PDA

View Full Version : After Eight months ownership - a few niggles!

Hammer2001
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Having bought my C7 A6 Approved used at just over one year old, I've now had it for about 8 months and have to say I'm loving the car.

The ride is smooth and I'm getting about 45 mpg on average on mixed roads and often over 50 when cruising on motorway and A roads.

I had one main issue with the engine warning lights coming on. This turned out to be a known issue for some cars, for which a TSI was issued. This was fixed with no fuss by Audi.

I just have a few other minor niggles with the car:

1. I have the electric folding mirrors, and I notice the passenger one has started to groan a bit when folding out, like it needs lubrication.

2. I've noticed a squeaky sound from the gearstick when changing gear. It's more like the sound of a rubber bush squeaking if that makes sense. No problem per se changing gear but slightly irritating!

3. The MMI screen sometimes judders when opening or retracting. Other times it's as smooth as silk, so an intermittent issue.

Apart form those things I'me very happy with the car.

As it's still under warranty, I'll mention these issues when I have it serviced in a couple of months, and hopefully they can put them right.

Just wondered if any other owners have encountered similar issues?

Wuffles
05-08-2013, 11:28 AM
1. I have the electric folding mirrors, and I notice the passenger one has started to groan a bit when folding out, like it needs lubrication.

Yes, I've heard a few doing that. Only when it's dry, when its been raining it's fine. Mentioned at the dealers, nothing I am aware was done apart from perhaps from lube which then dries out in the hot weather and it starts again.

3. The MMI screen sometimes judders when opening or retracting. Other times it's as smooth as silk, so an intermittent issue.

Mentioned this before at the dealers and got a "no fault found when tested" bog standard answer. Impossible to reproduce unless I kidnapped a service desk rep from the dealers and kept them in the car.

Oh, and my sunroof squeaks even after the gold plated service it just had.

Hammer2001
05-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Looks like the MMI screen may be a known issue. Found this in the A7 forum:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?131186-Juddering-MMI-screen

boof
06-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Yes - as per Waffles, seems weather and climate dependent. I've yet to go out and douse mine in GT86 lube, though I'm not sure this will be much of a permanent fix given the mirrors are external!

2. I've noticed a squeaky sound from the gearstick when changing gear. It's more like the sound of a rubber bush squeaking if that makes sense. No problem per se changing gear but slightly irritating!

Yep - drives you nuts doesn't it? :)

Again I think this is due to the hot weather and the leather in the gaiter, or as you suggest some of the bushes, drying a bit. I'd be extremely interested if you get anywhere with a warranty claim or similar to get them resolved.

ti rich
06-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Regarding No. 2 mine went in to be fixed this week. They greased the linkage and all is well again - the mouse has gone!

dgarside
08-08-2013, 10:38 PM
So an update for you guys with juddering screens. Mine was in multiple times for this and on the last visit stayed in for over a week (I think). In the Audi sent the garage two different brackets and the final one fixed the problem. I've not had any sign of the problem since this visit.

FYI they had previously tried greasing, something to do with motor profile and replace bracket of same design which made it worse.

Stick with the garage and Audi,they can sort it :-)

Darren.

Wuffles
08-08-2013, 10:57 PM
So an update for you guys with juddering screens. Mine was in multiple times for this and on the last visit stayed in for over a week (I think). In the Audi sent the garage two different brackets and the final one fixed the problem. I've not had any sign of the problem since this visit.

This sounds mechanical. When I read juddering screen I assumed (wrongly) it was the problem that's been discussed before about the screen just not coming out in a timely fashion intermittently. Leaving you with a spot of guesswork when it comes to figuring out which beep related to what when reversing immediately after starting the car and being reliant on the screen for the graphic of the car.

About a minute after starting the car is my record for the screen just not playing ball. Then it casually comes out without a care in the world. THEN it seems to begin "starting up" for want of a better word. Navigation initialising for a while for example, which adds at least another minute.

Juddering is probably the best way to describe the mechanical fault. F*%king annoying is the best way to describe the software related issue. Although they are both annoying.