PDA

View Full Version : '98 T4 Transporter starting problems. Please help!

mball
03-09-2007, 08:44 PM
My '98 T4 Transporter has began refusing to start. When I turn the key in
the ignition nothing happens whatsoever. All the dash lights come on and
the glow plugs light goes out after the right sort of time but the engine isn't
turning at all. There had been problems with the battery to starter motor
cable in the past so I've replaced that but still nothing. Does anyone
have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Any help would be hugely
appreciated.
Cheers

a8 tech
03-09-2007, 09:39 PM
check the gearbox/engine has a good earth and 12 volt supply to starter when cranking selected on ignition switch.If all ok make sure you can turn the engine over by hand(big spanner 19mm)if you can remove the starter and test it with a battery charger.

RabOne
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Mball,
Just been surfing finding info on this as it happened to me today - key in, lights on dash on - coild warms - turn the key and - nowt!
Mr RAC came to my rescue and quick solved to get me home by turning ignition on and hot wiring the battery live to the bottom live on the starter to kick it over - I though it was the immoblisier chip in the key had gone faulty but the spare didn't work either.
Conclusion - the Ignition switch has a faulty connection - try giving the key a turn and whilst trying to turn the starter motor with the key - give the key a wobble and shake up and down - worked for me - and will last me out till I gets to the garage at the weekend for a replacement ignition switch - Cheers - Andie

island dave
13-10-2008, 01:29 PM
hello,
i have the same problem.
did you get sorted ?
any further advice, anyone ?
i have a new switch on order.
kind regards,
david

WILLY
14-10-2008, 11:55 PM
hi are you getting any click from starter motor. if not it will be your earth strap has melted on the rear of starter , it happend to me , just used some old jump lead cut to size and solderd back on ,

it melted on me, trying to start her 1 cold morning , cranking and then nothing not even a click this ones for you dave , post seems abit old

wee mo
15-10-2008, 07:38 PM
hi all newbie here looking for other problems but came across the post , i had the same problem a few months ago , the problem is with the starter motor itself there is a wire which is like a pigs tail inside and it is common for these to break, eaiser to replace starter motor around £100 fit yourself ony a few bolts . hope this helps :beerchug:

Robin K-S
30-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I've got the same problem today, went out in it earlier, came home, then when I tried to start, nothing happened. Have spoken to a mechanic, who suggested earthing the engine to check if it was the earth strap, still nothing.
Have checked the earth strap on the starter motor and that seems to be intact.
Have wiggled the key, nothing.
But I do get a clicking, that seems to get faster before it peters out, coming from the large relay (102, bottom right)?
The starter motor on my van is less than 6 months old & my van is a '94, so doesn't have the immobiliser key thing.

All your help is gratefully accepted, I have the mechanic coming tomorrow for a look, so will post answers then for future use.

Brian Considine
30-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Are you sure the battery/charging is OK ? Try switching on the headlamps & see if the clicking rate alters.

May be worth trying a jump start.

Robin K-S
30-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah the battery is fine and was charging, I can't test it now as it won't start. I would hope the alternator is good as I changed it a couple of months ago.

May try the ignition on and run a jump lead from the live battery to the live on the starter as described above in the morning.

As for the clicking it is coming from the large relay as described (you can feel it vibrating), this happens about 20-30 seconds after the glow plug light has gone out. Its a very rapid clicking, more like a buzzing and it increases in speed for about 20 seconds, then goes.

Hopefully mechanic matey can shed some light on it and its not too expensive. I'll let you all know how it goes

dangerousdog
30-06-2009, 07:50 PM
my ignition switch packed in at 73000,so I found the starter wire on it and got a big red button on the dash to start it,cheaper than a new ignition switch and you still need keys in to demobilize..

Robin K-S
01-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Good idea, I'll do that if its the ignition switch thats gone, but I've a feeling it may be this relay thats making all the noise, it doesn't sound right.

Robin K-S
08-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Right here's the scoop, my ignition switch had gone, as had my glow plug relay (large 1 on the right 102) & my battery wasn't holding a charge. Was there when he fixed it, so know this is all correct.

£125 for coming out to find out what the problem was, ordering ignition switch, relay & Bosch battery, then coming back to fit it, bargain!