PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Sticking on

Chriscross
29-06-2006, 11:42 PM
I wonder if any of you guys can assist with the following issue with my '01 Passat TDi130 Sport Tiptronic on 175K miles.

3 weeks ago I pulled up smartly (didn't activate ABS) and on releasing pedal it didn't come up and brakes were locked on. Had to get car AAd to garage, supposedly a reliable non-franchise rather than the local VW plateglass emporium. After some messing and calls to VW diagnosed a faulty master cylinder and changed it for a genuine VW unit for £350!

I picked car up and immediately noticed pedal was higher but as brakes worked didn't worry too much. However, earlier this week after 15 miles of dual carriageway speeds the car started to shudder and needed more power to maintain speed. Pulled up suspecting a flat and greeted by very hot brake smell, clearly brakes binding.

This has persisted intermittently since. I have had wheels off and found by releasing a bit of fluid at the bleeds the brakes ease so system seems to be holding pressure after pedal is released. I have found this only on NSF wheel and OSR.

I read another post with similar problem where servo was replaced. I'm now worried that wrong work was done and maybe I need a servo as well, that given diagonal nature of problem, could it be the ABS pump (vast £s) and how do I get a reliable fix, ideally without darkening the doors of VW. garage who did master cyl is already making negative noises and he's not even had the car back yet!

Any advice would be very welcome.

bobber
03-07-2006, 08:41 PM
you have just put into words exactly what i have been going through.it doesn't happen all the time but more now than again! i work at a honda main dealer.they have been very good.stripping cleaning and bleeding the brakes.but it still happens.what's going on? they don't have this problem with hondas you see.my car would be better than any honda if only i could fix this problem.

glynnd
03-07-2006, 09:02 PM
When you last replaced the pads did you replace the guide pins?

:biglaugh:

Chriscross
03-07-2006, 11:51 PM
The pads all appear to have plenty of meat. Up to my ownership the car has had all work done at VW no expense spared as a company car so presumably they did all jobs properly lthough I have no way of checking this other than by changing the pins myself. I don't think the problem is mechanical sticking as releasing hydraulic pressure at the bleed valves immediately eases the brakes.

brayster99
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
i have the exact smae problem with my 2002 51 plate 2.5 TDI.

History as follows;

Broke hard causing RNS brake to lock - replacing brake pedal clip and brake light switch

Air plenum flooded. Replaced Brake master cylinder

Adjusted handbrake - causing brakes to stick intermittently. Replaced brake disk and pads. Brake light switch

Intermittent brakes problem still occuring. Occastionally the glow plug indicator on the dash comes on whilst driving. Can un-stick brakes by pumping the brakes hard and restarting the engine a couple of times.

Dodgy servo? ECU?

I believe the CCM to bo OK after flooding as al the interior electrics are OK.

Help!!

Caf
28-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi, I have had the same problem the calipers are OK and the pads have all been replaced the servo I noticed is rusty inside but even after applying some lubrication to the inside of the servo this has made no difference, it seems that after 20 miles or so of constant driving that the brake pedal position rises and the brakes are binding, I would have chanced changing the master cylinder but after reading previous treads I cannot understand how the servo forces the brakes on when the car has driven for 30 minutes or so. I would appreciate some help with this pain of a problem.

Andy Boost
07-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi'
I've got exactly the same braking problem with a 51 Passat 1.9 TDi Sport ( 102K ).Visually, all pads + discs perfect.
Did you finally fix your car??
All suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks, Andy B.

brayster99
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
i eventually changed the servo which was full of water and completely corroded. Its seems to have done the trick.

If you're anywhere near Chelmsford, Essex I'd recommend vwtec.co.uk