PDA

View Full Version : How to Keep the Delivery Time to a Minimum

MikhailCompo
11-08-2013, 11:59 PM
New poster, never owned a VW before, never owned/ordered a new car before, never owned a car less than 9 years old!!! Big changes! With you lots help, hopefully I can make the correct decisions at this stage.

So, getting a lease car, have been advised long lead times on the entire VW Audi Seat group, due to demand. They have suggested 8 months for a Golf??!

I would like the 1.4 122 SE with a number of extras, or a 1.4 140 GT with only 2zone climate control (definite) and possibles: xenon lights, phone thing, DCC (adaptive chassis control as i have concerns the GT might be a tad too stiff for general driving/for gf to drive).

If we went for a GT with only say three upgrades, would the lead time be less than an SE with more upgrades? Does it work like that to any extent? Would a plain GT with no extras arrive quicker?

Also, does anyone know if certain extras have particularly long lead times? There have been some comments on the forum alluding to that (e.g. heated windscreen not available until November). Would dealers know if certain options are having stock/install problems?

Thanks

a8toa6convert
12-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Reversing camera has caused holdups recently. I wouldn't worry about the GT passive suspension being too harsh: I'm pretty picky about ride quality and the Mk7 GT is fine on the standard 17s.

pango1in
12-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I would agree with the suspension. The GT is not that firm. It is comfortable.

I drove the wife's car yesterday and it was wallowing all over the road.

As for extras, I had metallic paint, xenons, climate control, winter pack and pro satnav. My delivery time was 9-10 weeks. It felt like a long time...:D

Norbreck21a
12-08-2013, 08:39 AM
If you want the quickest delivery, then you might need to be flexible on options and colour. That way the dealerships can scour all VW UK dealerships and see if there is a car in stock that matches (or very close to) your chosen criteria. If however, you want a very personal set of options and are not willing to compromise (and to be honest, no one would blame you if you didn't, as a lot of us have ordered exactly what we want), then it will be a factory build.

Even for a factory build, I would very much doubt 8 months would be an accurate lead time. I ordered a GTD (and those as well as the GTi models, are know to have extended lead times), and mines due mid September for an April order - that's 5 months. Don't get me wrong, it's long enough, but not 8 months. For a "standard" model Golf, I would expect a factory order to take approx 3-4 months only.

maisbitt
12-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Reversing camera has caused holdups recently. I wouldn't worry about the GT passive suspension being too harsh: I'm pretty picky about ride quality and the Mk7 GT is fine on the standard 17s.

It depends what you're used to. If you are used to 15" wheels then you might find the ride a bit firm. I myself am a few weeks away from getting a GTD with 18" wheels as standard. The demo I was in had a fine ride (for 18"), someone else might not think so, although I currently drive a Scirocco with 18" wheels. Passengers are generally more critical of ride than drivers - they have fewer distractions whilst in the car. Get yourself out on a test drive and see for yourself is the best way to decide if you are ok with the ride. VW ride is gernerally less harsh than Audi, like for like.

The standard Golfs right up to GT spec are generally ok for build delays, unless you specify rear camera (you can't actually spec it on a new order right now). ACC might also cause delays, right now no other option seems to delay a Golf. You should see it in 12 weeks. Order a GTI or GTD though retail channels and you'll be waiting 20-25 weeks typically, due to strict allocations.

Have you considered either a GTI or GTD? They come with Xenons and Dual Zone climate as standard amongst other things, and have considerably better residuals (GTI = 51%, GTD = 56%) than the SE and GT (45%) Golf which makes them around the same price to run. Those extras you might add are money lost come trade-in time, you will see almost none of your optional outlay back. Because of this and the better residuals, you will find a basic GTI only £20 a month more than a basic 140GT (and about £5 a month less than a GT with dual zone and basic Xenons without LED DRLs) and a basic GTD is £22 a month less than a basic 140GT (and about £50 a month less than a GT with dual zone and basic Xenons without LED DRLs). Some people buying through brokers are bypassing the allocation queues (orders made via fleet sales I presume) and getting one in 16 weeks.

You can get more car for the same or less money via solutions if you trade in every 3 years and are prepared to wait for a GTI/GTD. Of course buying this way you are only really financing depreciation, so if you do intend keeping the car rather than trade it in every 3 years, you will have to find more money to buy the car outright at the end of the agreement (or at the start if it is a cash buy).

Edit: I see you are looking to lease, so depreciation gains are realised in lower or similar lease terms (monthly payment). You could lease a GTI for the same price as a GT that has a few extras, or less if you go for a GTD. Lease company orders are generally fulfilled via fleet sales which are not subject to strict allocation, so a GTI/GTD in a reasonable time period are possible. Do shop around for your lease - terms vary considerably between companies. I keep getting emailed by Brittania leasing - they have some special terms on certain cars that seem very enticing when they periodically email me.

OldBoy22
12-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi Mikhail,

I'm in the same boat as you. Leasing a vw via solutions for 3 years and then trading in. This will be the second car we have via this method and works for us at the moment. I was dead set on the GTD but the ride was too firm for my wife, who unfortunately has a chronic spine condition. Was a shame as the GTD is a TERRIFIC car to drive. We opted for the GT TDI instead. Test drove two of these and the ride is very good on the 17's. I personally don't think you need the ACC on this model and neither does the Mrs.

As others have rightly said the wait time is going to largely be dependant on what you're willing to compromise on. The standard GT is generously equipped and our only specification was that it was DSG. The dealer found us a GT TDI in black in VW stock so our wait time in 4 weeks for it to be shippers across and registered so we got lucky. The dealer stated that there are lengthy lead times for more specific orders and the GTD due to demand being so high so its really a matter of how long you are prepared to wait.

I doubt we will buy a car for a few years so we are happy to keep leasing. If we were buying than I guess I would of specified a few extras. Good advice from maisbitt above in regards to what leasing can unlock so to speak. You get a whole chunk of car if you are willing to pay monthly and not own outright.

Good luck!!!

MikhailCompo
12-08-2013, 08:32 PM

I would agree with the suspension. The GT is not that firm. It is comfortable.

I drove the wife's car yesterday and it was wallowing all over the road.

As for extras, I had metallic paint, xenons, climate control, winter pack and pro satnav. My delivery time was 9-10 weeks. It felt like a long time...:D

OK, thats really helpful, so in which case i will prolly ditch the DCC (adaptive chassis control - adaptive begins with the letter d it seems!????).

Current vehicle is a 2001 Carolla hatchback, so a Transit would feel firmer!!! :D

MikhailCompo
12-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Loads of useful information here thanks maisbitt and OldBoy22.

Should have stated in the OP - This will be a lease via Knowles Fleet (who have been great so far, at this very early stage), because my partner work for the NHS and her trust use them. So no way to shop around. Here are some quotes so far for info:

Standard (no extras) 1.4 GT ACT 5 door manual is £206.38 per month for £23,115 total (so that is £100 per month to me, for a brand new car including tax, insurance, servicing and breakdown cover - I am very lucky!

Adding about £2k of extras (9 of them) to a 1.4 SE is £226.31 per month for £23,220 total - Quite a difference in monthly cost despite just £105 difference in total cost. The numbers seem to indicate that the SE is in a different (higher) fuel duty band, and therefore more expensive due to less contributed by employer.

So basically, it will take some jiggling and I will need to get more quotes particularly of 3 door models that seem to have lower CO2 emissions. I will also get a quote on a GTI, although purely on the fact that it is 2 litre and what the GTI name means to my girlfriend, there is a fat ZERO chance of her agreeing to getting one of those! Maybe next time.....

Thanks to all replies so far, really useful in a difficult decision making process.

Keep the advice coming! :)

GTwebb
13-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Ordered my GT TDI with no extras gave me 12 weeks waiting time.