PDA

View Full Version : Small changes on the s-line model

fernar
17-07-2013, 05:12 PM
I had to get a loan car while a small items of work was carried out on my car - just wanted to add, that it was not fault in the car, but the people who cleaned the car after the software update was done, dinged the trim - Audi were very good and replaced the trim..... anyway while the work was being carried out I had the loan of a A6 S-line and it was interesting to note some of the differences...

1) Park assist seems to be default vs advanced key;

2) The chrome trim on the outside door handles are no longer there....

Also the loan car had 19" wheels vs the 18" I have on my car - I was surprised at how much more road noise the 19" wheels generated... you could also feel the road bumps and pot holes more - but it was not that much worse than on the 18" wheels... but the car felt more firmly planted to the road

I also got to hear the difference between the standard audio (loan car) vs the BOSE audio in my car.... overall not bad for a standard fit radio - but the BOSE systems is better - but I think for the extra money you pay for the BOSE, I didnt this the extra quality matched this extra ££.

The difference between the monochrome DIS vs the colour DIS is a big difference - I would say always tick the box for the colour DIS (I am glad that my car has it)

Both cars had been sitting in the sun and the privacy glass made a big difference to the heat inside the car.... I know it's typically not as hot and sunny as it has been lately, but the extra tint on the glass really did keep the inside of the car cooler (but I accept the point that once driving the air con gets the car cool quickly)

Which leads me to the final difference - my car has four zone climate control - this cooled the car down a lot faster than the standard dual zone climate control.... I also notices that while waiting at a traffic light with the engine stopped under the 'stop/start' control, the dual zone climate control's fan seems to increase in power until the car restarted.... where as on the 4 zone systems, the air kept blowing at the same rate....

The loan car also had heads-up display - really liked this - very useful to have the speed and sat nav directions right in front of your eyes... but I was not too keen on what looks like a bolt on afterthought.... cant understand why Audi could not integrated this feature in a neater way.... vs the extra box on top of dash.... I think it spoils the look of the dash.... but saying that if I was ordering the car again, I think I would tick the box for this option...

Hippogriff
19-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Also the loan car had 19" wheels vs the 18" I have on my car - I was surprised at how much more road noise the 19" wheels generated... you could also feel the road bumps and pot holes more - but it was not that much worse than on the 18" wheels... but the car felt more firmly planted to the road

I also got to hear the difference between the standard audio (loan car) vs the BOSE audio in my car.... overall not bad for a standard fit radio - but the BOSE systems is better - but I think for the extra money you pay for the BOSE, I didnt this the extra quality matched this extra ££.

Both these comments make me extra concerned about my current aspiration for an A6 Black Edition with 20" wheels and BOSE.

MFGF
19-07-2013, 01:23 PM
2) The chrome trim on the outside door handles are no longer there....

I don't ever remember seeing a C7 with chrome on the door handles! Does yours? I can't see where the inserts would go on mine. My first C6 S line didn't have the gloss pack, and I could see where the chrome strips would have fitted onto the flush door handles, but the design of the C7 handles is a lot different, and there's no obvious insert location. Can you post up a pic?

Cheers!

MF.

Guest 2
19-07-2013, 01:39 PM
No chrome on the door handles on a SE either.

MFGF
19-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Both these comments make me extra concerned about my current aspiration for an A6 Black Edition with 20" wheels and BOSE.

Hippo, I have been in an A4 B8 S line a number of times, and my A6 C7 with 20" wheels and the optional (lower) S line suspension is smoother and more compliant than the A4. Don't be concerned - it's far better than you would imagine!

Cheers!

MF.

fernar
20-07-2013, 03:20 PM
I have a chrome trim on the top of the four door handles - I will post a picture soon...

Eddo1968
20-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Totally agree about the Bose. I found exactly the same thing with a loan car that had it. Better than the standard but not worth the extra that they're charging. The B&O system I had previously was much better.

kingo
20-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I had the same concerns when looking for a new car and the size of the wheels, I had each of the following on extended test drives of 24hrs and used all the cars on motorways, country lanes and in town driving, mercedes E class sport est 18 inch wheels, BMW 5 series se est 17 inch wheels and the Audi a6 avant black edition 20 inch wheels. Both the merc and beamer although nice drives were crashy and you felt much more of the road underneath. The Audi even with 20 inch wheels was a sublime ride compared to the other 2 hence I purchased one, it suprised in fact i was amazed at the ride quality with that size of wheel....

Passatier3
20-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Totally agree about the Bose. I found exactly the same thing with a loan car that had it. Better than the standard but not worth the extra that they're charging. The B&O system I had previously was much better.

The B&O should be better given the price!

Agree about the price of the Bose though - if I hadn't get it as standard I'd have preferred to spend the additional cost on other options.

fernar
21-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Below are the picture on my door handles showing the chrome trip on top of the handles.... the loan car I had (also an s-line) didnt have this finish... I wonder if Audi are no longer putting this on...

Eddo1968
21-07-2013, 11:33 PM
The B&O that I had in my Allroad was much cheaper than what they're asking for it in the A6. I think it was under 1000 euros, and the sound was amazing in comparison to the Bose in the A6. I've just checked the Audi.ch site and the B&O is CHF 9100 which makes it about GBP 6000! For an A4 it's around CHF 1000. I can't understand the difference in price, and has anybody here actually specced this because the cost is ridiculous...

Eddo1968
21-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that my handles are the same. Chrome on top but body colour on the sides.

johnsimcox
22-07-2013, 09:25 AM
The B&O that I had in my Allroad was much cheaper than what they're asking for it in the A6. I think it was under 1000 euros, and the sound was amazing in comparison to the Bose in the A6. I've just checked the Audi.ch site and the B&O is CHF 9100 which makes it about GBP 6000! For an A4 it's around CHF 1000. I can't understand the difference in price, and has anybody here actually specced this because the cost is ridiculous...
On the A4 the B&O option is effectively the equivalent of the Bose option on the A6, (ie more speakers, better amps 5.1 surround) the B&O option on the A6 goes to the next level and includes such things as the motorised tweeters theta pop up out of the dash. Agree that there may be few who will specify such an expensive option on their car, although it probably becomes less of shock when it is being put into a BiTDI, S6 or RS6, but I have read on another forum of (US based) owners who have it and cannot speak highly enough of it. I would think you would need to be a serious audiophile to really feel the need to spend that amount

MFGF
22-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Below are the picture on my door handles showing the chrome trip on top of the handles.... the loan car I had (also an s-line) didnt have this finish... I wonder if Audi are no longer putting this on...

Wow! I like those a lot!! I didn't see an option for these when I was ordering the car. I can't ever recall seeing another C7 with them either. Thanks for the pics!

Edit: I just checked my brochure from September 2011 and there is no mention anywhere of chrome inserts in the door handles. Sigh.

MF.

Hippogriff
22-07-2013, 10:58 AM
... but I have read on another forum of (US based) owners who have it and cannot speak highly enough of it.

If I'd spent £6,300 on a set of fancy acoustic lenses, various amps. and a reduced boot space, then I would also find I could not speak highly enough of it. Secretly, though, I would probably feel like a numptie. ;)

fernar
22-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Ref the chrome on the door handles...

I have been trying to figure out which of the options on my car might possibly give the chrome on the door handles - and I think it might either be

1) Advanced Key
2) Lighting package

Advanced Key as this requires sensors on the door handles (and also the loan car didnt have this) and Lighting package adds not only the lighting on the inside of the car, but also LED lighting on the door handles that light up when the car is unlocked...

Cant think that any of the other options would trigger the chrome handles....

Whippy53
22-07-2013, 12:51 PM
it's not the light pack.

MFGF
22-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Ref the chrome on the door handles...

I have been trying to figure out which of the options on my car might possibly give the chrome on the door handles - and I think it might either be

1) Advanced Key
2) Lighting package

Advanced Key as this requires sensors on the door handles (and also the loan car didnt have this) and Lighting package adds not only the lighting on the inside of the car, but also LED lighting on the door handles that light up when the car is unlocked...

Cant think that any of the other options would trigger the chrome handles....

I ordered the lighting pack, and mine has no chrome on the handles. Advanced Key is a possibility - I didn't go for this option.

Cheers!

MF.

Passatier3
22-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Unlikely, as who would go to the trouble, but another answer might be that the owner had them chromed? Or, did any earlier A6's have chrome handles that fit?

Funny how these fashions keep going round and round.

MFGF
22-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Completely new handle design for the C7, so older-model handles won't fit. It's a puzzle! :)

Passatier3
22-07-2013, 03:15 PM
That's that idea out of the window then.

Taking them off to have them chromed would be a faff but having them painted wouldn't be - I've just remembered that there is a chrome paint available now which is supposed to be very good. Just loosen them off to mask behind and away you go.

fernar
22-07-2013, 03:43 PM
:-) No I didnt have them chromed..... my car only has original factory fit Audi options.... also car a two other A6s in the Audi dealer forecourt with chrome handles as I drove by this morning.... so I now intrigued as to which option give the chrome handles..... or maybe it's something Audi dont do any more...

My car is 1 year old (I got it from new) - options on the car are:

A6 Avant (3.0 TDI Multi) S-line
Technology pack (which included advance key at the time I ordered the car)
4-Zone air con
Ambient lighting pack
Electric font seats
Electric heated, folding, side mirrors with memory
DAB (was not standard when i ordered the car)
BOSE
Adaptive lights + high beam assist
Privacy glass
Storage pack

There was no options for chrome door handles - so hence why I belive it must have come with one of the options or was standard with the car at the time...

Bigswede
22-07-2013, 03:59 PM
In Sweden you get the top side of the handles chromed when bying the Advanced Key Option.

daycartes
22-07-2013, 04:18 PM
My wife's bog standard A3 cab has chrome handles, my C7 A6 doesn't.

Passatier3
22-07-2013, 06:22 PM
I Googled it and on another site they were saying that chrome door handles were available on some other models (other than A6) in some cases so it does look as though it is something that Audi provides as standard and then drops. Unless someone can link them to an option.

Would go with some colour-schemes and trims but not all of course.

MFGF
23-07-2013, 02:47 PM
In Sweden you get the top side of the handles chromed when bying the Advanced Key Option.

Aha! So this could be the answer! I wonder if we should start a poll to see who has the Advanced Key option and chrome strips on the door handles :)

MF.

Bigswede
24-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Aha! So this could be the answer! I wonder if we should start a poll to see who has the Advanced Key option and chrome strips on the door handles :)

MF.
If I select the Technics package in Sweden I get "Audi Music Interface, Advanced key, Electric booth opener and Audi parking system pro". In the description for Advanced Key it is suddenly referred to as Comfort Key (!?) and there it says I'll get a chrome trim ontop of the doorhandle. As always we always get ****** deals on equipment compared to you or your cousins across the pond. You all get fancy stuff included but we always have to pay like 2000£ extra for the cheapest satnav...yes I'm a bitter ;)

Steve Wagstaff
24-07-2013, 12:29 PM
my 2013 3.0 Bi-TDI Sline has chrome trim on top of handles.

fernar
24-07-2013, 02:22 PM
At the moment there is poll running to understand if Advanced Key triggers the chrome door handles - but I wonder if the trigger is the 3.0 litre engines.

Steve Wagstaff
24-07-2013, 02:58 PM
At the moment there is poll running to understand if Advanced Key triggers the chrome door handles - but I wonder if the trigger is the 3.0 litre engines.

I do have Advanced Key and Chrome Handles. Mine came with Comfort Pack and Technology Pack. It may also relate to Bi_TDI models?

fernar
24-07-2013, 06:25 PM
My car is a 3.0TDI - by Multi only..... at the time I ordered the pack (cant remember if it was the Technology Pack or the Comfortpack) which included Advance Key - I think Audi then swapped out the Advance Key to the auto parking option....

I wonder if all the 3.0 TDI/bi-TDI cars have the chrome handles..... does anyone with a 2.0TDI have chrome handles?

fernar
24-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Scratch that last entry - just remembered that the loan car I had from Audi was also a A6 3.0 TDI Multi s-line and that also didnt have the chrome door handles.... so the mystery continues....

Guest 2
24-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Would it be something to do with the Exterior/Interior Lighting pack along with the Ambient lighting?

Probably still the Advanced Key due to the handles housing the sensors.

QQ1 and QQ2

QQ1
Lighting package. Includes lighting for exterior:
Courtesy lighting on the underside of the door handles and LED door handle lighting for easy entry and exit
in the dark
- Automatic activation when the doors are unlocked
- Active internal door reflectors
Interior:
- Entrance lighting
- LED technology
- 2 reading lights at front and rear
- Front footwell
- Inside door handles
- Make-up lights
- Storage compartment in the centre console
- Ambient lighting of the centre console
- Ambient reflected light for inside door trims

QQ2
Ambient lighting.
In addition to interior and exterior lighting package (QQ1), anti-glare LED illumination for
the passenger compartment. Lighting for door pockets, footwells and inside door handles, reflected lighting for
centre console and door inner panels to help occupants find their way around. Surround lighting for centre console
(floating effect), make-up lights at front and active door reflectors, with illuminated door sill trims (please note
this will delete S line or S6 logo). Configured via MMI

ukgroucho
24-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Could be the lighting package(s) cos both include handles with LEDs in the bottom and maybe that is the 'trigger' for the blinged handles.

And it's not advanced key - at least not on the Allroad.

Q7quattro
30-04-2015, 08:50 PM
My approved s line a6 2.0 tdi was delivered 27th april from main dealer this week, car was first registered Nov 2011.

My door handles have the "Chrome Strip"

The extras added were:

Technology Package (AMI,colour display,Audi Connect , larger MMi screen)

Comfort Pack (electric seats , memory, Advanced Key , and 360 degree cameras)

Hope this helps

mr.ots
01-05-2015, 11:29 AM
My 2.0 tdi se has the chrome topped handles and my car has advanced key which I think is the requirement. I also have the lighting package with the handle lights but I think others have this without the chrome.

GrolschUK
01-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Advanced Key is indeed the requirement, however it gets deleted if paired with the BE/Black Styling Pack

Advanced key with electric hands-free boot opening system and power-operated bootlid for Avant models.
Access

and authorisation system that works through automatic data exchange between key and vehicle, allowing the driver to

keep their car key in their pocket or bag at all times. To unlock and open, simply lift the exterior door handle. The door

is locked by pressing the button on the handle. Pressing the start/stop button integrated in the centre console starts

and stops the engine. Also includes an electric hands-free tailgate release sensor located underneath the rear bumper,

which can be operated by a simple kicking movement underneath the sensor. The power operated tailgate opens by

using either the hands-free sensor with kicking movement or by pressing the button on the radio-operated remote

control key, the button in the driver’s door panel or the soft touch button in the bootlid handle recess. The tailgate

is then electrically closed by a button on the inside of the bootlid, button in the driver's door or press and hold the

radio-operated remote control key. Avant models come with power-operated tailgate as standard. Also includes
decorative aluminium strips in the door handles (these are deleted if in combination with Black styling pack (4ZD))

mr.ots
01-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I love the hands free opening of the boot lid, very useful when your hands are full :-)