PDA

View Full Version : Mk.7 Golf - DSG or Manual

DW58
23-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Since joining the forum and ordering my own Mk.7 Golf with DSG and MFSW (paddles), I've been amazed to see how many of you also have DSG.

Please vote as follows:

dcdick
23-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Since joining the forum and ordering my own Mk.7 Golf with DSG and MFSW (paddles), I've been amazed to see how many of you also have DSG.

Please vote as follows:

My experience in this is that DSG works better with the petrol cars than diesels....................not scientific by any means just my personal experience of a long test drive in a petrol & 2,000 miles in a Mk7 diesel

D

GTwebb
23-07-2013, 03:14 PM
My experience in this is that DSG works better with the petrol cars than diesels....................not scientific by any means just my personal experience of a long test drive in a petrol & 2,000 miles in a Mk7 diesel

D

I'd agree with you there, I'd certainly think a DSG would work better with a petrol's longer rev range.

DW58
23-07-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't have experience of DSG with a diesel VAG engine other than a 20 miles test drive, but have driven petrol ones extensively - more than enough to convince me to buy one influenced heavily by my partial disability making clutching/de-clutching increasingly difficult.

HHGTTG
23-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I don't have experience of DSG with a diesel VAG engine other than a 20 miles test drive, but have driven petrol ones extensively - more than enough to convince me to buy one influenced heavily by my partial disability making clutching/de-clutching increasingly difficult.

DSG is OK as long as you have deep enough pockets to maintain the system when the warranty runs out. I believe the dry plate ones are more prone to troubes and that is not taking account the Mechatronics units, should trouble be experienced there.

Gerryf
23-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Hi Rob, you're going to love the DSG .....they haven't the ability to learn your driving style but once you learn it's ways you'll never return to a manual.
I'd love paddles but I just couldn't afford 'em.

DW58
23-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks Gerry - whenever I've had my Mum's A1 (or previously Mk.5 Golf) out, I've been very reluctant to hand it back. The Mk.5 was good enough, but the A1 with DSG/paddles is the icing on the cake. I had wanted DSG when I bought my current Mk.6 on October 2010, but according to my dealer there wasn't one to be had within six months. I somehow think he didn't try too hard to find one, but I needed a car quickly so opted for the Mk.6 TSi Match with 6-speed.

Never mind, October 27th = DSG day with paddles.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/Emoticons/woohoo.gifhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/Emoticons/woohoo.gifhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/Emoticons/woohoo.gif

CelticGolf
25-07-2013, 08:14 AM
We are now on our second VAG car diesel engines with DSG. No paddles on the latest Mk7 1.6tdi as we didn't use them on our Audi A3. Once you have driven a car with a DSG box you will never go back to a manual.
Disagree with the comments about only good with (or better) a petrol. We have had no problems the cars have only done 10000 miles a year commuting. No dpf problems (yet) but we do use BP Ultimate. Average mpg 53.5.
There is a 5 year warranty option (which we have) to protect you should there be problems. Good for us as we will keep the car for the 5 years.

Allmac
25-07-2013, 10:26 AM
We are now on our second VAG car diesel engines with DSG. No paddles on the latest Mk7 1.6tdi as we didn't use them on our Audi A3. Once you have driven a car with a DSG box you will never go back to a manual.
Disagree with the comments about only good with (or better) a petrol. We have had no problems the cars have only done 10000 miles a year commuting. No dpf problems (yet) but we do use BP Ultimate. Average mpg 53.5.
There is a 5 year warranty option (which we have) to protect you should there be problems. Good for us as we will keep the car for the 5 years. I will be getting the paddles on my Golf GT in Sept but I don't think that I will ever use them. I've had paddles before but was always happy to let the autobox do the work! I found on cars with the floor 'Tiptronic' feature that it was useful in certain circumstances to be change manually driving down step hills for example but I rarely used it and never used it in preference to the auto mode. I would rather have saved the money on the paddles given the choice (a bit like the hill descent control on my XC60 which I've never used and never will!). Perhaps if I was 20 again (I wish!) and had the GTI I would enjoy spirited driving with the paddles but the standard Golf isn't a sport car and I intend to drive it more sedately. When I get my Golf I'll try them out but suspect they will eventually just gather dust!

dickt
25-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm on my 3rd VW tdi with dsg and paddles. I agree with Allmac, the paddles can be a bit of a gimmick for those of us who now drive relatively sedately. I did my very quick driving when younger - in a couple of Lotus Elans.
Once I had got over the novelty in the first car I have seldom used them.
I can only think of one downhill stretch of road, (with 40mph and then 30mph limits) where they are useful.
For more speedy driving, I just use my right foot.

Gerryf
25-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm a teenager in my mid fifties ;) so understandably I yearn for paddles even though I never bother selecting manual on my present mk6 1.4 122 DSG.....I'd definitely have cobwebs on 'em........I honestly find the car lively enough without employing manual....got caught out by the box a few times when I first got the car but you soon learn how to avoid being in the wrong gear when you need power on tap.

All in all I love DSG but I wouldn't want one out of warranty.

DW58
26-07-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm out of the same mould Gerry albeit a tad disabled, hence the keen-ness for DSG. Despite my physical need for it, I also find them great fun to drive.

Gerryf
26-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Snap Rob....I became disabled through childhood Polio.....autos are now a must for me....gotta say the DSG system is the best auto I've driven to date.

Back in the early 90's I used to drive a regular auto Golf......lovely refined car but it was too thirsty for London work.

DW58
26-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Fibromyalgia and Arthritis with me Gerry. My right leg isn't so bad but my left is buggered, so not having to work the clutch makes life a lot easier.

DSG is a god-send for those of us with dodgy pins, I just wish I'd been able to get my Mk.6 so equipped but my dealer was rather poor in trying to acquire one for me.

I've ordered paddles with mine, but not sure if they'll get much use but it'll be nice to try them and then decide later.

dcdick
26-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Fibromyalgia and Arthritis with me Gerry. My right leg isn't so bad but my left is buggered, so not having to work the clutch makes life a lot easier.

DSG is a god-send for those of us with dodgy pins, I just wish I'd been able to get my Mk.6 so equipped but my dealer was rather poor in trying to acquire one for me.

I've ordered paddles with mine, but not sure if they'll get much use but it'll be nice to try them and then decide later.

Hmmm left leg for me as well..................right side is fixed now with hip replacement but stuck for the duration now with a "dodgy" left leg.

Completely agree DSG is the best auto box I've ever used

Previous cars always were manual but it was getting harder & harder to use clutch properly, so went for the Golf DSG & opted for the diesel purely on running costs (as well as the fact previous car was a diesel). Not one of my better decisions as it turned out ;)

D

tigerera004
22-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Previous car was a Audi A3 20Tdi S-line which came with DSG as standard in 2005.
Its an automatic ... I dont know anyone that can be bothered with the paddles!

My current car is a manual because
1. DSG get away time when pulling out onto a roundabout is scary!
2. It was displaying some odd behaivior from 70 - 80K miles
3. For me, it detracted from the driving pleasure

jk88
22-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Previous car was a Audi A3 20Tdi S-line which came with DSG as standard in 2005.
Its an automatic ... I dont know anyone that can be bothered with the paddles!

My current car is a manual because
1. DSG get away time when pulling out onto a roundabout is scary!
2. It was displaying some odd behaivior from 70 - 80K miles
3. For me, it detracted from the driving pleasure
I think things have moved on quite a bit since 2005. Both our cars have DSG boxes and the response is instant, no issues pulling out onto a roundabout. And there are times when the paddles come in handy ...

aldfort
22-12-2013, 10:57 AM
For us there is no question (probably due to our age). Manual every time if you actually want to drive the car yourself. So Mrs A's GTi is manual.

rapport25
22-12-2013, 01:22 PM
I have owned a 2.0tdi dsg in my passat for nearly 5yrs.

My mk 7 Golf Gtd is due March. This time I have gone for a manual.

The only reason is its cheaper to buy, tax, and improved mpg.

I think the dsg box is excellent!!!!!. I will post my findings after livinig with my Golf for 3 mths.

Barb351
22-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I have DSG with paddles on my petrol GT as my wife has severe nerve damage to left ankle. I find it so easy to drive especially today in an a massive jam of slow moving vehicles. I do not see the need to use the paddles though. My son is so impressed with modern autos he is ordering an auto 4 series BMW.

psquared
23-12-2013, 02:45 PM
I mostly use auto but on some long downhills I feel it holds a lower gear at higher revs than is necessary so I use manual. Have had paddles on a couple of (Honda) autos but didn't make much use of them. Would probably not have specced paddles if not standard on the GT but I shall experiment with them.

I still think the DSG box is brilliant. Yes it is a costly option and could be expensive if it goes wrong outside of warranty but in traffic it makes life so much easier. And on open roads you can always drive in manual. Not at all convinced a manual only offers any advantages and for those who really want to get the fastest acceleration times, look at YouTube where on (I think) 2 otherwise identical GTIs, the DSG equipped car was faster than the manual.

AClark
10-01-2014, 08:35 PM
A3 2011 DSG with paddles and love it.. im retract to use manual gearbox.. maybe is for lazy or safety reason, but since use AUTO never go back to manuals, the DSG is very good gearbox and very fast response in my A3 TFSI ...