PDA

View Full Version : Dreamy Mk7 weekend

Gerryf
23-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't have a Mk7 yet but that doesn't stop me dreaming....

I can see myself setting sail for Brighton whilst playing with all the wizardry......auto distance control would be ideal for the bumper to bumper traffic entering Brighton.
I could also store Southern FM as I mozzie down the M23.....I can actually visualise a great big dog slinging out the back window.....those rear lecky windows do come in handy don't they....lol

How's your dream going ?

DW58
23-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Well Gerry - mine's heading north-west from Inverness toward Ullapool and then north to Scourie on nice crisp Autumnal morning. If any road is going to give the DSG a good work-out and my left leg a well deserved rest, it's the A835. There are great photo-opportunities, the red-deer rut should be in progress and Katie-Moragh will get lovely "sniffs" of deer and grouse which will delight her. The only down-side is getting eaten alive by midges wherever and whenever we stop.

Good dream?

dcdick
23-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Dream time now ........................oh dear :confused:

It's nice to dream guys, but, it's just a car..............................................

D

HHGTTG
24-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes but what about those smeary wiper blades spoiling you vision and those seat bolsters numbing your thighs and those rattles that occur but which you can't quite find the source - that will all spoil your dreams.
This in only for starters, by the way.

DW58
24-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Dream time now ........................oh dear :confused:

It's nice to dream guys, but, it's just a car..............................................

D

Yes but what about those smeary wiper blades spoiling you vision and those seat bolsters numbing your thighs and those rattles that occur but which you can't quite find the source - that will all spoil your dreams.
This in only for starters, by the way.

What a pair of miserable gits you are - you both deserve to be driving Nissan QashQais like the other saddos ... ...

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s6445.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Gerryf
24-08-2013, 01:13 PM
The tank is half full...no need for wipers on this bright Sunny day :).....and the seats are bliss itself.

Avoiding coffee at night should see those nightmares off for good.......lol

DW58
24-08-2013, 01:51 PM
So have you got the new one Gerry?

dcdick
24-08-2013, 05:13 PM
What a pair of miserable gits you are - you both deserve to be driving Nissan QashQais like the other saddos ... ...

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s6445.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

Oh dear Rob................ so it's QQ's all round then for those of us who don't dream about Golf's ;)

D

Gerryf
24-08-2013, 05:56 PM
78 mpg and rising ;)...anything less would be considered a nightmare.....lol

DW58
24-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Oh dear Rob................ so it's QQ's all round then for those of us who don't dream about Golf's ;)

D

No, I was being sarcastic ... ... ... but I do loath Crossovers in general and QQs n particular, and even worse the Soccer Mom types who drive them so badly.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/d710d27853bf87999e412030c00e1769.jpg

HHGTTG
24-08-2013, 06:14 PM
No, I was being sarcastic ... ... ... but I do loath Crossovers in general and QQs n particular, and even worse the Soccer Mom types who drive them so badly.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/d710d27853bf87999e412030c00e1769.jpg

The sarcasm was of course recognised. But I quite fancy the look of some of these crossover vehicles but it is only when I read reviews about them that many are not received too well.
I am trying to be a bit more flexible in my choice of next vehicle and trying not to fall into the trap that VW is the best. Of course many on car forums don't actually buy their cars with their own cash, as i do, and so if your company is limits your choice, then perhaps you wouldn't want to be driving around in cars that the company wouldn't approve of or indeed allow.
I am beginning to like the new Golf except for certain design anomalies especially in the interior and maybe I will be ordering one later this year but £21,000+ to me is a lot of money for a private buyer who only does about 5k max. miles per year. My close friend is similarly looking at cars like the Yaris, Auris and similary priced cars because, frankly, providing I can specify foldable mirrors and F+R parking sensors that's enough for me and a bit of comfor as well, of course. There are lots of cars out there from which to choose and extended delivey times puts me off Golfs and Audis, now. Once bitten..................... as they say.

DW58
24-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes - I'm a member here, another Volkswagen forum and a detailing board and it amazes me just how many members are operators of company cars rather than personally owned.

I was a dyed-in-the-wool Volkswagen fan in my early days, something I acquired from my parents who had Volkswagen/Audi cars from 1970-ish onwards, in fact my 80yo Mum still drives an A1 Sportback 1.4TFSi DSG. I left Volkswagen in the late 80s, owning Fiat (2), Isuzu (2) and Subaru for a number of years before returning to the fold (Audi) 1995-2000 before moving to the dark side (Renault - never again) for ten years. I saw the light in 2010 and intend to stay with VAG now.

The Golf provides everything I need - room for myself, SWMBO, the pooch and our son when at home in good comfort, safety and giving a pleasant ride.

Ticks all the boxes for me as they say.

dcdick
24-08-2013, 11:14 PM

No offence taken Rob, I'm just a bit bored with cars & fed up with all the restrictions/agro for drivers these days...............enjoy your dreams :D

D

HHGTTG
25-08-2013, 08:49 AM
No offence taken Rob, I'm just a bit bored with cars & fed up with all the restrictions/agro for drivers these days...............enjoy your dreams :D

D

I agree completely. The car used to be, supposedly, the solution to all our travel problems and it was a way of enjoying the open road etc etc. Well, I expect some people living in the lesser populated regions of the UK might still experience this but it's hell elsewhere and as you say we're being battered into the ground with legislation and restrictions making the motorist's life hell. FACT - there are too many vehicles on our inadequate road system.
I have been thinking a lot this year, at the age of 75 about whether it is worth continuing trying to follow this 'dream' and perhaps not having a car but ditching my car would deny me what pleasures are left in life.
Don't get me wrong I love driving and treat it as an art form and take pride in it but to many it is just a means of getting from A to B and the consequences of bad driving and being inconsiderate to others is all too evident.

Gerryf
25-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Stick with the dream HHGTTG :).....you've done your bit for society.....time to spoil yourself.

dcdick
25-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree completely. The car used to be, supposedly, the solution to all our travel problems and it was a way of enjoying the open road etc etc. Well, I expect some people living in the lesser populated regions of the UK might still experience this but it's hell elsewhere and as you say we're being battered into the ground with legislation and restrictions making the motorist's life hell. FACT - there are too many vehicles on our inadequate road system.
I have been thinking a lot this year, at the age of 75 about whether it is worth continuing trying to follow this 'dream' and perhaps not having a car but ditching my car would deny me what pleasures are left in life.
Don't get me wrong I love driving and treat it as an art form and take pride in it but to many it is just a means of getting from A to B and the consequences of bad driving and being inconsiderate to others is all too evident.

Know what you mean :D, new car on it's way for me that is a 3 year lease which will take me past 70 & as things stand I'm seriously thinking of giving up driving then. Don't particularly want to but, the general standard of driving has deteriorated so much in the last 20 years or so that "near misses" are now a part of driving life....... latest one was a 5 series with 4 males inside (polite description) that barged across 2 lanes at speed on a roundabout to get on to the slip road to the M/Way in front of me...............

Modern cars are almost without exception good to drive & very reliable but the "nut behind the wheel" as we used to say is now even younger & more aggressive than ever before, then there's the foreign drivers ..............

Good old days ................. who knows ?

D

DW58
25-08-2013, 11:45 AM
I know exactly where you're coming from - driving standards, and especially from the sub-30yo generation, has become so aggressive. Even up here in the wilds of rural Jockistan the boy-racer element no longer drive clapped out old jallopys, they're all in balls-to-the-wall Subarus, BMWs etc., and all driven like maniacs.

I'm an old fart of almost 55 - I never drove like that, and was damned proud of my 1300cc Beetle which I owned from the ages of 19 to 24.