PDA

View Full Version : Why i think some of the expensive options are essentials

froudeg
19-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Adaptive Chassis Control (ACC)

The Adaptive Chassis Control is more than just a 'comfort, normal, sport' button, in fact the actual 3 modes don't have a huge difference between them for ride and handling.

What ACC gives you is adaptive dampers/shocks - the net result is you have a much smoother ride, where the shocks for the most of the time are soft and take the harshness out of UK roads, yet when you come to steer they stiffen up so it still corners like a fly without crazy body roll.

This is an essential option for GT and GTI models imo - whose ride is a LOT harsher than the S/SE model due to the lowered suspension and 17/18" low profile tyres.

So to sum up, ACC in normal mode is NOT like having no ACC....its basically got 3 modes, very smooth, smooth, pretty smooth......all of which are smoother than a GT / GTI without ACC.

Discover Nav Pro....vs Non pro or the normal radio

The reviews and specs show you advantages of having the pro model - i.e. Larger screen, higher res screen, 3D maps, WLAN hotspot, 64gb built in flash, DVD player, Custom POI's

What none of them seem to have pointed out, which i find a big factor - is the sheer difference in processing power vs the non pro model.

The pro model has a much faster processor, resulting in a significantly faster operation, slicker menu response, faster animations and generally a more responsive interface.
I have seen videos of the non pro model sometimes not picking up your finger press, and it chugging along with the animations or menu swiping, pausing whilst it gets the option you selected up - this is all down to the slower processor used in the basic model.

The non pro looks to me to be sluggish and one thing i hate is a sluggish interface that misses my finger presses/movements...much like the early generation RNS510 which had a somewhat sluggish response.

Finally, i really wish the GOLF GTI came with more options on the interior! - the exterior has more paint choices available but the interior is either black leather seats or the tartan seats.
If your not keen on the tartan you have only the black leather as an alternative, and the sheer price hike aside - these combined with the black roof cloth results in a very very dark interior which just doesn't look welcoming.
It could do with a 'black roof cloth' delete option, as this in the past has been an add on option for non GTI models.

My ideal golf would be a GTI with the GT interior, the SE metal inserts instead of the piano black (finger prints!)...and also 17" alloys as 18" (let alone 19") have too much road noise.

...and of course ACC, Discover Nav Pro, Park Assist, High Beam Assist, Xenon headlights with LED DRL, Dynaudio, Keyless entry, Winter Pack, Colour MFD - the other options i don't care for (not that i have left much off! lol).

algarve
19-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Personally I do not see why either of these options are ​essentials far from it .

Still if you want to spend nearly £2k on them good for you...

DW58
19-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm with Algarve - while these options are clearly desirable to the OP, they are by no means essential - far from it as neither is essential to the use of the car.

In my opinion whilst desirable to some, they are expensive non-essential luxuries

froudeg
19-08-2013, 09:27 PM
You're right really - none of the options is truly essential on a car....at the end of the day anything with 4 wheels and an engine that can do 70 mph will do - but the way i see it if i'm gonna be paying £20k+ for a car, then i'm not gonna scrimp on the niceties that make the car nice to drive daily and give me sportyness when i want it.

ACC is essential for me, just to restore the ride on GT/GTI models....the nav pro really isnt and the price premium it carries is ridiculous but i know i will find the slow interface on the lower models irritating.

GTwebb
19-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Tbh I've not yet read or heard of a harsh ride in the GT on 17" wheels without ACC... I will shortly find out though and give my view

froudeg
20-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Tbh I've not yet read or heard of a harsh ride in the GT on 17" wheels without ACC... I will shortly find out though and give my view

Its not that harsh really, especially if you stick with 17" wheels - but there is a noticeable difference compared to an S or SE with 16" and 55 profile tyres...the suspension/shocks are somewhat firmer on a GT too.

ACC lets you have your cake and eat it....the S model squishyness for smooth riding, and the GT/GTI handling when you want to do more than drive in a straight line ;)

I have to admit the more i look at the sheer cost of the Discover NAV pro, the more i'm thinking this is not 'essential'

ellie43
20-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Discover Nav Pro....vs Non pro or the normal radio

Finally, i really wish the GOLF GTI came with more options on the interior! - the exterior has more paint choices available but the interior is either black leather seats or the tartan seats.
If your not keen on the tartan you have only the black leather as an alternative, and the sheer price hike aside - these combined with the black roof cloth results in a very very dark interior which just doesn't look welcoming.
It could do with a 'black roof cloth' delete option, as this in the past has been an add on option for non GTI models.

My ideal golf would be a GTI with the GT interior, the SE metal inserts instead of the piano black (finger prints!)...and also 17" alloys as 18" (let alone 19") have too much road noise.

...and of course ACC, Discover Nav Pro, Park Assist, High Beam Assist, Xenon headlights with LED DRL, Dynaudio, Keyless entry, Winter Pack, Colour MFD - the other options i don't care for (not that i have left much off! lol).

I have the black leather seats, but they aren't really black, more of a nice grey colour .... plus with a sunroof the cabin is light and airy

dickt
20-08-2013, 12:52 PM
This sort of thread is about opinions, not facts.
So, my opinions. I like my ACC, but it is not essential.
I do not have Discover Pro - I have basic satnav. That meets my needs. The Pro is far too pricey.

maisbitt
20-08-2013, 01:21 PM
To change interior options kinds of dilutes the GTIs distinguishing features. The powers that be have determined that black headlining = sporty (I like it).

I completely disagree with ACC being essential. I have it already on my Scirocco and unless I’m in danger of hitting potholes, the car is in Sport. Comfort is pothole mode, and normal mode is fidgety. Comfort sits on the soft end of the adjustability spectrum, Sport sits on the firm end, and normal is constantly adjusting, urring on the sport end of firmness, but feeling far less smooth than sport due to the changes it keeps going through, making it feel a bit lumpy. I’ve also had the system fail twice in 2 consecutive winters – it doesn’t seem to like the cold. Standard ride is firm but smooth, a bit nicer than my Scirocco in Sport mode. Having had “free” ACC on my Scirocco, I am not compelled to pay £800 for it on my GTD. Firmness is all relative to what you’re used to. The MK7 Golf on standard ride is by far the most comfortable and compliant VW I’ve had on 18” wheels and lowered sports suspension. If you’re used to 15” wheels with a standard soft suspension set up then you may feel that the GTI/GTD ride is harsh. You will probably still feel that way with ACC in Sport or Normal mode.

£1700 for satnav pro – crazy money, just crazy. £1000 more than the lesser model for a small size upgrade, a few more features and faster processing. Just think of what kind of computer set-up you could have for that money – it would be a very high end gaming machine. I wouldn’t pay more than £500 for satnav just for the convenience of it being built in vs a high end £350 standalone model that will need mounting.

Gerryf
21-08-2013, 12:15 PM
The other side of the coin is......some younger drivers may be able to afford the lesser insurance premium when the car is fitted with ACC.

maisbitt
21-08-2013, 12:24 PM
The other side of the coin is......some younger drivers may be able to afford the lesser insurance premium when the car is fitted with ACC.

Do you mean ACC as in active chassis control (sometimes called DCC) or ADC Automatic distance control (some people referring to it as ACC/Adaptive cruise control)? I suspect you mean the latter, as keeping a distance has got to be safer than having a more supple ride. ADC is standard on Golf 7, so I think everyone talking options with ACC means the active chassis control. Damn these similar VW acronyms!

Gerryf
21-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I confuse myself with all the acronyms Maisbitt :D....yes I did mean adaptive cruise control and Town emergency braking.