PDA

View Full Version : Changing up the gears on the Tiptronic gearbox

EvilPostIt
17-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if was having the same issue as me. With the paddles I try to change gears up and it doesnt let me... It will allow me to change down and back up to where I was. This happens even if I push the gear lever over to the left into manual mode too. I assume the engine is deciding there is no point and therefore no allowing me but wanted to see if this was standard behavior or if I need to give the dealer a call....

Thanks in advance.

kingo
17-07-2013, 09:21 AM
On previous cars I have had with tiptronic boxes unless its safe to do so it wont let you go into to higher gear.

EvilPostIt
17-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Why would it be unsafe to change up? I can understand why not down but up?

kingo
17-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Sorry I mean to higher gear, if the car thinks your trying to put in higher gear to early...

Guest 2
17-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Yep it won't let you change up if the revs are too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daycartes
17-07-2013, 05:45 PM
I found the flappy paddles most useful in the snow, they help you to slow down really quickly without having to use the brakes. Going up the gears using the flappy paddles I found a bit pointless as the gearbox knows when to change better than humans!

EvilPostIt
17-07-2013, 05:49 PM
As you say Chris, it based upon revs. I does allow you to change up as long your above 1,400 revs.

Guest 2
17-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Re snow, put the gearbox in S as it won't change up unless you tell it so you'll has more control over your speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbanfie
19-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Evil,

My tiptronic behaves the same as yours and as others have noted it's pretty standard behaviour on modern autos.

One feature I have discovered that I like is some kind of auto hill decent control.

If you are going slowly down a steepish hill (the car has an inclinometer) then it will hold in 2nd gear even with no foot on the throttle, and allow the revs to go really high performing much engine breaking - as soon as you reach the flat and touch the accelerator you're in 5th gear before you know it!

Did quite a bit of this on the hills of Wales the other weekend.

EvilPostIt
19-07-2013, 09:13 AM
That should be useful today. Got a 4 hour drive to go camping out west, should be a fair few hills on the a roads. Is it bad that I'm looking forward to porlock hill?