PDA

View Full Version : Decent wheels & Kwikfit

audinut
02-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Just a (reminder) note of caution when replacing tyres...
I needed to replace all 4 235/45/17's on my audi rims. Got a good price from kwikfit for Dunlop Sport Maxx and had them changed. During that day suffered vibrations through the whole car so went back. Asked for an alignment check and was told that they can't align Audis (or Mercs or several others) as their equipment was too primitive. Was recommended by kwikfit to another place (Apex Tyres) and drove over there.
They checked the alignment and said it was near perfect. They then proceeded to re-check the wheel balancing and found all 4 wheels were out - some by 50g.
I was told that kwikfit use a "single weight" balance rig which is insufficient for bigger end rims/tyres. Drove away from Apex and left the vibration behind. :drive:

Niall76
02-09-2007, 09:29 AM
'decent' and 'kwikfit' are two words which are so wrong together it's not true.......

They're a bunch of ****.

Seriously, one of those crappy robotic vacum cleaners could do a better job.

gazza57
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
audinut,
If I were you I would go back to bloody kwikfit and tell them that the money you paid them for balancing needs to be returned as they have not produced work to the required standard.
More importantly if the machine they have for balancing cannot get the correct weight in the correct place on the wheel without an error of 50 grams then the machine is not fit for use on any wheels let alone wheels of this type.
A phone call to trading standards is also a good idea as how many other unsuspecting people have paid good money for 'cant be *****' service like that.
regards
gazza57

audinut
04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I get your point gazza and don't disagree.
The thought of driving back to Peterborough to demand 16 quid doesn't appeal though.
While I was there a bunch of fleet cars came in for new boots - BMWs mostly and had reserved run-flat tyres (stacks of dosh). These presumably would have the same problem so I have no clue why it's being done by fleets.