PDA

View Full Version : Suspension noise

JRL 2W
08-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Golf now approx. 6 weeks old with just over a 1000miles travelled. There has been a slight squeaking/binding noise from the front driver's side for a few days at relatively low speeds, but today it was much more noticeable, at speeds up to 40mph. Noise sounds like a either a dry rubber to metal conflict or a damper is not functioning correctly. Anyone else come across this? It is booked in tomorrow PM for an inspection at local servicing dealer. Will update when I know more.

microwork
06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Hi. Just saw your post. I have this noise from my passenger side - only have car for 2 days... Did you get to the bottom of your problem? Im going to have to send the dealer an email I didn't want to have to send.

JRL 2W
07-09-2013, 07:40 AM
At PDI dealer should have removed 3 plastic packing cones ( 2 pink and one yellow) from each side of the front suspension. These are factory installed to reduce vehicle movement whilst in transit. They were never removed on my car! Car has now been fully PDI'd again and a full suspension check carried out. All deemed OK. Dealer has offered £250 of M&S vouchers or £250 of servicing, to compensate me for the inconvenience. Have accepted the vouchers.

maisbitt
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
At PDI dealer should have removed 3 plastic packing cones ( 2 pink and one yellow) from each side of the front suspension. These are factory installed to reduce vehicle movement whilst in transit. They were never removed on my car! Car has now been fully PDI'd again and a full suspension check carried out. All deemed OK. Dealer has offered £250 of M&S vouchers or £250 of servicing, to compensate me for the inconvenience. Have accepted the vouchers.

Hopefully the Technician performing the PDI got £250 worth of specsavers vouchers too. Nice goodwill gesture there - I bet for a while you had sports suspension, the springs must've felt quite stiff!

JRL 2W
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Yes, ride over poor roads/sleeping policemen was rather poor, to say the least. Just thought the lower suspension on the GT was hard!

DW58
07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
I find it incredible that a dealer PDI could miss something as basic as that - unless of course it was the service technician's dog's cousin who actually did the PDI.

Where about in Scotland are you?

JRL 2W
08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I live in Shetland. We have a VW approved garage here, which can undertake warranty and servicing, but the Golf was purchased from a NE Scotland dealer.

microwork
08-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Just wondering can these cones be seen by looking under the arches or are they hidden under the bonnet?

DW58
08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I live in Shetland. We have a VW approved garage here, which can undertake warranty and servicing, but the Golf was purchased from a NE Scotland dealer.

Ah, got you - I'm near Elgin. I know our local Volkswagen franchise does quite a bit of business with Shetland customers. In fact my Mum's neighbour recently bought a Mk.7 1.6TDi S which had been returned to the dealer by a Shetland customer with less than 500 miles on the clock and traded for a 2.0TDi SE after only a couple of weeks - goodness knows what he lost on that deal.

dickt
08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Can I repeat microwork's question. Where does one see these packing thingies?

algarve
08-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Just wondering can these cones be seen by looking under the arches or are they hidden under the bonnet?

You won't see them by looking under the bonnet.

They are in the spring coils which are only partially visible by looking under the arches whilst on ground level.

JRL 2W
08-09-2013, 10:00 PM
There are 3 round plastic packers per side, each with a slot. The bottom one is yellow 70mm. diameter and 28mm. thick, the top 2 are pink 60mm. diameter and 28mm. thick. They were located on the ram part of the shock absorber and were just lifted out by the mechanic. He saw them straight away, once the car was up on the lift.