PDA

View Full Version : Remap VS Tuning box

Antowens
08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
which would we recommend ? i have been looking into remapping my car for a while now and thought yep thats what i will do but i have recently heard some good reviews about tuning box's (DTUK) so can anyone point out which one may be best for the car and would you recommend a map over a tuning box or vise versa

my car is a 2010 A4 2.0 TDI (143BHP)

Guest 2
08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
DTUK are actually a sponsor of the forum and have their own section here - Diesel Tuning UK (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?251-Diesel-Tuning-UK)

Do a quick search on here, you'll find that your ECU has to be opened up and programmed directly into the chip as 2009 onwards (ish) cars wont remap via the OBD port.

We also have some more remapping/tuning sponsors who can be found here - Site Sponsors - Directory Of Site Sponsors (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?215-Site-Sponsors-Directory-Of-Site-Sponsors)

mark.s.batt
07-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi, newbie to this to this. But I've just taken delivery of a new Gold Bluemotion mk7 company car (1.6 tdi 110bhp). Obviously I'm restricted by insurance and warranty concerns so following a lot of research, I'm going for a DTUK multi-channel fuel and boost bolt on system. I know bolt on's get a bad press but these seem for more extensive than any ebay 50p resistor kit and seems to hold its own on a full re-map (we will have to see). It seems kind on my warranty and insurance concerns and can be removed if needed. I spoke extensively with Andrew, the owner which put a lot of reservations to bed and seems genuinly on hand to help out with info
I'll post a more extensive review follow fitment and when Ive had a play. My previous remap experience was a custom code remap so hopefully will be able to make a good assessment.
Mark

Owendavies
27-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi, newbie to this to this. But I've just taken delivery of a new Gold Bluemotion mk7 company car (1.6 tdi 110bhp). Obviously I'm restricted by insurance and warranty concerns so following a lot of research, I'm going for a DTUK multi-channel fuel and boost bolt on system. I know bolt on's get a bad press but these seem for more extensive than any ebay 50p resistor kit and seems to hold its own on a full re-map (we will have to see). It seems kind on my warranty and insurance concerns and can be removed if needed. I spoke extensively with Andrew, the owner which put a lot of reservations to bed and seems genuinly on hand to help out with info
I'll post a more extensive review follow fitment and when Ive had a play. My previous remap experience was a custom code remap so hopefully will be able to make a good assessment.
Mark

Mark,

Any update on the DTUK box? I enquired about one with Andrews but didn't go any further at the time due to the DPF on my car.

-----------------------------------

I did a little search on the t'interweb and found this interesting little video from Audi:

DPF Technology < Owners area (http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/dpf-technology.html)

I drive a 50 mile round trip to work and back; with a tuning box potentially putting out more smoke/soot, but running at motorway speeds a lot of the time is it likely l'll get a problem?

Cheers.

Owen.

Guest 2
27-11-2013, 11:11 PM
If the car is out of warranty get a remap and dpf innards removed.

Owendavies
27-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Nah, still very much within warranty (about 11 months left), might extend it when it expires too. So the box might be the better option for me at the moment.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mark.s.batt
28-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Morning chaps,

Sorry for the delay in replying been dealing with a broken foot after taking a 'duck n roll' chasing a taxi.... yes I was sober ;) Anyway back to topic. Ordered my DTUK Box which arrived in about 18 hours from the phoning in the order. So will run through my impressions.
1. Packaging and instructions - Fitting instructions are first class, pictures looked identical to my car in ever single way (2013 Mk 7 Golf Bluemotion) with simple easy to follow directions. Even being on crutches with a broken foot fitting was under 5 minutes, the biggest pain trying to undo clips with cold hands. It really is that easy, two plugs and you are done. I think next I'll be changing the panel air filter so the car can make the most of the air its breathing.

Note - Car had to go into VW for a suspension issue, took the unit off as easily as it went on

2. Adjustment/different maps - There is also a large amount of info provided on various maps and how to change the map settings. Here I'd like a little more info, ie there are some great graphs etc which I assume are different map and power/torque curves, but thats my point there isnt a lot of info explaining which is which (unless I missed it). In order to adjust the maps, you have to remove the rear of the box and adjust small pins to acess Map 0, 0+1, 1, 1+1, 2, 2+1..... etc. The photo instructions here are very clear but a little info on what to expect from each map would be good (ie aggressive, economy, smooth etc). It could well be that as this is a new car there isnt a lot of info on different maps and they're waiting to get feedback. I'm going to start playing with different maps over the next few weeks.

3. Performance - As said I fitted the device without adjusting any map settings and I have to say I'm impressed. The golf suffered from low down lag and very long gearing so trying extract any ooomph from under 1500rpm in 4th or 5th was a no no. With the the box fitted it pulls a lot easier lower down and seems to give you a good amount of poke all the way through the rev range. Definitely seems to be less a requirement to drop down gears on hills or for over taking.

I'd like to see a bit more of a thump from the device but I think that will come with playing with the map settings which will take some time. In all very pleased with the device and DTUK, I've checked blogs and spoke to loads of different tuning companies before purchasing and like has been said by so many the feedback from DTUK and advice has been brilliant. Yes they are pricier than many out there, but for my money I would put quality over price any day.

mark.s.batt
28-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi Owen,

I've heard DPF issues have kicked about on chip and tuning box cars..... I know for a fact on my old seat ibiza 130tdi, it was tuned with a custom code standard chip and she used to throw some soot out under load, though this never seem to cause any mechanical issues and passed MOT every year, still does to this day as my other half now uses her for her commute.
I've not noticed any issues thus far with the golf.... none of the usual plooms of smoke left at the lights like with the ibiza but will look more closely when i try different maps out with the box
ta
Mark

Andrew@DTUK
29-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Mark,

Any update on the DTUK box? I enquired about one with Andrews but didn't go any further at the time due to the DPF on my car.

-----------------------------------

I did a little search on the t'interweb and found this interesting little video from Audi:

DPF Technology < Owners area (http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/dpf-technology.html)

I drive a 50 mile round trip to work and back; with a tuning box potentially putting out more smoke/soot, but running at motorway speeds a lot of the time is it likely l'll get a problem?

Cheers.

Owen.

owen

weve tuned 100s of the 2.0 170 CRs and we've had no reported issues with dpfs

my advice would be to keep away from supermarket fuel, and don't drive like a granny :)

mark.s.batt
29-11-2013, 09:44 AM
police office - "why were you speeding?"
me - "to protect my dpfs" ;)

Andrew@DTUK
29-11-2013, 12:10 PM
police office - "why were you speeding?"
me - "to protect my dpfs" ;)

no comment :)

mark.s.batt
06-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

Spent the morning having a play with the DTUK Box today thought I'd post my feedback.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I wanted to try and extract a little more poke from my box, so going through the intructions which were actually more informative than I first thought once you get a little involved I decided to stick with the map it was supplied with, which was Map 1 I think, based on the power/torque curve on the instructions it looked to be a smooth power curve from low in the rev range all the way though. What I did want to do, try the map on zero +1, +2 etc which increases the map variables hopefully giving better power increases. This has to be done gradually according to the instructions, as to sharp a change can result in a rough running engine.

To change the the zero +0 which the box was supplid with you have to remove the device from the car (simple plug will do) and remove x4 star bolts from the rear of the unit, two screws securing the circuit board which allows you to access the circuit board to adjust the settings. Might sound daunting playing with circuit boards but its really quite easy! Now you can get to the board all you do to move from zero +0 to zero +1 is remove a small pin and move it over to the pin next door which is your +1. There are another two pins which will allow you to +2, +3 etc. In all very easy and takes a few minutes.

So... how'd I get on? Well the plus +1 gave a moderate increase so feeling brave I moved straight to zero +2 and WOW made a real difference. The car pulls really well, and give you a nice little shove which with the original 110bhp it was hugely lacking! So far I cant see any tell tail signs that I've been too greedy with my power gains, with no engine management light, no smoke and she does not appear to be running roughly.... hard to tell with an oil burner as they will always sound a bit like a tractor!!

Going to stick with the zero map for a while and see how I get on, as suits my driving, allowing me to change up nice n early to save fuel or have the grunt all over the rev range when I need it. Though I do wonder..... will I get away with a zero +3 :D

So in summary so far my relationship with the DTUK tuning box has been a very good one

Owendavies
06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Really good feedback, thanks Matt. I think l'm going to plump for one in the new year, as my boiler has just broke down and been replaced!

Andrew@DTUK
06-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

Spent the morning having a play with the DTUK Box today thought I'd post my feedback.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I wanted to try and extract a little more poke from my box, so going through the intructions which were actually more informative than I first thought once you get a little involved I decided to stick with the map it was supplied with, which was Map 1 I think, based on the power/torque curve on the instructions it looked to be a smooth power curve from low in the rev range all the way though. What I did want to do, try the map on zero +1, +2 etc which increases the map variables hopefully giving better power increases. This has to be done gradually according to the instructions, as to sharp a change can result in a rough running engine.

To change the the zero +0 which the box was supplid with you have to remove the device from the car (simple plug will do) and remove x4 star bolts from the rear of the unit, two screws securing the circuit board which allows you to access the circuit board to adjust the settings. Might sound daunting playing with circuit boards but its really quite easy! Now you can get to the board all you do to move from zero +0 to zero +1 is remove a small pin and move it over to the pin next door which is your +1. There are another two pins which will allow you to +2, +3 etc. In all very easy and takes a few minutes.

So... how'd I get on? Well the plus +1 gave a moderate increase so feeling brave I moved straight to zero +2 and WOW made a real difference. The car pulls really well, and give you a nice little shove which with the original 110bhp it was hugely lacking! So far I cant see any tell tail signs that I've been too greedy with my power gains, with no engine management light, no smoke and she does not appear to be running roughly.... hard to tell with an oil burner as they will always sound a bit like a tractor!!

Going to stick with the zero map for a while and see how I get on, as suits my driving, allowing me to change up nice n early to save fuel or have the grunt all over the rev range when I need it. Though I do wonder..... will I get away with a zero +3 :D

So in summary so far my relationship with the DTUK tuning box has been a very good one

Mark

Great feedback ;)

Have you not tried the other maps yet?

mark.s.batt
06-12-2013, 01:16 PM
No, not tried the different maps yet as based on the torque curves supplied in the instructions this one suits my needs. The others look similar but the map zero seems to have the more linear torque power curve and seems to come in from low in the rev range. The others look like they might give a little more poke but come in a little high in the RPM range with a steeper torque curve. What I really want is a nice smooth power delivery and map zero seems to deliver it, might try zero +3 latter today but not sure I can be ***** to go outside and take the unit apart again, also it will allow me to make sure zero +2 really is working faultlessly

mark.s.batt
06-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Sod it, going to try the unit on zero +3 n see how I get on. Will give it a week or so on this map and try the others. Questions - if the car is currently running fine map zero +2 when I try another map will it be safe to assume I can jump straight in on map x +2??
Mark

Great feedback ;)

Have you not tried the other maps yet?

Owendavies
24-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Sod it, going to try the unit on zero +3 n see how I get on. Will give it a week or so on this map and try the others. Questions - if the car is currently running fine map zero +2 when I try another map will it be safe to assume I can jump straight in on map x +2??

Did you try it? I'm still umming and arring between remap or box. Need to do a list of advantages and disadvantages I think :)

Tried the other maps yet? Sounds good to get more map info. Think that's probably what's holding me back a bit.

B5-Passat-1988
28-01-2014, 09:40 AM
I bought a cheap tuning box, £30 on ebay, and was told..." it would be useless, make no differnce bla bla bla..." etc. Its the best £30 ive ever spent. No issues whatsoever, car running, idling and starting like normal. Only differnence is bags more power and torque. My mate has a 150BHP BMW, which previously I couldnt get near. Now im right up his bumper! Sound investment.

110 AFN Engine Passat now pushing 140 easy!

mark.s.batt
25-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi,

Been a while since my last post but thought I'd run a summary. Had a few warranty issues with my car that led to a intermittent fault with the DTUK box, namely the box would run fine for week then randomly throw up an engine management fault light... across all maps in various situations. After a lot of discussion Andrew and home testing the fault was not pinpointed. However, Andrew explained that it could be something to do with my engine management system needing an update (its a brand new engine so it was possible) So, I booked the golf in for some minor warranty work and mentioned an engine management light, VW ran diagnostics found nothing but in the process updated all software on the car and since then BOOM they system has been running perfectly :) Throughout Andrew was on hand to discuss and help where possible offering a different unit if we could not find a solution after the warranty work.

In the course of my home diagnostics when the fault was there it forced me to go through every map thoroughly, and being a lower HP car it was hard to see MASSIVE differences, however there seemed to be two clear distinctions in the types of maps available, one being a low down smooth delivery for every day driving the other being a more spiked high end map which left you a little lacking lower in the RPM range but gave you a real thump when you get the RPM up a little. For me, it was the first which suited my driving style, was better for every day driving whilst giving me plenty of poke for when need it so I stuck with MAP 1 plus 2 but I encourage everyone to try and find one which suits.

The process was not problem free, namely down to having a brand new car and engine but seeing real world benefits to the system;

1. very smooth power deliver, as mentioned before gives me more power lower down the rev range so means no need to rev the engine up hills
2. Better economy, im seeing a 8+mpg improvement (based on digital readout) namely down to lower power delivery which means I can hold the higher gears without the need to down shift > the golf is long geared and the low HP was obvious in the hire gears when I would need to shift down and use a higher RPM
3. ease of use, found it very simple to use and install and change (i had to frequently remove to test the different maps)

Comparing it to a full remap, now its running correctly I cannot see any massive differences compared to my old ibiza and its custom code remap (which was a very good map). MAybe I could of got better gains, real world noticable.... I dont think so, and I can remove so do not invalidate my warranty which would be given if I had a full remap

edit: in previous post was advised by Andrew to avoid +3 maps as can cause issues, I followed this and didnt not test but +2 worked perfectly for me but encourage people to step gradually testing each step.... sounds like babble but the instructions are quite clear.

Sivaaji
03-04-2014, 05:35 AM
Hi All,

I have just ordered a new A6 tdi 177 and the car is arriving end May. Just checking who makes the best box under 400 quid? I have looked at DTUK, DTS, Chip Express and Spider and trying to figure out what to get? Many thanks

mark.s.batt
03-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Hi,

Cant comment on the other boxes, but I went through a similar routine when I looked to purchase my unit. Based on the reviews I've seen via google searches of forums etc there seems to be a more possitive reviews of the DTUK boxes. They arent the cheapest, but hopefully you are buying a little more quality. It worthwhile giving all of them an email, and seeing what sort of responses you get back from their technical support, again this was an important point for me when I brought the device that I'd have solid support if there was an issue. As mentioned on here, been really impressed with DTUK on the pre and post sale support as I did have an issue, which they helped fix.

In terms of my review of the unit, you can see above.

Hope this helps
Mark

Hi All,

I have just ordered a new A6 tdi 177 and the car is arriving end May. Just checking who makes the best box under 400 quid? I have looked at DTUK, DTS, Chip Express and Spider and trying to figure out what to get? Many thanks

Sivaaji
03-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks Mark