PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen replacement

jk88
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Just posted on the A7 forum, but I assume same applies to the A6 -

Has anyone out there had a windscreen replaced? Reason for asking is that I wondered if there would be more than one spec of windscreen depending on options like HUD, adaptive headlights, rain sensors etc? In the past I've had Autoglass (http://autoglass.co.uk/) turn up with the wrong screen for this reason, so just wanted to confirm they would bring the right one to avoid wasting time.

ps think it's been mentioned before, but combining the A7 and A6 forums would seem to make sense since most of the oily bits are the same ...

Brycie
02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
A couple of others on here have refused non oem screens that autoglass were going to install by default & insisted/requested genuine Audi screens. I believe they got the screens they requested, but only after their insurance companies signed off on the extra cost first.

Some others may have more model-specific experience hopefully, but as a starting point I would contact AG & make the request for a genuine windscreen.

BigAid
03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Just had it done on Monday when they realised they has the wrong screen after taking the old one out - they luckily managed to get one same day.

This was the 2 / 2a option which caught them out below.

Options I know of

1. HUD - it has a layer

2. Has it got lane guidance - it has clear space for camera at top centre - MY11-MY14 seems to have the circle with a notch out at top for the headlights sensor.

2a. MY14 slightly different to above - Space is a circle with these - looks like they've moved the headlights sensor somewhere else.

3. Does it have a film on it - think this is more of a European thing where they have a heat protective layer built in - kind of purple looking apparently - but this blocks signals so don't think it's common on UK cars.

Passatier3
03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
All these different windscreens must be a nightmare for the replacement companies.

Had to have one replaced many years ago when times were simpler and company asked me if it was a grey or green tint - they got all arsey when I said I didn't know! Why should I? After a good look I decided it was green which surprised me as I expected it to be grey.

MAVAV
03-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Sadly I had to have my windscreen replaced, I have HUD and lane guidance. The oem part Autoglass supplied resulted in double images on the HUD, so I complained and they were happy to replace it with a genuine Audi part with no quibbles. I just had to wait an extra week to get the correct windscreen.

Johnny31
08-09-2013, 01:20 PM
On the last leg of my pan-European journey, a nasty chip "evolved" into the half-windscreen crack...:( Autoglass replacement booked for tomorrow but how can I check that the glass they bring is Audi original? Does it have rings on it? :) Worried as the guy on the phone only asked for the lane warning system and not HUD/adaptive lights (I only have the later but my screen looks significantly different from other A6s that I saw...

MAVAV
08-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Autoglass replacement booked for tomorrow but how can I check that the glass they bring is Audi original? Does it have rings on it?

Yes, this is what I got from Autoglass second time round and works a treat.22268

Johnny31
10-09-2013, 01:09 PM
aaaaaaargh... Autoglass guy showed up with a wrong plus non-genuine glass!
When I was booking, they even didn't insist on me spelling out all the options which I did anyway... so not really a surprise but annoying. The cherry on top was when he told me - this is the first time I see such windscreen! Go figure. Now we're waiting for "their supplier to provide a quote which needs to be approved by my insurance".
All this made me wonder - why Audi service centres don't provide this???