PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 GTD question

smorg00
30-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Very interested in getting a GTD when my current lease comes to an end and have been reading up about equipment levels and so on. One thing that I cannot find out though, and that is if the GTD has a push button engine start/stop? Some pictures I have seen show a button on the centre console to the left of the gear stick (see pic) that looks like it could be for this, however I can't find any documentation to back this up. Are there any GTD owners out there that can shed some light on this? A very minor detail I grant you, but it would be cool!

DW58
30-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Push-button stop/start is part of the "Keyless Entry" option on all Golf models. If you take this option, the car will have a "Start/Stop" button on the very front right (in a RHD car) of the central console forward of the mode buttons.

So, you pays your three hundred-odd quid and you get push-button stop/start, simples.

maisbitt
31-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Push-button stop/start is part of the "Keyless Entry" option on all Golf models. If you take this option, the car will have a "Start/Stop" button on the very front right (in a RHD car) of the central console forward of the mode buttons.

So, you pays your three hundred-odd quid and you get push-button stop/start, simples.

^What he said! I had a test drive in a GTD at the weekend and it had keyless - a £350 gimmick for me. Handy for a woman with a handbag full of crap who doesn't want to dig her car keys out, but for the rest of us? I'd have it if it was a free option but I wouldn't pay for it. You still get a fold-out key to enable you to enter the car manually if the battery on the key blipper was low. The steering column of the GTD was scratched to hell where test drivers had tried to insert a key where there was no hole! Lots of equipment on as standard but keyless isn't one of the options. If there's a strong contender for future free inclusion into the standard spec for the higher up Golfs (or even all Golfs) then this is probably it.

smorg00
04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks both for your replies. As you say maisbitt, if it was standard then I'd welcome it with open arms, but it really isn't worth the extra dosh. A few cars have an engine start/stop push button as standard (Lagunas and Meganes I know have it), so thought such a well spec'd motor such as the GTD would have it as standard also. My lease ends in February next year, so currently looking around and the GTD is ticking all my boxes. Be very interested in what your think when you get yours, maisbitt.

maisbitt
04-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks both for your replies. As you say maisbitt, if it was standard then I'd welcome it with open arms, but it really isn't worth the extra dosh. A few cars have an engine start/stop push button as standard (Lagunas and Meganes I know have it), so thought such a well spec'd motor such as the GTD would have it as standard also. My lease ends in February next year, so currently looking around and the GTD is ticking all my boxes. Be very interested in what your think when you get yours, maisbitt.

Aye, I will let you know - should have my mitts on mine in 4 weeks time (Sept 1st maybe, or sometime during 1st week in September) as it should be getting built w/c 12th Aug. I have had a long go in a GTD DSG Demo and my dad also was an early recipient for his GTD DSG - we're both impressed with everything but the fuel economy - my dad is averaging 54mpg on his commute when he used to do 60mpg in this 170TDI MK5 Golf. The DSG does seem to have quite a fuel penalty (10% more than the manual), and based on my extended test drive I would expect my manual GTD "straight out of the box" to match what I can achieve in my Scirocco 170TDI manual. If appreciable gains are seen as the miles rack up (not in my previous experience, but some MK7 TDIers here are reporting that) then we should be doing alright. I am not a fan of DSG - it works very well, so don't be put off if you are an automatic fan.

The MK7 GTD is a real cut above my Scirocco in almost every area - slightly nicer ride, massively more insulated from outside noise (the price of frameless windows in the Scirocco?), so comprehensively filled with genuinely useful kit that I didn't feel the need to add any extras, better interior (the seat bolsters don't feel as rigid though)and noticeably more power and refinement than the 170TDI CR engine.

If your lease ends in February - you might want to be ordering yours in October - I will have had a 23 wait for mine if I do get it 1st week of Sept.

mike77t5
05-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Ordered a GTD today after a test drive I had booked as my golf is coming up to 3 years old in sept and I fancy a change now. I loved the car, it looks great, the interior is a big step up and the standard kit is generous. But I must admit I wasn't that bowled over by the performance. I currently drive a 2.0 tdi 140 gt golf and it has ample power when you need it and is no slouch but considering the new GTD has 184 horses and 280 torque I was expecting it to be noticeably quicker than my 140 but it just wasn't. I have ordered a manual GTD but unfortunately I could only drive a DSG GTD as the dealer was waiting on a manual and said it would take 3 months. I really wasn't that impressed with the DSG and prefer a manual hands down. Hopefully the manual one will feel more responsive as you have more control over the gears. I still ordered one anyway as I loved the car but was just expecting it to feel noticeably quicker than my 140. Other than that its superior to the mk6 in every way.

maisbitt
06-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Ordered a GTD today after a test drive I had booked as my golf is coming up to 3 years old in sept and I fancy a change now. I loved the car, it looks great, the interior is a big step up and the standard kit is generous. But I must admit I wasn't that bowled over by the performance. I currently drive a 2.0 tdi 140 gt golf and it has ample power when you need it and is no slouch but considering the new GTD has 184 horses and 280 torque I was expecting it to be noticeably quicker than my 140 but it just wasn't. I have ordered a manual GTD but unfortunately I could only drive a DSG GTD as the dealer was waiting on a manual and said it would take 3 months. I really wasn't that impressed with the DSG and prefer a manual hands down. Hopefully the manual one will feel more responsive as you have more control over the gears. I still ordered one anyway as I loved the car but was just expecting it to feel noticeably quicker than my 140. Other than that its superior to the mk6 in every way.

It really didn't feel any quicker than a 140TDI? Are you sure that wasn't down to the refinement/smoothness not making it feel as fast as it actually is? I've got a 170TDI Scirocco right now and I previously had a 140 Scirocco (the 170 wasn't out at the time I bought that). Performance differences between those 2 are like night and day.

Did you have a play around with all the settings? Perhaps the DSG box was in ECO mode when you were driving it, which dulls the throttle response considerably and makes it change up way too early. The GTD is noticeably quicker than my 170TDI Scirocco, although the Scirocco feels a little rougher around the edges (so it may "feel" quicker even though it isn't).

My dad has the new GTD in DSG and I got an extended test drive in a DSG GTD a few saturdays ago - forget eco mode, with that on you might as well be driving a hearse. Really don't like DSG at all - manual will feel quicker as you'll be more involved and change up/down when you want to and not when the car wants to. My Tornado Red GTD (manual) is getting built next week and with a bit of luck on the transport front I might have it for Sept 1st.

Coming from a 140 you'll notice the biggest jump in power in 5th and 6th. The GTD will pull as eagerly in 6th as your 140 does in 4th. With 2.5k miles on the clock now my dad's is doing a true 54mpg (brim fill method - computer says 60mpg) on his commute, and as a DSG is about 10% thirstier than a manual, I expect 60mpg on a commute to be achievable with a manual box.

mike77t5
06-08-2013, 09:12 AM
It really didn't feel any quicker than a 140TDI? Are you sure that wasn't down to the refinement/smoothness not making it feel as fast as it actually is? I've got a 170TDI Scirocco right now and I previously had a 140 Scirocco (the 170 wasn't out at the time I bought that). Performance differences between those 2 are like night and day.

Did you have a play around with all the settings? Perhaps the DSG box was in ECO mode when you were driving it, which dulls the throttle response considerably and makes it change up way too early. The GTD is noticeably quicker than my 170TDI Scirocco, although the Scirocco feels a little rougher around the edges (so it may "feel" quicker even though it isn't).

My dad has the new GTD in DSG and I got an extended test drive in a DSG GTD a few saturdays ago - forget eco mode, with that on you might as well be driving a hearse. Really don't like DSG at all - manual will feel quicker as you'll be more involved and change up/down when you want to and not when the car wants to. My Tornado Red GTD (manual) is getting built next week and with a bit of luck on the transport front I might have it for Sept 1st.

Coming from a 140 you'll notice the biggest jump in power in 5th and 6th. The GTD will pull as eagerly in 6th as your 140 does in 4th. With 2.5k miles on the clock now my dad's is doing a true 54mpg (brim fill method - computer says 60mpg) on his commute, and as a DSG is about 10% thirstier than a manual, I expect 60mpg on a commute to be achievable with a manual box.
I'm not that familiar with DSG boxes as its only the second time I've driven one so i dont know what setting it was in. All i will say is though i didn't like it at all! Hopefully the manual will make the car come alive but even the dealer said to me he didn't think it felt that much different up to around 60mph.

GTwebb
06-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm not that familiar with DSG boxes as its only the second time I've driven one so i dont know what setting it was in. All i will say is though i didn't like it at all! Hopefully the manual will make the car come alive but even the dealer said to me he didn't think it felt that much different up to around 60mph.

Don't think a test drive gives you a real feel for a cars performance... That'll come when you're driving it every day.

I'll be interested to see how the 150 GT compares to my old Octavia VRS 170 when I get my hands on it in a few weeks.. from the look of the stats I don't think there'll be any real difference at all given the Golf is a lot lighter and only slightly down on outright power