PDA

View Full Version : 150 mile round trip and brilliant mpg out of the 3 litre lump

s7gpt
14-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Leeds to scarborough and back today, not hanging around with a little bit of traffic on way home, 4 in the car and a full boot 44.8mpg - well chuffed :approve:

gdallas
14-07-2013, 10:27 PM
ye thats about what i got going up the a9 with two kids and a boot full, then 47mpg on way back down... loves the motorways

trance
16-07-2013, 12:53 PM
That seems pretty dam good, is that a calculated figure?

Best I have had is 42 and that was driving like miss daisy!
The 3.0 ltr definitely loves the motorway, round town lucky to get 35 mpg!

theskyfox
16-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Likewise, don't think I've ever seen better than about 40/42mpg. Could probably better that figure if I did 100% motorway driving and didn't go over 55mph, but wheres the fun in that? :biglaugh:

-Andrew

longjohn1985
16-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I driver up to Aberdeen alot and get 44-45 mpg no problem but this was only since I removed the cats. Before then it was always 38-40 mpg but that's driving with a lead foot ha

MLI33D
16-07-2013, 02:28 PM
ye thats about what i got going up the a9 with two kids and a boot full, then 47mpg on way back down... loves the motorways

On the flip side - the power surge is always there on tap to pull away at any (legal) speed!

This engine is one of the key points for the A4 which blows the "it's no different to the VW\Seat\Skoda equivalent" comment out of the water........

trance
16-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I driver up to Aberdeen alot and get 44-45 mpg no problem but this was only since I removed the cats. Before then it was always 38-40 mpg but that's driving with a lead foot ha

So is there a dpf and a cat on these cars?
You working offshore then mate?

s7gpt
16-07-2013, 06:10 PM
That seems pretty dam good, is that a calculated figure?

Best I have had is 42 and that was driving like miss daisy!
The 3.0 ltr definitely loves the motorway, round town lucky to get 35 mpg! its what the DIS said and was not hanging around, to be honest the more 'progress' I make on a long drive the better it seems to be. that said if I use the cruise control then it does drop !

longjohn1985
16-07-2013, 07:20 PM
So is there a dpf and a cat on these cars?
You working offshore then mate?

There is two cats on mine. Think the facelift models have a dpf too. Makes a big difference when they are off and combined with the milltek exhaust it sounds great. Wouldn't think it was a diesel. And yea mate work offshore

theskyfox
22-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Just managed 41mpg on the way to work in Luton this morning. Would have been better, but got stuck in a lot of stop-start traffic by the M11. Will try again earlier in the morning and see if I can better it!

-Andrew

trance
23-07-2013, 11:14 AM
There is two cats on mine. Think the facelift models have a dpf too. Makes a big difference when they are off and combined with the milltek exhaust it sounds great. Wouldn't think it was a diesel. And yea mate work offshore

Spent bit of time north sea on semi subs myself, left few years back. Few too many hitlers for me :D

Would really like the miltek but for a grand all in, it aint cheap!
Did you get round the dpf deletion ok, jim at star performance told me, no one has really sussed out the electronic side of it?

theskyfox
24-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Spent bit of time north sea on semi subs myself, left few years back. Few too many hitlers for me :D

Would really like the miltek but for a grand all in, it aint cheap!
Did you get round the dpf deletion ok, jim at star performance told me, no one has really sussed out the electronic side of it?

For what its worth, a lot of companies out there are advertising a 3.0tdi dpf delete...so I'm sure it must be possible now? Personally unless its
giving you any problems I'd just leave it well alone. Compared to the 2.0tdi the 3 litre engine has far less dpf problems, and from what I've been told
it was actually designed into the engine system properly as opposed to an after-thought.

-Andrew