PDA

View Full Version : Revitalised my 2005 S4 leather interior

mjhamilton
04-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Today I took the plunge to try and revitalise the black leather in the S4 cab I bought a few weeks back

It was in pretty good condition but had been touched by the elements and children, also there was loads of crud between the seat stitching and panels

With a combination of hoovering to remove as much matter as possible and a steam cleaner with terry cloth I am amazed by the results, layers of grime and slime was removed - used the stream nozzle with a small brush to blahs the much between panels and in the stitching. To make thing easier I ripped the lower back bench out to get access between all the cracks

Once steam cleaned I used a rough cloth to apply Autoglym leather revitaliser, left this to soak for an hour and then used a soft lint free cloth to buff away the nasty shine

I was worried the steam cleaner would damage the leather but it didn't at all, it made short work of all the muck, marks and stains and really did an awesome job

Very pleased

Microsoft SkyDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Web Apps. (http://sdrv.ms/184DwAF)

Guest 2
04-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Looks good! Wll be using your technique when I tackle my A6s leather this week.

Loving the other pics too ;)

mjhamilton
04-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I was a little anxious about using the steam cleaner but did my research

For horrible leather that has a nasty plastic coasting and lacquer this won't work but for the audi who's leather is open and porous it's perfect

Steam cleaner brush head wrapped in a terry cloth is key - and then a separate clean soft cloth to wipe the excess water away - use the jet nozzle with small brush head to get into the seams and stitching, be very gentle as not to scratch the now soft leather - this loosens the bits of crud that will eventually eat the stitching and break threads in the future, again wipe with a cloth and then use a Hoover with brush attachment for belt and braces

I did one seat first complete to test and the leather felt softer, more supple and looked totally different so I had no choice but to do the rest ;)

Terry cloth had grime all over it that was just being pulled out as the steam opened the pores

AG leather feeder was applied sparingly and left for about an hour, I applied more layers onto heavy traffic areas such as the bolster - you know when the leather has maxed out as you start to feel a sticky sensation as you try to rub more into the leather - this stage looks a little nasty and shiny but not to worry after the hour is up go back with a nice soft cloth and gently wipe to get a lovely Matt finish

One of those jobs that was very satisfying - just like cleaning the engine bay ;)

mjhamilton
05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Gave it one more lick of feeder this afternoon and left some excess on the bolsters and high traffic areas to soak in. This time I was more aggressive with the rubbing and kept adding until the I was left with a surface layer that wouldn't disappear

Went back an hour later and buffed with a clean cloth to a perfect Matt sheen

Looks amazing now for the effort, no crud of bits between the panel stitching and leather feels soft and supple - the dry lines one the edges have now closed up as the leather has 'swollen' from being fed

Car smells really nice inside now which is a nice by product

gupsterg
07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I recently fed my leathers with AG and was unhappy with the finish as it seemed to white out and a little google revealed the technique you've used on another forum , must do mine as well like you :) ...

Your mods and car look great :fing02: , great collection of pic in your skydrive :D ...

mjhamilton
07-08-2013, 09:55 PM
I worked that one out the hard way as well

Years of build up of bodily fluids and the pores if the leather being closed simply repels any feeder or balm

Steam cleaning heats the slime up and then it can be wiped away with a soft cloth

With pores open from the heat the feeder now soaks in

I have now buff a little too much and made the finish a little more Matt than I would prefer but can use a little more on a soft cloth to fix that

All in all I am happier and the leather feels so much better - seats are also more comfy if that makes any sense :)

And am very pleased with the car, mirrors were a lucky find on eBay and for me essential for the true S look

gupsterg
07-08-2013, 10:29 PM
You wouldn't believe the thread I read at first posters were not convinced steam clean work as such and would wreck leather, when one did after other highlight they were all convinced! LOL ...

What steam cleaner did you use mate? http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smile.png ...

mjhamilton
07-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I have a karcher, it's more than a few years old now but I think this is the latest version http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/direct/karcher-sc1020-steam-cleaner/208-0057.prd

As for it not working?? I couldn't see why it wouldn't... No matter the leather type throwing hot moisture and wiping afterwards is always going to lift off the stubborn muck from any surface

My only worry was pulling the colour out of the leather but the key here is to briskly rub with the towel covered steam head and wipe - do not leave it in contact for long periods in one place or let the leather get soaked through (in laws have owned a dry cleaners for over 25 years and my father in law was full of useful information on stuff like this before he passed away)

All common sense really

gupsterg
07-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Thank you very much for info and share :fing02:, it is more detailed than other thread :) ...

(in laws have owned a dry cleaners for over 25 years and my father in law was full of useful information on stuff like this before he passed away)

Sorry to hear that , I did like rest of your post but couldn't click like due to this and not wishing to cause offense ...

mjhamilton
08-08-2013, 07:37 AM
No offence would have been taken - just glad the old dogs knowledge and experience could be put to use after he is gone ;)

Quattroo
13-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Looks Sweet! ;)

mjhamilton
13-09-2013, 04:06 PM
yep and still looking good after lots of use and abuse