PDA

View Full Version : Stop Start - Manual Gears

GTwebb
23-07-2013, 09:11 AM
I've been reading and hearing some mixed views on the stop start function of the MK7.

How long is the delay from you taking the foot off the brake and the car starting up? Most people ive heard moaning have the DSG and they're saying its frustrating around town with the slow start up (3 secs ?). is it the same with the manual gearing?

Guest 2
23-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Startup is instant when you release the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C5Clive
23-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I think its a bit different with a manual as it only activates if you put the car in neutral and take your foot off the clutch. I think I also read that with a DSG they can stop it activating by the amount of pressure they put on the brake.

algarve
23-07-2013, 12:53 PM
With DSG its the length of time you have your foot on the brake.

Hold it for two seconds or more and stop/ start cuts engine

pango1in
23-07-2013, 01:00 PM
On my car, the auto-start/stop activates when you put the car into neutral and take your foot off of the clutch.

The engine starts again when you depress the clutch to put it back into 1st before pulling away. It's pretty quick starting, but you have to try and anticipate when you want the car ready to go. A couple of times at traffic lights, I have been caught out, as I seem to be too quick for the car when I depress the clutch, put the car into gear and then lift off again - somethines the car hasn't reached idle and isn't ready for me to pull away. It's only by a fraction of a second.

GTwebb
23-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Right thanks for the info.. I must admit I was surprised to hear some groans as my mate has a Mini Cooper and the stop start and that seemed more that quick enough to fire back up I just wondered if the Golf was any different but sounds fine to me.. maybe it's people not using it properly?

I'll look forward to putting it to the test when mine arrives in 6 wk :)

andyCYM
23-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Mine's a manual petrol 1.4 ACT. Re-start is instant, I don't believe it's possible to get in gear quickly enough to catch it out. It also re-starts automatically if you stall.

GTwebb
23-07-2013, 01:54 PM
"It also re-starts automatically if you stall"

Nice little feature that..

DW58
23-07-2013, 02:06 PM
"It also re-starts automatically if you stall"

Nice little feature that..

Hell yes, the need to fiddle with the clutch on my current Mk.6 makes a re-start after the occasional stall a real pain.

HHGTTG
23-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Heck, I was following a new Audi A1 in a traffic jam this morning and all I could hear, with the window open, was the engine of the A1 keep on starting up every few minutes. i think, because of the constant rear lights illumination that it must have had a DSG transmission. But what a pain and I wonder just how much eventual wear and tear will there be on the starter motor assembly. We all know of course that S/S cars are fitted with absorption mat batteries, or so I was led to believe.
I really wonder whether this S/S is such a good idea and if and when I get MK7, I may disable this feature, if I can remember/ especially in conditions I experienced this morning.

NickPicks
23-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I had an A4 with stop start as a loan from an Audi dealer. It only stops if you take it out of gear and lift the clutch. I tried, but I couldn't get the clutch down, into gear and back up before the engine had started itself. The auto restart on stall was good too.

DW58
23-07-2013, 03:23 PM
I have noticed when driving my Mum's A1 Sportback 1.4TFSi SportTronic that if you break with a relatively light pressure when stopping at junctions etc., you can prevent the stop/start actually cutting out the engine.

pango1in
23-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Mine's a manual petrol 1.4 ACT. Re-start is instant, I don't believe it's possible to get in gear quickly enough to catch it out. It also re-starts automatically if you stall.

I managed to do it this morning. I didn't realise the lights were about to change, and when they did I slammed it into gear but pulled my foot off of the clutch too early and stalled. Took a couple of seconds to restart. I was very embarrased...:Blush2:

I must be a ninja or something...

cj1957
23-07-2013, 06:44 PM
instantaneous stop and restart, not like the Mk6 I was loaned that had to be 'warm' before stop start would work. Never had a problem stalling.

Li_Greeny
27-07-2013, 12:15 AM
I find some anticipation of the lights helps, but there is little delay between your foot off the clutch and the engine kicking in. Don't know how well it will work as the car ages though... I always have wondered.

That said, it cant be as bad as the auto hold, I hate it when people sit on their breaks when they are at the lights made worse with the "AUTO HOLD" function being as slow as my grandma to take the breaks off, that's much worse than Stop Start to the point I never use it.

HHGTTG
27-07-2013, 08:42 AM
I find some anticipation of the lights helps, but there is little delay between your foot off the clutch and the engine kicking in. Don't know how well it will work as the car ages though... I always have wondered.

That said, it cant be as bad as the auto hold, I hate it when people sit on their breaks when they are at the lights made worse with the "AUTO HOLD" function being as slow as my grandma to take the breaks off, that's much worse than Stop Start to the point I never use it.

True AutoHold as fitted to the new Golf doesn't acutate the rear lights, does it? I'm sure that I read this somewhere. Normal braking to a stop would, obviously and braking to come to a standstill would but then I thought that if AutoHold was actuated, then the brake lights wouldn't be on whilst this function was operating.

algarve
27-07-2013, 10:48 AM
If you have Autohold switched on during driving when you stop and it senses an incline it will activate & operate the brake lights like most manufacturers systems do.

Incidentally the Autohold release on non manual cars is instant and smooth.

Li_Greeny
27-07-2013, 12:43 PM
If you have Autohold switched on during driving when you stop and it senses an incline it will activate & operate the brake lights like most manufacturers systems do.

Incidentally the Autohold release on non manual cars is instant and smooth.

Maybe just me, but I never feel like it's fast enough number of times I heard the breaks grind when going from forward motion - stop - reverse. Happens almost everytime I do it. Nice feature for around town though.