PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive headlights means no separate fog lights

ukgroucho
16-08-2013, 07:34 AM
This only just occurred to me when I was looking at the front of my car. I dug around on the audi web site configurator and basically you only get the two small circular fog lights in the front valance if you have the base halogen headlights.
As soon as you upgrade to adaptive headlights , bi-xenon or LED, those fog lights disappear.

I'm guessing that the adaptive lights do some tricky stuff to provide optimum light in foggy weather when you hit the fog lights switch ....

Anyone got any insight or experience?

Guest 2
16-08-2013, 08:45 AM
You get some sort of all weather option on your headlight switch. See top left.

Normal Xenons don't get fogs nor LED headlamps.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/MFGF1/A6%20C7/DSCN0977.jpg

Courtesy of Mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernar
16-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Last winter I had a chance to try out the 'all weather' lights in fog... and it seem to work better than the normal xenon setting.... in that I could see deeper into the fog. With the standard xenon setting you get a 'wall' of light...

The difference between the light spread on all weather lights vs traditional fog lights (my wife's car has traditional fog lights) seemed to which part of the road was lit - with traditional fog lights the area directly to the front and sides of the car are lit, whereas with the all weather lights, the area lit was directly ahead..... bit difficult to really describe.... but in the main I think the all weather lights work.

Gary13
16-08-2013, 06:50 PM
I also have a question about adaptive headlights, I've ordered them on new A7 and paperwork says this option removes light and rain sensor? Does having them really remove auto lights and wipers? I would assume not as its an upgrade option but paperwork I unclear and sales are un convincing...

Wuffles
16-08-2013, 07:13 PM
I have adaptive lights, I also have rain sensors and automatic headlights in an A6. Presumably the same for the A7.

ukgroucho
16-08-2013, 11:57 PM
You get some sort of all weather option on your headlight switch. See top left.

Normal Xenons don't get fog lights

my old C6 A6 has xenons and it still had fog lights....

and yes my A6 allroad has adaptive bi-xenons and still has rain and light sensors so I cannot believe it would be different on the A7

NHN
17-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I find tha strange they remove the sensors, however, it could be the adaptives now rely on the high beam assist camera found on the mirror or they use the camera on the mirror without enabling high beam assist, to detect differences.