PDA

View Full Version : Gutted!

Leeconvery
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to share the pain and make you aware of an issue local to me (South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire). I woke up yesterday find a nice big space on my drive where my pride and joy was supposed to be. After a bit of panicked running around I established that very late Monday night, somebody broke into my house whilst me and my family were sleeping, picked up the basics such as my wallet, phone, ipad and my watch, made their way to my front door and pick up all my keys, before going back out the way they came and leaving in my car.

I doubt there is any chance anybody will see it but I thought that if anybody is on the lookout for Golfs, it would be you guys!

I had a pacific blue, 2.0 TDI SE, there aren't many around yet, less with this spec and fog lights and fewer still that have just had some of halfords roof bars on the top!

The other reason I am letting you all know is that the guys who took mine, 20 mins earlier had tried to take a 2011 golf off somebody elses drive, they could find his keys so went upstairs and went through his clothes to try and find them. They left empty handed and head directly to my house for mine. Fortunately they keys were downstairs so there was no need for them to come upstairs.

Police have said they have had a lot of issues recently with the golfs getting lifted, so I just wanted to give anbybody in the area the heads up. Get your new shiny toys out of sight if you can, if you can't and you have a family - leave your keys where they can be spotted easily - I know this is a contentious issue for most, but as I found out, if I hadn't have left them out, these guys would almost certainly have come upstairs for them. And with two little people in the house, I am happier to let them find them and take them. Its a company car and its insured.

I am gutted and now looking at a lengthy wait for a replacement. I only got this one in June!

zollaf
07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
very sorry to hear of this, it must be very traumatic. the problem is that cars are just too hard to pinch but car thieves won't change career, so something has to give. will the day come when people just leave the keys in their cars for fear of being robbed, or take matters into their own hands and make it so anyone breaking into their house won't actually get out in one piece ?

Leeconvery
07-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I completely agree, my wife doesn't want another golf on the drive and I can't think of a way of preventing the same thing happening again. I thought about getting a steering lock, but then thought its just another key they know I will have somewhere. If it wasn't for the insurance issue, it would definitely be better to leave the keys in the car and stop anybody wanting to get in the house.

zollaf
07-08-2013, 03:55 PM
i remember reading about a chap who had fingerprint entry on his merc. he was kidnapped so they could nick his car, then had his finger removed.

Leeconvery
07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I will give that one a miss then, although worryingly, my laptop was in the boot and that does require my fingerprint - thanks for that! I wont sleep much tonight!!

zollaf
07-08-2013, 05:18 PM
oh dear, not good.

Gt!
07-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Clifford alarms iirc offer a 'blackjax' module. This is an immobiliser that will allow the thief to drive the car a couple of hundred yards and gently cut the power,(it requires putting a pin code in each time you enter the car) and setting off the alarms siren. Basically putting some distance between thief and owner. Giving time to get the police involved. My heart goes out to you. I've had confrontations before, and it's a terrible situation to be in.... Fingers crossed you get your car back in good condition

DW58
07-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Terrible, I really feel for you.

Brycie
07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Jeez, you think you're safe in your own home at night when you lock your door. A dog may have given them second thoughts if they heard it barking as they broke in. Sorry to hear of this anyway, hope you & the family can put it behind you.

GTwebb
07-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Very sorry to hear your loss its a bloody awful thing to happen.

Sounds like a Hanoi burglary to me... they'll be a very organised gang. They usually target homes where they see where you leave the keys downstairs and where 5LMDL's on doors are insufficient and are easily snapped off. Police suggest people getting snap locks on doors and getting a nice big fat alarm installed on your house.

A colleague of mine had an A3 and a 320d stolen off his drive a bit back.. again was what police call a Hanoi burglary gang

Leeconvery
08-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Very sorry to hear your loss its a bloody awful thing to happen.

Sounds like a Hanoi burglary to me... they'll be a very organised gang. They usually target homes where they see where you leave the keys downstairs and where 5LMDL's on doors are insufficient and are easily snapped off. Police suggest people getting snap locks on doors and getting a nice big fat alarm installed on your house.

A colleague of mine had an A3 and a 320d stolen off his drive a bit back.. again was what police call a Hanoi burglary gang

The locksmiths are fitting the snap locks as we speak, looking at the other options such as big fat alarm and a bigger fatter dog.

GTwebb
08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
The locksmiths are fitting the snap locks as we speak, looking at the other options such as big fat alarm and a bigger fatter dog.

House Alarms are one of best deterrents you can get.. coupled with a dog even better !

Gerryf
08-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Such occurrences throw us off kilter so I'm wishing you and yours all the best :)

Antowens
08-08-2013, 12:23 PM
as said previous its going to get to a point were people start taking these matters into there own hands as you said mate i urge anyone who hasnt got an alarm to get one and have the door sensors put on soon as the door opens the alarm goes off can get same thing for windows and so on also cameras can be a very good deterant and also help to identify the robbers but if all else big dog and a big shot gun sounds good

hope everything gets sorted mate cant imagine the feeling and the aftermath this has left in your family

DW58
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
but if all else big dog and a big shot gun sounds good

There are times when the American/European right to defend one's property seems like it's a good idea.

pango1in
09-08-2013, 12:55 PM
I really hope you get your car back. But on the other hand, do you really want it back once nicked? At the very least, I hope they catch the people who did this.

MikhailCompo
11-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Really sorry to hear about your burglary mate. I hope that you get over the intrusion, it must be very unsettling someone being in your home at night.

I realise that this is a little off topic for my first post o nthis forum, but as I am on the verge of getting a new Golf, whcih will be the first time i and my gf have owned a valuable car, I (and i am sure other users too) would be interested to know how they got in and what security measure they bypassed to get into you house, so i can consider whether i need to upgrade my doors/windows/locks after getting a new car.

maisbitt
12-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Really sorry to hear about your burglary mate. I hope that you get over the intrusion, it must be very unsettling someone being in your home at night.

I realise that this is a little off topic for my first post o nthis forum, but as I am on the verge of getting a new Golf, whcih will be the first time i and my gf have owned a valuable car, I (and i am sure other users too) would be interested to know how they got in and what security measure they bypassed to get into you house, so i can consider whether i need to upgrade my doors/windows/locks after getting a new car.

Mikhail: how is your area for crime in general? All cars are hard to break into now, hence people getting burgled for their keys. If you live on a street with seclusion and your car is noticeably better than average on your street you may have more to worry about. Security measures should be relative to risk. I do see those "disklok" steering wheel locks making a big comeback, on the assumption that you don't leave the keys to the unit on your car keys. They are a big visual deterrent. If someone is determined to take "your" car, all you can do is dissuade them by making your car less convenient/riskier to steal than the next one.

MikhailCompo
12-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Mikhail: how is your area for crime in general? All cars are hard to break into now, hence people getting burgled for their keys. If you live on a street with seclusion and your car is noticeably better than average on your street you may have more to worry about. Security measures should be relative to risk. I do see those "disklok" steering wheel locks making a big comeback, on the assumption that you don't leave the keys to the unit on your car keys. They are a big visual deterrent. If someone is determined to take "your" car, all you can do is dissuade them by making your car less convenient/riskier to steal than the next one.

We are in a very low crime rate, in fact on checking the local stats only one car stolen and i think that was in fact my partners 1989 Fiesta! Needless to say, very easy car to get into and was nicked by some kids who took it for a joy ride and then dumped and torched it. Insurance company offered £50 for it.

Safer Lancashire (http://www.saferlancashire.co.uk/2011/statistics/table_view/table-ward-rolling-20081231.asp)

I am not really all that concerned to be honest. Parking away from home will be the biggest concern.

Leeconvery
11-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Well, just over 2 months later and I am now expecting my replacement golf next week! I cant complain as since the first one was taken I have had a 2.0 mk5 with 90k on the clock to get around in - at 90k its quite nicely loosened up, proving that golfs don't die they just get faster! Sadly my mk7 was never seen again, although every time I see a pacific blue one I do wonder if it is mine. The one next week is exactly the same spec only its in white this time, so in a weird way I am very lucky, have managed to get two new mk7's in different colours in two months, preceded by a stunning mk6 before and a mk5 in the middle - that's 4 very different beasts in just over 2 months!! I guess that puts me in a unique position to check out the standard mpg and smearing issues...

Doctle Odd
11-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I suggest you install a GPS tracker on this car with a nice sticker on the window. I'd also set my alarm to night mode with a 10 second deactivation time. A nice bright PIR covering your car is a good deterrent too and bring your keys into the bedroom or put them in a drawer. I know these things are a pain to have to do but cars are very difficult to steal. I unlock the gun case at night the sideways '8' is the ultimate thief stopper but I don't think these type of thieves want any hassle or confrontation. Usually the flashing light on the alarm box and the PIR sends them on their way. Sorry about your car mate but it's really the invasion of your home that annoys the most

Eshrules
11-10-2013, 10:16 AM
And get a bloody big German Shepherd*

I've yet to see someone a GS considers an imposter come off well.

*Best dog in the world, IMHO - grown up with them including 2 ex police dogs who proved very useful when my folks citroen BX was broken into.

Leeconvery
11-10-2013, 10:16 AM
I suggest you install a GPS tracker on this car with a nice sticker on the window. I'd also set my alarm to night mode with a 10 second deactivation time. A nice bright PIR covering your car is a good deterrent too and bring your keys into the bedroom or put them in a drawer. I know these things are a pain to have to do but cars are very difficult to steal. I unlock the gun case at night the sideways '8' is the ultimate thief stopper but I don't think these type of thieves want any hassle or confrontation. Usually the flashing light on the alarm box and the PIR sends them on their way. Sorry about your car mate but it's really the invasion of your home that annoys the most

Thanks for the advice I agree with you about the keys, but as we learnt from the police this time, the guys that took our car also tried to get another golf not far away, as they didn't find the keys downstairs, they went upstairs and woke a guy up and threatened him for the keys. Sadly they had not gone into the right house as the golf didn't belong to him?! From my point of view, I have kids in the house and would prefer somebody come and find the keys easily and not bother coming upstairs.. Quick question, what is the night mode thing on the alarm - I haven't heard about that?

Leeconvery
11-10-2013, 10:18 AM
And get a bloody big German Shepherd*

I've yet to see someone a GS considers an imposter come off well.

*Best dog in the world, IMHO - grown up with them including 2 ex police dogs who proved very useful when my folks citroen BX was broken into.
Totally agree, a lot of people have said that even the smallest noisy dog will be a deal breaker for most, a big GS would certainly do the trick!

Doctle Odd
11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
On my alarm control panel there's a little door with codes on it so you can control different zones. I think it's called half set on some systems basically it disables the movement sensors in the house but arms all the doors and windows.
Thanks for the advice I agree with you about the keys, but as we learnt from the police this time, the guys that took our car also tried to get another golf not far away, as they didn't find the keys downstairs, they went upstairs and woke a guy up and threatened him for the keys. Sadly they had not gone into the right house as the golf didn't belong to him?! From my point of view, I have kids in the house and would prefer somebody come and find the keys easily and not bother coming upstairs.. Quick question, what is the night mode thing on the alarm - I haven't heard about that?

Leeconvery
11-10-2013, 12:43 PM
On my alarm control panel there's a little door with codes on it so you can control different zones. I think it's called half set on some systems basically it disables the movement sensors in the house but arms all the doors and windows.

Ah - I thought you meant on the car!! I was thinking how that could work?! I was thinking that maybe it was like a setting on the alarm that you could set at night that meant that when you unlocked the car in the morning you would have to wait a minute before getting in otherwise the alarm would sound... I may copyright that idea and sell it to VW!

Doctle Odd
11-10-2013, 01:39 PM
As the OP said you can have your car stop running a distance from your home I believe it requires a code but I've not seen this system and I don't know how it works

size12
11-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I thin the eat option it trying to stop them getting in in the first place.
If you have wooden doors fit a bs3621 mortice dead or sash lock. Plus a bs3621 night latch this will lock the door as you close it to stop the sneak in behind you burglary.
If uPVC or composite doors are fitted upgrade all your locks to TS007 3 star locks, if possible change your door handles to a fast lock lever pad design PAS 24 compliant.
Not all multipoint door locks can take fast lock handles to best to check first.

Hth

Leeconvery
11-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I thin the eat option it trying to stop them getting in in the first place.
If you have wooden doors fit a bs3621 mortice dead or sash lock. Plus a bs3621 night latch this will lock the door as you close it to stop the sneak in behind you burglary.
If uPVC or composite doors are fitted upgrade all your locks to TS007 3 star locks, if possible change your door handles to a fast lock lever pad design PAS 24 compliant.
Not all multipoint door locks can take fast lock handles to best to check first.

Hth

Thanks, we have had all the locks upgraded (well above the level the insurance company was prepared to pay for), not sure what the model numbers are but by all accounts there was nothing better we could have fitted. Really appreciate the advice though.

Norbreck21a
11-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Very very Sad, and as some have said quite traumatic, knowing someone has been in your house.

Thing is what do you do. Drive a round in a shed of a car for fear of getting a good one nicked, feel unsafe in your own house and make it like Fort Knox - then those ba5tards have won !

I, like pretty much all on here, have worked bloody hard to get the lifestyle the wife and I currently enjoy, and I for one won't let a drugged up scroat change my life to suit him ! I have VRI on the Golf and if it get's nicked, sure I'll be upset, but at least I know I won't be financially out of pocket. It is after all only a car (wow.... did I just say that !), and these can be replaced. Family members can't !