PDA

View Full Version : Hello - a couple of Newbie questions

Sportback72
13-08-2013, 10:34 PM

Hi there have just treated myself to this '10' plate A5 Sportback 3.0 tdi SE Quattro with 22k miles on the clock.

This is a real change for me as I've come from a Subaru Impreza WRX (Brilliant car, great fun, and super reliable)

The Audi is totally the other end of the scale, on comfort, power delivery, and perceived build quality. It's great, just different, but I haven't fallen in love with it yet, and to be honest i'm still missing the Subaru. But maybe this will change with time.

Anyway I have a couple of questions as I have been reading some horror stories about waterpumps going on 2010 3.0tdi models.

I have checked with the dealer that the car was purchased from and they say they have no record of the waterpump being replaced by them, and were a bit vague to say the least when asked if this was a problem that was known to them, and whether or not it should have been replaced on warranty. So I have posed the same question to Audi UK.

Is this something I should be worried about or was it a problem blown way out of proportion ?

Also I have to say that so far I'm not that impressed with the smoothness / intelligence of the Stronic gearbox. Now dont get me wrong it's perfectly driveable, but it could be better.

I get a significant pause in power delivery when transferring from brake and onto throttle when joining a roundabout for example. Also when braking gently and slowing down to join a queue lets say, the downchanges are not as smooth as they could be.

Can anybody tell me is there a software upgrade to cure this ?

I have one Audi receipt that says "Software update 2694 to ECU" carried out March 2012 any ideas what this could have been for ? If this was to cure the gearbox glitches then it hasn't done a great job IMO.

Anyway sorry for rambling on, any info or opinions on the above would be much appreciated. :-)

Guest 2
13-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Welcome to VWAF.

Lovely car, nice colour/wheel combo.

Because the 3.0 TDI is chain driven, not belt the waterpump often gets overlooked due to not being replaced with a cambelt. I haven't had mine done but I'm making a point when it comes to its next service at 94k. I assume this is why they're failing as they're not being changed.

Re the s-tronic, a gearbox oil change may help things and it does wonders for people and the cars when it's done. It's a service item but not due to 38k but there's no real harm in getting it done for peace of mind.

Was the car bought from an Audi dealer? Full Audi history?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sportback72
13-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi A6Chris, yes it was purchased new from an Audi dealer in Southampton, and serviced there as and when required.

The waterpump failures I have read about are not worn out by high mileages, they are premature failiures some as low as 10k miles. Seems it was something to do with either plastic bodies or impellers, on models around 2010.

May have the gear oil done early at next service if it turns out there is no software upgrade to cure it.

Cheers.