(

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Crasher
23-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Your turbo is dying, the noise comes from a misalignment of the blades against air flow due to radial play in the turbine shaft. The turbo on 105PS engines is prone to an early death in standard maps cars, never mind those that are re-mapped.

Anarkistic
03-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Damn, that sounds much more expensive that new hoses. I shall get the turbocharger unit inspected - perhaps I can get a recon turbo from somewhere to replace it, if it is indeed what you say.

Crasher
03-09-2013, 05:50 PM
It has to come off and apart to be inspected so get it rebuilt whilst off, there are decent recon companies all over the UK who rebuild turbo's and typically you would pay around £300. We diagnose around 2 a day (only one today :-( ) and end up doing about two a week as the rest are taxi drivers who go "oh gor blimey me, my brother, he do it for £3.50", had one in today. I quoted him £900 all in done including an oil and filter and I nearly had to call an ambulance...

zollaf
03-09-2013, 05:57 PM
i am suprised the chinese havn't started making turbo's. ok, they would only last a few minutes, whine like hell and destroy your engine, but they would be very cheap, much cheaper than say turbo tecnics.

Crasher
03-09-2013, 06:24 PM
They do, the market is absolutely flooded with T3 and T4 copies, everywhere. One of the worlds biggest turbo manufacturer's is China Turbo...http://www.china-turbo.com.cn/

zollaf
03-09-2013, 06:34 PM
we are all doomed, doomed i tell you.

Anarkistic
03-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Oh jeez, I'll stay away from the Chinese knock-offs methinks. I'll have a hunt round for a recon company nearby, it's a shame you guys are all the way in Nottingham, otherwise I'd go to you. Thing is, if it turns out not to be the turbine and the turbocharger is actually okay, that would have been a hefty bill for nothing. But you do sound pretty sure, and it's not the first time someone suggested that....

Swapping it out for a Hybrid turbo is kinda tempting, throw the BHP up to at least 180-200 for about £920.

Crasher
03-09-2013, 11:11 PM
we are all doomed, doomed i tell you.

Shut up Zolly....Wur Doomed, Entombed & Marooned... - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo)