PDA

View Full Version : Wheel size - studs etc., Winter tyres.

DW58
26-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Sorry for the rather odd subject, I'm really not 100% sure of the correct terminology.

I'm toying with trying to acquire a second set of wheels for my forthcoming Mk.7 to be fitted with Winter tyres.

What are my options, will wheels from pervious Golfs (say Mk.5, Mk.6) fit the Mk.7 hubs? Any suggestions how best to acquire a set of wheels - Breakers, ebaY, elsewhere?

Any good recommendations for winter tyres?

TIA

algarve
26-07-2013, 09:30 AM
The Mk5., Mk6 wheels will fit ( 112 x 5 PCD )

i went for new VW steel wheels in the end as i new they didn't have history and the cost for four years use so far made economic sense.

Also black painted steel so no alloy / salt problems..

i'm running Vredestein Snowtrac 3 tyres during the winters on 16" rims and they have been really grippy in all conditions.( so far 19k miles on them )

Incidentally i would really recommend winter tyres for any conditions where the temperature is 7c or below not just ice / snow as the compound is designed for lower temps and really works. I wish I had discovered winter tyre years ago.

When I need to renew I shall also consider Continental Contiwinter Contact TS850 tyres as they have had good reviews.

DW58
26-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Fantastic - many thanks. I live in rural north east Scotland, where despite only being half a mile of a major trunk route (A96) and only four miles from town we are seldom gritted. Our temperatures can be below 7c for weeks on end and during the winters of 2010/11 and 2011/12 were were under snow for many weeks and below 0˚c for even longer.

I had mud/snow tyres on my previous car (4x4) and miss the winter capability.

If I can use Mk.5 or Mk.6 wheels, this ought to make finding a set easier. Are any other VAG 16" wheels (i.e. Audi/SEAT/Skoda) compatible.

What other winter tyres can members recommend?

amullo
22-08-2013, 08:20 AM
There are basically three choices for "winter" tires. The big thing to remember is to choose a tire that has an (M+S) marking, meaning that the tire is fit for "Mud + Snow" AND that their needs to be an icebergh with a snowflake to signify that the tire can handle temps before freezing.
For example
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/files/8/0/2/6/winters.jpg

Basic rule of thumb is to choose as narrow a tire as you can get and with as high a profile as possible, the only limiting factors here should be the size of the brakediscs. On a Golf 7 (unless GTI/GTD) I believe 16" is as small as is possible. 195/60-16 or 205/55-16 is your best bet (my old ford had 205/50-16 and the wintertires where 175/65-15 way back in the day), but the narrower the better. Wide tires will more easily aquaplane and "surf" on the slush/snow, while narrow tires cut down to the solid stuff. Also note the threadpattern on the right. These "sipes" are very efficient in cutting through the soft snow and gripping the surface better.
See the width diffrence on my summertires for the BMW, compared to the same cars wintertires.
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/files/8/0/2/6/225vs205.jpg

Then there are tire options..
1. Studded M+S Winter tires - These tires are developed to work best in "full winter" conditions. Think Iceland, North Scotland, Sweden/Norway/Finland, The alps and Canada. They have an edge on all other winter tires when it comes to ice. Good options here are to stick with the brands that have a tradition of making tires for these conditions. Nokian Hakkapellita 7, Michelin X-ice NORTH and Continental Conti Ice Contact for example. Temprange is ~ +5 - -35C

2. Studless - Nordic conditions winter tires - These M+S wintertires are developed for drivers who want true winter performance in snow and ice conditions, but who dont travel on lonely iceroads in the true north or for those who may choose to not go to work if the weather is that bad. These tires provide almost the same security and performance as studded tires, except for on ice. They also work acceptably well on wet and snowslush roads. The same rule applies to choosing manufacturers. Nokina Hakkapelitta R tires is what I have ordered, but Michelin X-ice xi3, Continental Conti Viking Contact, Goodyear Ultragrip Ice+ and so on work well. Temp range is +8 - -30C

3. Studless continental winter tires - These M+S rated tires are for drivers who need coldweather performance, but normally only travel on winterroads for maybe a month or so. The tires do exceptionally well on wet roads answell as slush, but at expense of being really good on true snow/ice. Think midlands, South England, North of France aswell as most of Europe. The tires can handle summer roads OK, but suffer in comparison to summer/OEM tires because the softer rubber and deeper groves increase roadnoise and decrease performance. But for drivers needing a tire that works from +11 C down to -10C its perfect.

If your average wintertemps are only at around freezing with temps rising dureing the day and then re-freezing at night, then choosing the right tire becomes hard.. You want the studs for nightdriving, but daytime the 3:rd option seems good enough.. Then choose option 2.

2c from a true winterdriver in Sweden
(We have Nokian Hakkapelitta R 205/55-16´s on the GOLF and Studded Michelin X-ice North 205/55-16´s on the RWD BMW 320d)

DW58
22-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Excellent - many thanks.

Norbreck21a
22-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Amullo, didn't think you Scandinavians needed any assistance from winter tyres. Thought all of you lot popped out of the womb, pre programmed for driving in any conditions, sideways and winning any rally you entered :D:D

DW58
22-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm amazed at how few people use winter tyres in the UK, and here especially in Scotland.

mcmaddy
22-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I've got a gtd coming in September maybe, hopefully who knows. was looking at 17” alloys for winter tyres but maybe the 16” steels would be better and cheaper??

algarve
22-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Having discovered winter tyres I've been using 16" black steels with winter tyres for a while now.

I shall use them on my current MK 7 for the grip improvement and its nice to not worry too much about salt/grit & pothole damage on your alloys during the winter.

The ride is a little better than the 17" alloys and I like the look, a bit stealth , with a black car.

gamichea
23-08-2013, 09:45 PM
The Mk5., Mk6 wheels will fit ( 112 x 5 PCD )

Incidentally i would really recommend winter tyres for any conditions where the temperature is 7c or below not just ice / snow as the compound is designed for lower temps and really works. I wish I had discovered winter tyre years ago.

You need to check the offset (ETF) is also correct for the Mk7.

Totally endorse algarve's recommendation for winter tyre usage.

Dmo238
24-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Having discovered winter tyres I've been using 16" black steels with winter tyres for a while now.

I shall use them on my current MK 7 for the grip improvement and its nice to not worry too much about salt/grit & pothole damage on your alloys during the winter.

The ride is a little better than the 17" alloys and I like the look, a bit stealth , with a black car.

Algarve, would it be possible to share with us a photo of what the black steels look like?

amullo
26-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Amullo, didn't think you Scandinavians needed any assistance from winter tyres. Thought all of you lot popped out of the womb, pre programmed for driving in any conditions, sideways and winning any rally you entered :D:D

Yeah well, some off us do:D.
I learned to drive in a 1974 VW bug with linear, not radiell, wintertires. When you learn in one of those, everything else is easy even the old e21 BMW which is deadly tailhappy.

Wintertires arent that hard, but some people seem to think all wintertires are created equal. Thats like thinking all cars go around corners equally well, regardless of it being a Porsche or a old Vauxhaul.
Just keep it simple.
The narrowest tire and highest sidewall will give you better handling in snow/ice/winter. If you see someone riding 18" alloys with M+S wintertires, you can safely assume that the owner doesnt know diddly about cars.

Our golf runs on alloys, but thats just because the salesman threw them in on the deal. Id actually rather have steel rims.. But who can say no to alloys.:aargh4:

mcmaddy
26-08-2013, 08:29 AM
it's quite interesting hearing from people who use winters in other counties to hear them say better with the steels and thinner tyres. loads of people think that just because you have 18” or 17” winter tires then you'll be fine. I know we don't get as much snow as Scandinavia but it's definitely got me looking for 16”steel wheels for my new gtd.

amullo
26-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Its not only in snow and ice conditions where thinner is better.
Using a narrower tire also decreases the likelyhood of aquaplanning on water or snow/water slush
http://decanter.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11150/00000184f/5b10/cannock-chase-england-winter.jpg

algarve
26-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Algarve, would it be possible to share with us a photo of what the black steels look like?

A tiny shot that gives some idea - please click image

amullo
27-08-2013, 07:14 PM
You should get some dustcovers for the center hole. Otherwise you may get salt and gravel aswell as water into your wheelbearings.

Skickat från min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk 4

algarve
27-08-2013, 07:39 PM
You should get some dustcovers for the center hole. Otherwise you may get salt and gravel aswell as water into your wheelbearings.

Skickat från min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk 4

Yes I did that was an old photo when I initially put them on my previous MK6...

The cover part numbers I use are 3B7 601 171 if you decide to go Black Steels..