PDA

View Full Version : Question Replacing G65 Air Con Switch

andyman99
24-07-2013, 02:09 PM
The a/c has failed in my 57 Golf Plus. I want to check/replace G65 sensor and had a brief look yesterday. Just wondering how much needs to come off to get the sensor out, as it appears to be in a bit of an awkward position? Is it possible to access via the headlamp or do you need to take off the front bumper?

Thanks

Andy

Teflon
24-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Having mine replaced on Friday. It's the second one, my wife's was last year. I'm assuming yours is a leak - the quality is absolutely pants. In the US it’s a free replacement, but as usual here in good old Blighty you have to suck it up and cough up some beer vouchers. At least the Golf is beside the radiator, onmy wife's Eos it involves the front bumper off. But I digress......

It does look a tricky little beggar to do, so I’m having it done at the same time as another job, so there will be a bit more space available. Do a forum search and there is a guide on how to attack it (from below by removing part of the wheel arch plastic liner IIRC). It sits on a Schrader valve so there’s no issues with aircon fluid spraying out but I’d wear glasses and gloves to be on the safe side. It needs a short 17mm spanner.

The retail price at VW is just shy of £50 + VAT and you’ll need an o-ring at 57p +VAT. But the GSF part is the same thing,about £34 and available on 2 day order.

If you decide to bottle out and have it done at a dealer, make sure you phone round. My local bunch (as usual) over egged it and wanted an hour’s labour at inflated prices. The dealer next door wanted half an hour and the rates were better. At a dealer, they’ll also charge you £79 for an aircon service.

I’m just getting it swapped at an indy then re-gassed for £30 elsewhere.

Edit: here's the instructions. Sorry, it was an A4 but the procedure might be similar. How To Change the G65 Aircon Thrust/Pressure Sensor (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?134212-Change-the-G65-Aircon-Thrust-Pressure-Sensor).

andyman99
25-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Thans Teflon, I had seen that article which set me thinking down this path. I'm not so sure that I could get access via the wheel arch on the Golf Plus, location seems to be a bit different to a standard Golf, but I'm not completely sure. Will take off a few bits and see how it develops :(

andyman99
25-07-2013, 02:05 PM
OK I lied, access via wheel arch is the way to go! Very easy to get access in fact. However I am now wondering if it is this sensor or not as there is no pressure at all in the system (no hiss when sensor removed or shrader depressed). I just reread your first post and you mention "leak" do these sensors leak, I presumed their failure mode would be electrical? Ialso posted another more general question in the Golf section as this seems to have more foot fall.