PDA

View Full Version : Spec regrets

Gerryf
30-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Money is always my governing factor but I did specify a reversing camera and a cigarette lighter...

Are you kicking yourself over something you didn't specify ? or did you amend your order since signing on the dotted line ?

DW58
30-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I wanted to specify a reversing camera and was decidedly pee'd off by the recent deletion of said item from the list of available options w.e.f. 1st July.

Gerryf
30-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Can't say I blame you for feeling annoyed Rob....just be aware there is a VW specific aftermarket camera available :)

DW58
30-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I didn't know that Gerry - do you have a link/further details please as I would consider a retro-fit if possible.

Thanks.

Gerryf
30-07-2013, 04:57 PM
You're perfectly correct Mcmaddy but Rob missed the deadline......anyway, upon enquiry the aftermarket camera costs a whopping £995 from this Firm .....Grrr !.....the Firm visits Scotland once a month......at their prices they could visit every day.....lol

VW Reversing Camera (http://www.satnavsystems.com/main/reversing-camera-vw-golf-mk7/)

Sorry for getting your hopes up Rob.

DW58
30-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks anyway Gerry. My dealer tried various ways to get me a camera, but parts price is currently ridiculous at around three times the cost of speccing it on a new car. The only possibility at present is a contact from another forum has a source for genuine VW parts in Portugal at way below UK prices.

lozzer
30-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Mk7 Golf (with Pro Nav only) £695 by these guys (http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk)

a bit cheaper :)

I used them for my RNS 510 and they know their stuff.

DW58
30-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look.

dickt
30-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Now knowing how poor the 2.0 GT tdi engine with dsg is, I wish I had gone for petrol. This new diesel with dsg is worse than my mk 5 170 with dsg. Plus, I ordered and paid for the key-based memory seats, which were clearly available in the brochure, and which are written up in the manual. It was only after I got it home that I found out that such seats do not exist!!!

Lozzer - thanks for that link. I might use that for my daughter's polo.

Gerryf
30-07-2013, 06:39 PM
So how much did you pay for the imaginary seats dickt ?....more important ...did you get your money back.

Apparently, aftermarket Camera suppliers need your chassis number to ensure the kit works on non Sat Nav models.

Great link Lozzer :)

zollaf
30-07-2013, 06:49 PM
i regret that the first owner of my 80, nearly 20 years ago, didn't spec electric rear windows. it would be so nice to open them easily rather than having to lean over into the back.

mcmaddy
30-07-2013, 11:13 PM
carsystems.pl do genuine rear camera kits for the mk7. I've used them for bits and pieces before and they are too notch. don't be put off by location as nearly all VW bits are made in either Poland or the Czech republic. I'll be going this route if my build week is delayed again.

Dolmen
31-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Regret not getting dual climate, big mistake!

Gerryf
31-07-2013, 11:56 AM
i regret that the first owner of my 80, nearly 20 years ago, didn't spec electric rear windows. it would be so nice to open them easily rather than having to lean over into the back.

Historical regrets just fester away......lol

I regret not being able to order a heated windscreen.....couldn't afford it anyway :(

Huftons
31-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Regret optioning 18" wheels. Ride just too firm (and they were expensive).

lozzer
31-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Regret not optioning factory fit tow bar.

Dealer knew less than he thought...

DW58
31-07-2013, 01:55 PM
It amazes me how little some salespersons actually know. My own who is only 21 is great, but others within the same dealership are hopeless. I won't deal with anyone else.

maisbitt
31-07-2013, 06:56 PM
It amazes me how little some salespersons actually know. My own who is only 21 is great, but others within the same dealership are hopeless. I won't deal with anyone else.

Sounds like he has a genuine interest in what he sells and does his homework. Some salespeople think they don't even have to try as the car will sell itself.

DW58
31-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Sounds like he has a genuine interest in what he sells and does his homework. Some salespeople think they don't even have to try as the car will sell itself.

He's the best care sales person I've come across in my 36 years of driving and a lot of new cars. There's only one question he hasn't been able to answer straight off, and if he doesn't know the answer, he knows where to find it.

This is a family owned VAG/Audi franchise with one main Audi garage and four Volkswagen outlets. My family has been dealing with them non-stop since 1981 and service has generally been very good with the odd blip, but no problems in over 20 years.

I think one of the best things is that unlike so many car sales persons, he hasn't been around the various marques and loves Volkswagen.

GTwebb
31-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Regret optioning 18" wheels. Ride just too firm (and they were expensive).

Interesting.. what model have you got? I was tempted with the 18" on my GT which is due shortly but stuck with the 17".. was thinking I should have gone for them..

Dmo238
31-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't have minded taking up the sunroof option to light up the cabin. I guess i only say so because the weather has been pretty good recently but when winter approaches I may change my mind! At £900, I still think its a bit too steep.

GolfFanBoy
03-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Interesting.. what model have you got? I was tempted with the 18" on my GT which is due shortly but stuck with the 17".. was thinking I should have gone for them..

I test drove 2 mk7 GT's and the one with the 18" wheels was definitely firmer than the 17's on rougher sections of road. I stuck with the 17" as it was much closer to the ride comfort in my current mk6 SE.

GTwebb
04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I test drove 2 mk7 GT's and the one with the 18" wheels was definitely firmer than the 17's on rougher sections of road. I stuck with the 17" as it was much closer to the ride comfort in my current mk6 SE.

I really like how the 17"'s look anyway.. didn't think it was worth the extra for the 18" imo of course