PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle Guide bush 98 Avant 1.9tdi

desh
04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Hello there,

I'm wanting to replace the o/s guide bush.
It looks like a bit of a job.
Has anyone done it/ have any tips?
thanks

green A8
08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
I take it that you mean one of the pair of bushes that mount the rear axle directly to the body of the car?

If so the quickest way to do the job is to get the dedicated tool I think they're around the £120 mark and can be found for sale on ebay The bushes can be got from GSF for around £11 each,I think Eurocarparts charge around the same. I'd suggest doing the pair while you were at it. I'd also suggest buying a pair of new mounting nuts and bolts from your friendly main agent as the existing ones will be pretty corroded. Soak the existing nuts/bolts in penetrating oil for a few days or weeks to ease the pain of removal. The job itself is pretty straightforward. If you're lucky you'll only need to unbolt the lower shock absorber mountings. From memory, I think there should be enough room to get the bushes out without disconnecting either the brake flexy hoses or the handbrake cables. Take extreme care that the axle is very well supported, trust me you don't want it to crack you on the head!

desh
08-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I take it that you mean one of the pair of bushes that mount the rear axle directly to the body of the car?

If so the quickest way to do the job is to get the dedicated tool I think they're around the £120 mark and can be found for sale on ebay The bushes can be got from GSF for around £11 each,I think Eurocarparts charge around the same. I'd suggest doing the pair while you were at it. I'd also suggest buying a pair of new mounting nuts and bolts from your friendly main agent as the existing ones will be pretty corroded. Soak the existing nuts/bolts in penetrating oil for a few days or weeks to ease the pain of removal. The job itself is pretty straightforward. If you're lucky you'll only need to unbolt the lower shock absorber mountings. From memory, I think there should be enough room to get the bushes out without disconnecting either the brake flexy hoses or the handbrake cables. Take extreme care that the axle is very well supported, trust me you don't want it to crack you on the head!

Thanks a lot, I'll check for the tool but perhaps I can hire one as I can't imagine needing it more than once.