PDA

View Full Version : Tempted by A3 Saloon S line?

Hippogriff
26-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I've been an A4 driver (2) for the last 8 years and I'm coming up to the time when I will change car. I've had a good look at the facelift A4 - it's not changed enough for me to go for it. I thought I would have to go up to an A6 to get a newer platform car (the technology is most important to me, not really the size of the car - things like gadgets, latest MMI features, album cover art, 7-digit postcodes and all that good stuff) and I still might go the A6 route - I'm test driving an A6 Black Edition over 2 days next weekend. The A6 is a really nice place to be, but it's obviously larger.

However, the news of the A3 Saloon (completely unheard of by me until a couple of days ago) has really thrown me.

I like the look of it. I like what I've been reading about it. I've looked at the dimensions on paper (brochure) but I won't get chance to sit in one until mid-August. I'm hoping it won't be too small for me.

I've gone through the brochure and the best thing is that you can add all sorts of options and still (no surprise, I guess) keep way below the price of an A6 - this really appeals.

Is anyone else thinking about the A3 Saloon? Does anyone have any early views?

c.grex
26-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I've looked at the A3 sport back and when I spec it up, it's not that much cheaper than a Discounted A6! And even closer to a A4.

This down to A6 discounts being so good (8k off a black) and also A6's come far better spec'd as standard, you need to add everything to A3's.

Hippogriff
26-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Yes, true, my initial perception is only with a Configuration comparison... not with the discounts you'd get applied to a 2011-based car (even though there's changes in the MY14 A6). But the thing is - the options I would add, like Advanced Key = £575 on an A6, £425 on an A3; Interior Lighting Pack = £220 on an A6, £170 on an A3, Heated Front Seats = £300 on an A6, £260 on an A3; Folding / Dimming Mirrors = £515 on an A6, £250 on an A3 (I think). Only the Technology Pack is higher on the A3.

With a lower starting price, you can then start adding things like Comfort Package (to level the playing field), Parking System Plus (£250), Reversing Camera (£275), AAC at a really reasonable £350. If you plump for Active Lane Assist (same kind of heavy price of £450) then I reckon you get Speed Limit Display for £0. You've gotta pay for TPMS... but I had to do that on my A4 as well.

The A3 would even have more 'power' than the A6, 180PS for the A3 vs. the A6's 177PS... but the A6 has the multitronic option (which I like) whereas the A3 has the S tronic option only, today.

I'm definitely going to sit in one.