PDA

View Full Version : possible high mileage from a 3.0tdi ?

s7gpt
10-08-2013, 06:11 PM
ok how many miles do you recon these engines will do, is 100k reasonable to expect ?

zollaf
10-08-2013, 06:33 PM
100k to do what, run it in. yes, after 100k it would be run in. change the oil every 10k and you should see what, 500k ? before a rebuild.

Guest 2
10-08-2013, 06:44 PM
As Zol says 100k is easily achievable possibly 200k if she's kept in good shape with regular oil changes.

s7gpt
10-08-2013, 07:48 PM
cheers guys, that's re assuring, what about the Quattro drive gear, will that hold up well to that type of mileage too along with ancillary parts such as fuel injection / turbo etc ?

theskyfox
12-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Nice to hear the Common Rail engines can hold up as well as the old PD engines. I have a 3.0TDi myself and only 22k miles on it. Additional work for the future:

-Turbo should hold up, but will need de-coking at somepoint in its lifetime because of the backpressure from the DPF. I know many garages can offer this whilst you are having a service done (mine certainly does).

-DPF will need replacing (or removing if you prefer) at somewhere between 100k-130k ish miles (a dark art to predict..depending entirely on ash content).

-EGR Valve will die at some stage and need replacing, again this tends to get coked up

-Possible wheel bearings, but then this heads over to the bodywork/chassis side of life and can open a can of worms if you want to get pedantic and start looking at things like brake discs etc.

-Quattro: No idea..the current generation are using the US Torsen system which does not require any oil changes like the Haldex system did. They fit this to hummvees in the USA, so I'd like to think it can take some punishment!

-Clutch : if its manual, its going to need a new DMF and clutch eventually. But C'est la vie...same with any car really.

Thats all I can think of for the minute. But in fairness, all of this would need to happen on any modern diesel..its not exclusive to the 3.0TDi! Additionally use decent grade fuel (like BP ultimate) and avoid doing only very short journeys and you can at least slow the carbon buildup.

Look forwards to seeing your car in the VW Audi forum high mileage club! ;-)

-Andrew

s7gpt
12-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks Andrew, brilliant post, will post back around 100k then ( only another 60k to go :) )

s7gpt
10-10-2015, 07:07 PM
just seen this old thread, my car now has 66k on the clock and I've owned her just over 3 years, in that time I've had;
1. 4 wheel alignment & tyres all round
2. replaced levelling sensor for xenon lights
3. sensors for keyless entry on doors
4. wiper blades
regular oil changes along with air / fuel / cabin filters

fingers crossed she remains this reliable....