PDA

View Full Version : Absence of Tax Disc on new cars

kingo
26-07-2013, 10:04 PM
If your car was registered this week, then it wouldn't come with a tax disc. Dealers are not issuing discs any more. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency have issued the following guidelines:

Background Historically, motor dealers have provided customers with a tax disc on the sale of a newly registered vehicle. Changes in the operational processes of the DVLA and the closure at the end of 2013 of the local offices, mean that dealers will no longer be able to supply tax discs. This means that new vehicles may not have a tax disc at the point of collection by the customer. What this means for customers From the point at which the dealer applies for the registration of the vehicle it may be used for 14 calendar days without displaying a tax disc.

The disc will already have been purchased at the point of registration and will be posted by the DVLA to either the dealer address, the address of the registered keeper or the address of the fleet operator. The Legislation: The display of a tax disc is governed by section 33 of the vehicle excise and registration act. It is this section which has been changed, by legislation in the Finance Bill 2013, to allow for the non-display of a tax disc for 14 calendar days from the date of registration.

picked up my new car today and found out the above so I have no tax for now....

kodkod.84
26-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Don't know why you need the disc displayed in this day of ANPR and databases anyway.....

zollaf
26-07-2013, 10:16 PM
because even with anpr there is still a law that says you need to display one and failure to display means you get fined. it would take far too long to change the law which would result in a lot of fines being issued that would subsequently have to be refunded, which would end in chaos.

kingo
26-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Don't know why you need the disc displayed in this day of ANPR and databases anyway.....

Thats what they were banging on about in the dealership, they think it wont be long and we wont have to display one.

kingo
26-07-2013, 10:36 PM
He
because even with anpr there is still a law that says you need to display one and failure to display means you get fined. it would take far too long to change the law which would result in a lot of fines being issued that would subsequently have to be refunded, which would end in chaos.

The law has now been changed in respect of new vehicles so i have 14 days for it to get to me, hope the police have been briefed about this but i doubt they all have.

kingo
27-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Tax disc arrived this morning, now thats quick only picked the car up last night lol. Think they did it on the 24th so 3 days aint bad..

kodkod.84
05-12-2013, 11:28 AM
So looks like the concept of a little disc in your windscreen is getting scrapped after all

BBC News - Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631)

M1tchy
05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Mmmmmm, although I agree with moving forwards and all that, I think there will be alot of teething problems with it initially and all sorts of people will be getting pulled over because the "database says so".

We will see though eh?

Passatier3
05-12-2013, 09:33 PM
So looks like the concept of a little disc in your windscreen is getting scrapped after all

BBC News - Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631)

That's good news as regards my motorbikes as it's difficult sometimes to find somewhere to mount the tax disc holder.

And it's a pain having to undo all the little allen head screws which are used to deter thieves.

birdmansa6
06-12-2013, 08:28 PM
At least they used an audi tax disc holder in the picture!

NHN
07-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Yeah its happening this year afaik, glad as I hate the poxy thing in the screen.