PDA

View Full Version : Park Assist (7X5) or Audi Parking System Advanced with Reversing Camera (KA2)?

Hippogriff
20-07-2013, 05:21 PM
If I had around £400 that I was allowing myself to spend on a, shall we say, more frivolous A6 option, would you advocate Park Assist or the rear camera?

I think the rear camera would be used on nearly every journey (but I've always found the acoustic beeps and red lines at the front and back to be perfectly fine on my A4) whereas - I know - the Park Assist would be used much less.

However, Park Assist is obviously much cooler and much more a taste of the future (if I'm not bigging-it-up too much). To be honest, I can't even blame my desire for it on my girlfriend, as she prefers to parallel park whereas I try to avoid it. I think the most useful bit about this feature would be the parking spot size matching that it does as you drive by. The coolness bit comes when it parks itself.

I would want to know, maybe from people who have Park Assist, that it works well and executes flawlessly, and quickly - there would be nothing worse than it failing to parallel park the car successfully for you, or it taking ages to complete the procedure - confidence would drop immediately.

Having allocated money to other options - expensive mirrors, advanced key, technology package, heated front seats and lighting package - I don't think I can stretch to a more expensive, cool, option - who'd not want adaptive cruise control? I could save the money, I guess... ;)

Olio
20-07-2013, 08:47 PM
I specced both. The camera because it's useful, the assist because it's geeky, could be useful (same, finds the space), and I find it cool (and would be annoyed to pay so much for a car and not have it while Kias and Hyundai have it)

Hippogriff
20-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Ah-ha, yes... and if I was rich then I'd be doing the same. Sadly, I am not (poor as a church mouse) so I am stuck here, sitting at an "or" as opposed to an "and".

P.S. - Or... what Hyundai should I be looking at?

Olio
20-07-2013, 08:55 PM
In my mind, the camera was first. Usefulness always trumps geekiness.

NHN
21-07-2013, 12:26 AM
7X5 is for me a waste of time & money, by the time its parked you'd be in the store choosing some new strides lol.

I would definitely have the OPS with camera :)

fernar
21-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I think park assist is really cool.... but as pointed out, it is slow and I think the coolness will always be there to show off to people how have not seen it before, but when on your own, I can see you just parking the by yourself..... much quicker....

I ordered the Top View options - this gives a birds-eye view of the car using multiple cameras - so you can see either behind the car or front of the car or front left/right or rear left/right or a view looking from the top of the car (very cleaver use of all the cameras).... I think it's just as cool as the self park and a bit more useful....

The default view (depending if you are moving the car forward or backwards) is front/rear on the left hand side of the MMI screen + a top view on the right hand side of the MMI screen - this really helps park the car near the kerb, without getting slow close as to risk kerbing you alloy wheels

Eddo1968
21-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I've got park assist but used it only once in just under a year, although if I park I generally use car parks. As others have said it's slow. I actually tried to use it the other day but had forgotten how to so just ended up parking it without, as I learnt to do many years ago :-). The birds eye camera view as mentioned by fernar would be much more useful, however i dont have that unfortunately.

Hippogriff
22-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I would like the bird's eye view thing... sadly I have only fluff in my pockets. However, even Audi themselves - today - described Park Assist as "slow". This confuses me, as I thought that you, as driver, controlled the pedals, therefore - if you trusted the system (which you would, right?) then you could speed it into its slot nice and fast-like? Can someone help me understand what the slow part about it is? Does it only let you accelerate to 1mph while doing its thing or something like that?

Maybe my inner-geek would not be satisfied with something I ended up using once a year. If only the HUD was cheap, instead of just cheap-looking (afterthought-wise).

MFGF
23-07-2013, 03:12 PM
For a bit of frivolity, how about 9AQ - 4-zone climate? It is a huge step up from the standard 2-zone, which I don't think is as good as the system in your A4!

MF.

Hippogriff
23-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Hmm, if I'm going completely off-piste, GZ2 (Power door closure) would at least be used every single time I drove. I would like QQ2 (Ambient lighting) but not if I lose half my cool logos.

Maybe PCB (Audi active lane assist) is the thing I should really be looking at? Does the car start to, basically, drive itself on motorways, or does it just beep / buzz at you?

Gah, the Lexus IS 300h F Sport had about 4 options, that's in total.

JohnEx
23-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I have ambient lighting and it isn't really worth what they want for it. Pretty but not worth the extra.

Passatier3
23-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm beginning to be glad that I had to have my car as is!

I'm only jealous really. :Blush:

florin_bv
17-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Audi Parking System is a big plus, the reversing camera is must have. Just found a video on how to retrofit the Audi Parking System Plus for A6 C6 Audi A6 parking system plus retrofit - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W0j2J8RfhI) , but does anyone know the part numbers for A6 C7?