PDA

View Full Version : First DIY oil & filter change YEY!

defever
22-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Hello B5 drivers

Last week I did the interim oil & filter change by myself. And the car is still running after 500miles, yes!

Since May I've been looking at forums, YouTube, Haynes etc. to make sure this is something I can do myself. Went to Europarts for the oil, filter, and sump plug and off to a supermarket car park...

Took about an hour (mostly faffing around with removing the plastic underlay) and I managed to catch the old oil into an old bottle and handed over to a local garage for proper disposal.

Parts cost me around £50. I like to think I saved bit of money doing it by myself. Surprisingly some "big brand" garages do oil & filter change for under £40?! I wonder what sort of oil / filter they put in, a new 4.5L oil costs nearly £40 on its own...

More importantly than the money-saving aspect, it's been a great experience to go under the bonnet and do a "Haynes 2-spanner level" DIY on my own car.

"That's one small job for a mechanic, one giant leap for a noob."

Thank you all for the knowledge and wisdom shared in here. And thank you for reading!

Guest 2
22-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Excellent work, treat yourself to a glass of wine :)

I believe JimC64 uses National Tyres for his oil changes and they provide the proper Castrol oil for your car.

https://www.national.co.uk/oil-vehicle-search.aspx

gupsterg
22-08-2013, 02:11 PM
"That's one small job for a mechanic, one giant leap for a noob."

:fing02: ...

mikeybutch
22-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Good work.Which just out says most pay about £200 so big saving.ECP offer last was £13 for oil and filter so just done mine

Doctle Odd
22-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Well done you're on the way to saving on big garage bills for small jobs. Garages do cheap oil changes using 15W-40 in everything they buy it in 45 gallon drums and use Chinese pattern oil filters. Buy yourself a vacuum fluid extractor it's better that lying on the ground and you wont need a new sump bolt! Buy 20 or 25 l cans of oil, you get good oil at a nice price if you buy quantity. Never buy a cheap filter they're the cars kidneys! Genuine or OEM only. Anyhoo apologies for going on and well done again
:beerchug:

dreddfan
22-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Well done, doing anything for the first time is always daunting. :nervous:
Have to agree with Doc on the oil vac, i got one recently and it's one of the best buys I've made in a long time (bit of an outlay but it'll pay for itself in a few oil changes)
Get a pack of 14mm copper washers for the sump plug rather than a new bolt every time.

Doctle Odd
22-08-2013, 09:10 PM
If I may contradict you Dredd you don't need to remove the bolt if you have an extractor and as the bolt is single use the washers are extraneous!

dreddfan
22-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I did think of that after I hit the 'Post' button but hoped nobody would notice :o :sad6:

Guest 2
22-08-2013, 09:40 PM
I did think of that after I hit the 'Post' button but hoped nobody would notice :o :sad6:

If you ever make a mistake and realise it, run for the edit button before anyone notices it ;)

Saved me a few times from dopey errors :rolleyes:

Doctle Odd
22-08-2013, 09:40 PM
We all make mistakes mate that's why they put erasers on pencils
:beerchug::biglaugh:

dreddfan
22-08-2013, 09:44 PM
that's why they put erasers on pencils
I thought that was to make the end chewy !!!!

Have to agree Chris but I got called away from the PC. I'm pulling a late shift in work and am grabbing a lunch break while I can ( the joys of being a maintenance tech :()

defever
23-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone!! Now that I've done the oil & filter change I realise how easy and "non-technical" it is. It's more of being aware of what component is where and how it all connects to everything else in the car.

I guess one down-side of doing a DIY is that I don't have a pair of an experienced mechanic's eyeballs to spot anything unusual with the car which might need further attention. I still need help of a professional mechanic for a full service (which I think I know most of what it's involved in "full" service) so that the mechanic can check the overall state of the car and suggest if any work needs doing (especially for 14yrs old car) and "stamp" my servicing book.

Next stage is get VCDS cable and see what that is all about. Maybe an oil extractor too, but since I'm still moving about with early career, I try not to gather many belongings. When I settle I will definitely want a garage full of power tools and other manly stuff. ha.

Doctle Odd
23-08-2013, 11:19 AM
The "full" service isn't much more than what you did. Things you should consider buying are a tyre depth gauge, a brake fluid tester, axle stands and a tyre lever (essential for checking play in links and bushes).

dreddfan
23-08-2013, 02:31 PM
And a decent trolly jack

Doc B
23-08-2013, 03:12 PM
And a decent trolly jack

And axle stands for safety!!!

PaulF2.5TDi
23-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Don't forget a 'Big Hammer' :smashfrea

defever
24-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I have tyre depth & pressure gauges, and 30 odd piece tool.

And National Trust binocular?

Doctle Odd
24-08-2013, 10:15 AM
You don't need a huge tool kit to work on these cars. You will need a few spanners that includes a 16 and 18mm same with sockets. Buy the best you can afford, Siegen are quite good for the DIY user. If it's a standard car get a Haynes manual. People sneer at them but they have useful information on torque settings and how things come apart etc. +1 on the big hammer and get a box of gloves dermatitis is a devil to live with

dreddfan
26-08-2013, 01:28 PM
A decent filter strap wrench (I've been using a 5 euro one from lidl for ages though)
A 15 spanner is needed for the brake caliper slide pins so make sure you get one in the set.
A big hammer is a given but I have an even bigger hammer to hit it with when things go really wrong!!

Be careful with the colour selection of your gloves, people can get v pickey here :biglaugh:: Question Whats this called? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?146739-Whats-this-called)

defever
26-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Be careful with the colour selection of your gloves, people can get v pickey here :biglaugh:: Question Whats this called? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?146739-Whats-this-called)

Aha. I've read this. I went with the conventional clear gloves.

I have Haynes, set of tools (the usual 30 odd piece thing from Halfords, swan neck, and somehow a spare wheel telescopic wrench). Soon to be on my collection is probably a VCDS, maybe oild extractor and stands.

WHY the big hammer?! I thought a hammer can't be touched (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo)?!

mikeybutch
26-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Oil extractor seems useful if you are in a hurry but I try to take time and let it drain.Last time I gave it about an hour and about a cupful of the dregs dripped out which otherwise stay and mix in

dreddfan
26-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I've already started training the next generation with big hammer techniques ;)

Doctle Odd
26-08-2013, 07:51 PM
In some parts of the Midlands, like Offaly, they call it a big hummer