PDA

View Full Version : Question Start-Stop Retrofit

theskyfox
22-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Morning All,

Was driving to work along the M25 this morning, and came to a stop a few times. It got me thinking, is it possible to get start-stop retrofitted to my car? I've got a 2011 A4 3.0TDi with manual gearbox, which was very literally the model just before start stop came in. If I had waited an extra 6 months I would have got it as standard. Over to you..

-Andrew

Bodgerx
24-07-2013, 12:06 AM
These start stop systems typically consist of a number of components:

High efficiency, long life starter motor.
Regenaration system fitted to the brakes.
Uprated battery or capacitor that stores energy so that the A/C and ancillary stuff can run while stopped.

Not to mention all the sensors and ECU stuff.

Assuming you could get all the bits, it would probably be a nightmare to do, and stupid expensive.

Guest 2
24-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Agree on the above, probably a right pain to retrofit as you'll need all the sensors and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zollaf
24-07-2013, 07:43 AM
i was thinking about retro fitting it to my old 80 but there is far too much to it so instead i just turn the engine off if stopping for more than say 30 seconds. then, when its time to move, a quick flick of the key and off we go. wish i had thought of it sooner, could've marketed it and made a mint.

theskyfox
24-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought it might be rather complex lol, I'll just switch the engine off when its bad then. Its only occasionally I'd really benefit from it anyway, since most of the time traffic seems to move at 5-10mph in the rush hour.

-Andrew

size12
24-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Can't be that difficult my mum had it fitted to an Audi 80 circa 1981 :lol:

I hate start stop it reminds me of unreliable cars that used to conk out just as you stop at the lights.