PDA

View Full Version : Fix on the way for iPhone Audi Connect issue for existing owners

ndiye
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Just thought I'd share some information that's new. As some of you will know you cannot connect an iPhone to your car via Rsap Bluetooth and inserting a sim disables bluetooth for regular bluetooth->car call connectivity. Well after much to and fro between myself and Audi Uk/Audi Germany over an even more protracted amount of time, a fix is on the way and is at an advanced stage of development. I managed to get some details and it will be in the form of a specially adapted cable that allows the handset iPhone to share its data connection with the car while at the same time supporting bluetooth connectivity to the vehicle as per usual. So not the best fix, but a fix all the same. The fix should be available in the coming months, the projection I was given that of approximately 3 months, almost certainly before the years end.
So definitely no dual mode built in module for us unfortunately. . . . . . . . .:(:(
This is information I have mined from Audi and the sources were very confident in the manner this was conveyed so I am very hopeful and thought I'd share this . . . . . . lets see when this happens.:confused::D:confused:

Wuffles
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Much the same as my Pioneer radio does (and has done for ages) in my van without any difficulty. I wonder how much they are planning to charge for the cable and whether they will have the presence of mind to allow lightning connections too as the old 30 pin is in deprecation.

retired99
02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
If you're going to need to connect a cable why use BT at all?

Do you know if this is an Apple only solution or are there other variants for , e.g., Android or W8 phones?

Whippy53
02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Much the same as my Pioneer radio does (and has done for ages) in my van without any difficulty. I wonder how much they are planning to charge for the cable and whether they will have the presence of mind to allow lightning connections too as the old 30 pin is in deprecation.

Whats the weather like over there at the moment? Watch the traffic on Sat, one of the worst weekends of the year in France also be aware my friend;

"March 2013 : France introduces new invisible mobile speed cameras. 20 of these are now operating on board unmarked police cars, mostly on the main north-south motorways. Since recording speed from a moving vehicle is not quite a perfect art, there is a slight tolerance; but vehicles clocked at over 140 Km/h in a 130 stretch of motorway are liable to get pulled over. A hundred of the new cars should be in operation by 2014."

Wuffles
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Whats the weather like over there at the moment? Watch the traffic on Sat, one of the worst weekends of the year in France also be aware my friend;

"March 2013 : France introduces new invisible mobile speed cameras. 20 of these are now operating on board unmarked police cars, mostly on the main north-south motorways. Since recording speed from a moving vehicle is not quite a perfect art, there is a slight tolerance; but vehicles clocked at over 140 Km/h in a 130 stretch of motorway are liable to get pulled over. A hundred of the new cars should be in operation by 2014."

It's been very nice. Heading back north early tomorrow morning to get a day by the pool in a hotel near St Malo before ferry on Sunday.

We don't generally speed on the motorways, but cheers for the heads-up. Next year's trip will probably be in the van if I've pulled my finger out and had it converted enough to use comfortably for 3 people. Depends on how quickly the A6 sells when we get back.

ndiye
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
If you're going to need to connect a cable why use BT at all?

Do you know if this is an Apple only solution or are there other variants for , e.g., Android or W8 phones?

From the many conversations I had its apparent that there is a considerable number of people complaining to Audi about the issue, and in my opinion its a number too large for Audi to disregard, and that is what's " inspired " them to put together a retrospective solution, now naturally the assumption is that the cross section of those users would show a range of phones are affected an thus Audi would develop the appropriate connectors/adaptors to make the fix . . . well . . .a fix. Cost was mentioned, around the £30 mark at which point my objection was they shouldn't expect any payment from me after all it is them rectifying a glaring their glaring oversight. The exchanges did get tense at times and harsh words were exchanged, I suppose that's why I got some answers. But in the end civility was once again restored and so it will remain . . . . unless . . . . lets wait and see.

NHN
04-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Its pretty bloody crap IMHO, vag really are scraping the barrel with a so-called fix that utilises a cable.

Why the hell cant they just reprogram the firmware to suit to allow, it really is a cop out.

There are already systems in place to determine if the sim plugged in is data or phone/data iirc, they just need to fix the programming for these things within the mmi.

I was playing with a mates A5 a while back that had a 3G MMI upgrade & it has the ability to offer such a system, but fails miserably because of IMHO bad programming.

The cable solution is a big step backwards for most as that's the whole point, to leave in pocket, not mess about with cables anymore.

Timothy Nathan
04-08-2013, 11:38 AM
As I said elsewhere, having been one of the loudest voices in the VAG vs iPhone debacle, and one of the harder workers for a fix, I gave up and bought a second hand Galaxy S2 from eBay.

This was a very, very good decision. It is at least as good as an iPhone; in some ways a bit better, in others not quite so good, but it is very much in the same ballpark.

Also, it has very much the same apps and connectivity as the iPhone. I had been concerned that having an iPad sort of locked me into the iPhone, but that is just not right. In all meaningful ways, the communications between the Samsung and the rest of my cyber world, including iPad, Exchange Server and PC, are unaffected.

But the real joy of it is that I get into the car....AND IT JUST BLOODY WORKS!!!

I cannot tell you how much of a relief that it.

One word of caution...if you get an S2 it will probably still be on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread. If you update online you will get 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. rSAP does not work on 4.0. You need to go to Samsung KIES and get 4.1 Jelly Bean. It's no problem and takes no more than 5 minutes, but you do need to be aware.

I very strongly recommend all VAG owners to lower their blood pressure and increase their free time by just getting a Samsung Galaxy and breathing deeply.

rSAP is available on other Android phone using this product (http://www.android-rsap.com/), but my view is that that just introduces another link in the troubleshooting chain, and is unnecessary when the Galaxy is a perfectly good phone.

NHN
04-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Couldn't agree more tbh, I've had Galaxy S, S2 & now the S3, got fedup with Iphone eco system locked in, JB's to use features etc, I still have some I devices purely for testing on clients cars when the need arises, but for now I'm staying with droid, although IOS7 looks different, we'll see, seems Tim Cook maybe a little less arrogant than his predecessor, so maybe he will help the needs of the many :)

I will say go to sammobile.com & or xda & install 4.2.2 as this is better than 4.1 by a mile, not official release, but the latest official Samsung beta is very stable, only negative thing is the loss of the led light toggle widget, bt this will reappear in release one would imagine.

Timothy Nathan
04-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I spoke to Samsung Technical Support and they said that 4.1 was the latest supported for the S2. Are you you sure that your 4.2.2 isn't on the S3?

But any which way, I am a believer in having as few reasons as possible for Support desks to be able to tell you to disappear, so I would prefer to have a supported version they will talk to me about than a rather better version they won't.

I have 4.3 on the Nexus 7, and it is, indeed, a little better than 4.1 on the S2, but I would describe the differences as rather superficial and trivial.

Could you draw my attention to a couple of killer aspects of 4.2.2 which would make me want to want it in place of 4.1?

NHN
04-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Ah sorry its the S2 plus that has the 4.2.2 upgrade path & I just checked & its now on release path, so has gone out of beta, which annoys the shxt out of me as S3 has been promised for ages, but afaik the S3 is now skipping 4.2.2 & moving straight to 4.3, which knowing Samsung will take another year.

As for technical support, I don't even bother talking to those jokers, they're for a better word, useless, so that's why I have no issues in running beta releases, Samsung CS & Tech are terrible these days as per my comments on another thread recently with the flagship F8000 series smart TV's.

Few things of the top of my head, the voice control to take a pic is very handy, the drop down quick select buttons has been expanded which is great to enable tether on the fly, its quicker, driving mode is useful where announces calls/texts contact names, there's others but cant recall them all currently, there are niggles which I cant recall also but its moving forward & up a bit, shame the upgrade cycles are so crap with droid & so fragmented aswell.

Timothy Nathan
04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
I agree that Samsung telephone support is crap.

But I cannot fault their eMail support. Here is the relevant example:

Dear Timothy,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I am sorry that you have been unable to gain a satisfactory answer from us {this was the telephone support desk I had complained about} regarding your rSAP query. I can understand your frustration as you want a definitive answer.

In answer to your query please note that:

- Android Version 2.3 (Gingerbread) supports rSAP.

- Android Version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) does NOT support rSAP.

- Android Version 4.1 (Jelly Bean) does support rSAP.

Therefore, as long as you are upgrading to Android version 4.1 and above, rSAP will be supported.

If you are currently only on Android version 2.3 then the FOTA update method (Firmware Over the Air) >> Settings/About Phone/Software - will update you to Android Version 4.0 as this is what has been realeased to you via your network provider over the air. Therefore if you update this way rSAP will not be supported.

I recommend updating via the Samsung KIES software which should allow you to update to the latest Android version available for your model 4.1 (Jelly Bean).

Please kindly note that you would require our Samsung KIES software downloaded and installed on your computer to update this way.

Please download and install the latest version of the software from the link below. It will come with all the necessary drivers for the computer to communicate successfully with your device, as well as providing software updates for your device when they become available.

NOTE: Before you download the program, make sure that your computer has the minimum systems requirements, shown at the bottom of the KIES download page, in order to run this software. Please use Internet Explorer to install the KIES software. Click the blue download button on the left on the screen and then select “Run”.

Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG UK (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP)

Once downloaded and installed make sure you have turned off Bluetooth and USB debugging on your device (Settings, Applications, Development), also make sure the device is unlocked and on the home screen. Then connect your device to the computer a USB data cable and launch the KIES software. After a short time KIES should then recognise and display the device.

You can view a useful video tutorial about the various features of the KIES software, including how to back up your important files and update the software on your device, by visiting the link below:

KIES TUTORIAL | SAMSUNG UK (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIESTUTORIAL/JSP)

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.

Kind Regards,

Naeve
Online Support Team
SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre

retired99
04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
The proposed solution, if as described, is no solution at all. Having to use a cable is nonsense.

If you have a MY13 car there are two practical solutions:
(1) As TM says, get a SAP capable phone. I was lent a MY13 car and which worked faultlessly with my Nokia N8 phone.
(2) Subscribe to this
Single Number | business phone services | Orange business | Orange business (http://business.orange.co.uk/home/small/products-and-services/services-and-accounts/voice-services/single-number)
service from Orange.

I own a MY14 car. I can connect my phone using SAP or use a SIM in the car and connect the phone using HFP BT.

The disadvantage of using SAP to connect the phone is that call records and text messages from the period connected using SAP do not appear in the phones memory.
I have gone with a SIM in the car for data and as a back up phone and connect my phone using BT in non SAP (HFP) mode.

NHN
04-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I agree that Samsung telephone support is crap.

But I cannot fault their eMail support. Here is the relevant example:

Tim that's a rare thing, as I have seen untold people complain about all there mediums of support.

onionman100
14-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the very informative investigation into our iPhone problems, I have just bought my new A6 avant with high prep. And could not connect to online services, just as you mentioned. Took my car to the audi dealership and the technicians spent some time trying out all different options, but did say my iPhone 4 is not rsap supported and could only use the telephone via Bluetooth,and that I could only use full options ie google maps 3d & online services if I were to insert a SIM card into dash only! Or replace my phone 😫

Really fed up as I like the iPhone and have had them for years.... However if this new cable becomes available this year I would be quite happy to give it ago 👍.
please could you give me any more information as to when this might be available ?
Can you please give me Audi's email so I could also write to them and complain... Every little helps & the more complaints they get the more they are likely to act on it ?
But its very encouraging reading your great post 👍😄
many thanks

retired99
14-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Thank you for the very informative investigation into our iPhone problems, I have just bought my new A6 avant with high prep. And could not connect to online services, just as you mentioned. Took my car to the audi dealership and the technicians spent some time trying out all different options, but did say my iPhone 4 is not rsap supported and could only use the telephone via Bluetooth,and that I could only use full options ie google maps 3d & online services if I were to insert a SIM card into dash only! Or replace my phone 

Really fed up as I like the iPhone and have had them for years.... However if this new cable becomes available this year I would be quite happy to give it ago .
please could you give me any more information as to when this might be available ?
Can you please give me Audi's email so I could also write to them and complain... Every little helps & the more complaints they get the more they are likely to act on it ?
But its very encouraging reading your great post 
many thanks

You say you have just bought a new A6. Is this new as in brand new or new as in used but new to you?

If it's brand new it could be a MY14 car. If it is MY14 you can put a SIM in the car to get the online services and connect your phone using bluetooth.

How to tell if it's MY14? I don't have a definitive answer, but MY14 cars have DAB radio and a powered tailgate as standard.

If you have a standard SIM somewhere, or can borrow one, you could put it in the car and see if you can connect the iPhone at the same time.

Wuffles
15-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Thank you for the very informative investigation into our iPhone problems, I have just bought my new A6 avant with high prep. And could not connect to online services, just as you mentioned. Took my car to the audi dealership and the technicians spent some time trying out all different options, but did say my iPhone 4 is not rsap supported and could only use the telephone via Bluetooth,and that I could only use full options ie google maps 3d & online services if I were to insert a SIM card into dash only! Or replace my phone 

Really fed up as I like the iPhone and have had them for years.... However if this new cable becomes available this year I would be quite happy to give it ago .
But its very encouraging reading your great post 
many thanks

Sorry, an Audi dealership spent time trying different options to get this working? Recently?

EvilPostIt
15-08-2013, 08:46 PM
I have a my13 car and have been using the orange single number service. It works perfectly and even more than I expected. For example it also syncs your phone book from the phone so that's still available, the recent calls etc too. The only problem I have found is the fact you can't transfer the call between the car and the phone... All text messages still go to the phone with the added fact that the phones still works through its daya connection and receives emails etc (i had heard that this was an issue with the rsap connection maybe someone could confirm...) Although I have also noticed the whole be more dog thing with O2 does anyone know if that works also?

onionman100
15-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Thank you for this information, I to am experiencing exactly the same problem and would love to find a iPhone remedy, my car is 10 month old , has the high prep with google maps etc but I cannot use it with my iPhone .
please can you give me Audi's email address so I can write to them and complain ? If this cable or development of one come to life or available please can you let us iPhone users know :-)
great thread and very interesting indeed ...many thanks

onionman100
15-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry but my car is 10mth old , so I think it is the MY13 with high prep. I have only had it a week and am still playing / learning about this system .
All I want is a phone to work with the car using rsap ? I suppose the only way is to replace the iPhone & go for a Samsung S3 ?
Not what I really wanted to do,as I have used the iPhones for years and quite like them.
Is there any other options?