PDA

View Full Version : T4 2.4 aab, black smoke??

stoneboom
02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
:(Hi I've got a 1993 t4 showing 170k on the clock with the 2.4 aab engine. It failed the mot on emissions and a diesel leak, I've now fitted a second hand injector pump which has taken care of the fuel leak. I'm just a bit concerned about a bit of black smoke coming from the exhaust under hard acceleration.

Anyone got any idea on how to reduce/ stop this??

the van does seam to drive well and no loss of power

Cheers pete

Freshup
02-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Is it smoking more/less since changing pump? After checking air cleaner probably due for injector service.

stoneboom
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
The smoke is about the same before and after fitting the new pump, and the air filter is new so i guess i'll have to check the injectors. Cheers for the help pete:o

Curnow
30-11-2009, 06:58 AM
I have a 2000 T4 2.5lt transporter and have just solved my smoke problem. It smoked under hard exceleration and I stuggled to find a VW agent that new what they were talking about. The initial problem that was not found by the so called experts (Appologies to the good experts) was no top end power caused by a split pipe going to the waste gate actuator and the waste gate switch unplugged. I fixed these and it went like a train litrally (Plenty of power and black smoke when excelerating hard.) I asked questions all over the place and was advised to change injectors, injection pump and do dyno tests to see if the problem could be identified. I wasn't convinced enough to do this as at times it would not smoke. The thing that seems to have solved the smoke problem was the EGR valve. I blocked the pipe from the EGR switch/valve so it has no effect and now there is minimal smoke under severe exceleration:D
It now happily revs out to 4000rpm which it has never done since I have had it.

I'm not sure if this is your problem but may be worth a look.

Cheers
Dennis

16valves
07-12-2009, 05:06 AM
When you changed the injection pump did the pump get timed as this is very important. I think from when I did my own one the pump is set at 1mm lift at TDC. You will need a dial indicator that screws into the rear of the pump to check the diesel pump timing.