PDA

View Full Version : New member

eob
02-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Hello,
Next week I will be receiving a Passat company car.
It is a 2.0tdi SE with convenience pack in Metallic Black.

I'm looking forward to getting the car and I'm quite interested to see if I notice a difference from the BMW 530d which I had previously. I used to average 40 MPG on my daily commute with the BM which was the 3.0ltr Sport Auto so hopefully the 2.0ltr Passat will improve on this.

Would really like your advice on two mods which I will be making shortly after receiving it.

Ipod and Bluetooth.

Rooting around ebay there seems to be two types available:

This one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-IPOD-Adapter-link-VW-Golf-Passat-RCD-300-UK_W0QQitemZ150156793360QQihZ005QQcategoryZ75307QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Factory-iPOD-Interface-Adaptor-Kit-VW-Golf-Passat-Polo_W0QQitemZ330159859258QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3293Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone have any experience of these two kits with respect to features and ease of fitting?

I would also like to have fully integrated bluetooth handsfree. From what I have been reading, the parrot kit seems to be the best available.

As I said, I'm getting the car sometime next week and will post details/pics then.

Look forward to being on the forum.
Ed

Slimbarry
02-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi & Welcome!

I am nearly a month old in passat age!

I have bought the first Ipod adapter you linked for my Passat but have yet to install it. The second was the same brand I had in my last car (and it worked fine,) although I don't think your new Passat is listed on that ebay item as a vehicle it fits...

I'll let you know how my install goes if I get round to it this week!

:beerchug: Cheers!

Slimbarry
12-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I installed the ipod adapter this last weekend - very easy and works well.

Pop the trim around the radio off,
Unscrew the four screws that hold the radio in
Pull the radio out
plug in the ipod adapter + fit the ground lead under a screw on the radio
Route the lead to the glovebox - this required a wire coat hanger with a bit of string to pull the lead through.
re fit everything Job done!Even though you can't get the text of the tracks on the radio display, I normally just leave the ipod on shuffle.

eob
12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Excellent,
which iPod connector didyou fit and what functionality have you got through the stero?
Ed.

Slimbarry
12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I fitted this adapter off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-IPO...QQcmdZViewItem

So far I have found that it operates like a CD changer and the CD's correspond to any playlists that you have set up on your ipod. The alternative is to select what you want to hear on the ipod, i.e. album/artist and then plug it in. As I said I tend to put the ipod on shuffle.

When in any of the above modes, you can skip forward and backwards between tracks, or fast forwards or backwards through a track just like a CD. It also works with the steering wheel controls if you have them.

Hope this helps,

Regards
Slimbarry