PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 TSI+DSG, speed bump/ rough road noise

Kevin Zhu
28-07-2013, 09:03 PM
My Golf 7 is now 7000 km+, recently I notice there is a strange noise from the underneath while passing speed bump or rough road surface, it sounds like some metal parts loosen and knocking. Anybody has same experience?:confused:

Gerryf
29-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Try and coast over a speed bump in neutral.....if there's no noise....it's your DSG actuators being indecisive.....my 7 speed is similar.

Handydave
29-07-2013, 07:15 AM
My Golf 7 is now 7000 km+, recently I notice there is a strange noise from the underneath while passing speed bump or rough road surface, it sounds like some metal parts loosen and knocking. Anybody has same experience?:confused:

On our 1.4TSi there is a 'fluttering' noise as I accelerate and the DSG changes gear. Can only hear it if the windows are open and at lowish speed - say 2nd to 3rd. Was wondering if it was some sort of waste gate to dump excess turbo pressure?

Gerryf
29-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Try using 99 Ron petrol.....my 122 BHP car pinks on 95 RON.....VW tell me it shouldn't but it does.

I too only detect the DSG racket with the windows down at low speed but I can hear the pinking with the windows closed.

Kevin Zhu
29-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Try and coast over a speed bump in neutral.....if there's no noise....it's your DSG actuators being indecisive.....my 7 speed is similar.

Tried it this morning with neutral, same noise but smaller, it also make noise while changing from 2nd gear to 3rd gear sometimes...:zx11:

dickt
29-07-2013, 04:25 PM
This sounds just like the issue that has caused recalls across the world. Google the issue, or look at this summary in the autoevolution website.

We have been informed that owners of Euro-spec VW cars (Polo, Golf and Scirocco) are reporting similar problems to the ones that caused a massive recall in China (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vw-officials-apologize-for-faulty-dsg-gearbox-in-china-45400.html) (500,000-strong). The issue has been reported in France, where owners of the aforementioned cars started reporting hearing strange noises coming from the gearbox, which lead them to believe that there may be a design flaw which wears the mechanisms inside it prematurely.

The culprit is VW’s latest twin-clutch setup, the seven-speed DSG7, which reportedly makes the ‘strange noises’ when shifting from 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st, inside the car. However, outside, a different sound is audible, a metallic and repetitive sound which is made when the car goes over speed-bumps. Whatever it is, it sounds serious, especially since owners first began to hear it “a few weeks after delivery” (of the car) - nothing should wear out that quickly.

Also, since the problem in China was never really solved, as they just increased the warranty coverage to 10 years, it will be interesting to see how VW handle this problem in a market very close to home - France. Furthermore, the angry group of French VW owners claim that Seat, Skoda and Audi drivers are also reporting the same problems, so If this report turns out to be accurate, it will spark further outrage and may dent VW’s famed ‘bulletproof’ reliability record.

Gerryf
29-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't consider the sound of the actuators a problem and nothing has changed over the last 11,000 miles.....I'm very happy with the DSG 7 speed,,,,so much so...I'm getting another.

Like mentioned before.....I wouldn't want a 7 speed out of warranty.

Kevin, if you think your car isn't working properly.....take it along to a Dealer because the one thing I've noticed about 7 speeders is that they tend to play up in hot conditions.

Kevin Zhu
30-07-2013, 07:37 AM
I don't consider the sound of the actuators a problem and nothing has changed over the last 11,000 miles.....I'm very happy with the DSG 7 speed,,,,so much so...I'm getting another.

Like mentioned before.....I wouldn't want a 7 speed out of warranty.

Kevin, if you think your car isn't working properly.....take it along to a Dealer because the one thing I've noticed about 7 speeders is that they tend to play up in hot conditions.

Thanks Gerry! Anything improved by using 99 Ron petrol for you?

Gerryf
30-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Can't really say my mpg's have improved with 99RON but my engine no longer pinks on take up from low revs :)

Speed bumps always set off a DSG actuator symphony (undetectable unless the windows are fully down)....as far as I'm concerned it's an acceptable trait.

Effectively, my car has been faultless over 3 years :)