PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen replacement

jk88
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Has anyone out there had a windscreen replaced on their A7? Reason for asking is that I wondered if there would be more than one spec of windscreen depending on options like HUD, adaptive headlights, rain sensors etc? In the past I've had Autoglass turn up with the wrong screen for this reason, so just wanted to confirm they would bring the right one to avoid wasting time.

@mark
03-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Yes.

I had my screen replace only a few weeks ago and I am due to have my screen replaced again on Tuesday

My insurance company insists I use National Windscreens. They came out, took one look at the car and declared that the screen would have to come direct from Audi because there are so many different types of screen depending on the options fitted, that they just don't do OEM glass for the A7. Not economical based on how few cars on the road.

Speaking to my dealer there are different screen options based on if you have HUD or not and also if you have things like speed assist, acoustic glass, insulated glass and others. Makes for quite a few different part numbers

So they went to my local dealer armed with the cars chassis number and the dealer ordered up the screen and of course it was a perfect fit.

This time, I have been waiting for TWO WEEKS for a new screen to be shipped from Germany. Got the call yesterday saying it had arrived so will be getting it fitted by National Windscreens on Tuesday

M1tchy
06-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes there are lots of different screens. Depends on options but mainly the HUD. It took autoglass 4 trips to bring the right piece for my wife's A5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@mark
07-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Yes there are lots of different screens. Depends on options but mainly the HUD. It took autoglass 4 trips to bring the right piece for my wife's A5.

A big problem is that the windscreen companies insist on using non genuine parts (normally) so have to work it out for themselves which one is the right screen

In my case, because the A7 is not that common, there is no point in them doing this so they have to get it from the dealer in which case the dealer has access to the cars build sheet and can therefore get the right glass first time.

BTW

National Windscreens came out yesterday and replaced my screen (again) and did an excellent job.

jk88
21-08-2013, 07:54 PM
So Autoglass came yesterday to replace the screen and did an excellent job. Starting with turning up with the right screen (not a given), the guy worked quickly and precisely throught every stage of the process, I was quite impressed with his skill and dexterity. The best bit was watching how the old screen was removed using a system of wires and pulleys to slice through the glue like an elaborate cheese wire. All the systems that depend on the screen work just fine, can definately recommend AG - not that there's much choice in the matter as most insurers insist on using them.

M1tchy
21-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Well thats good news. Glad it's all fixed for you. Yeah the modern way of removing a windscreen is very clever isn't it.