PDA

View Full Version : Buying an Audi A5/A6

dancook
10-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Whilst my fiancée, Louise, would probably rather a A1/A3, I'm keen on the A5/A6. She wants practicality and rear seats.. so the Audi TT was out.

Now mostly I love the look of the A5, but I have read the A6 is more 'refined'. I'm not sure if I'm missing out on something the A6 has to offer if I settle on the A5 purely for its looks (of course the A6 is still good looking).

I'm looking to spend up to about £20,000 on a used car. If it doesn't sound like a stupid idea, we'd like to think we'd keep with the same car for a good 10 years.

For Louise MPG is king! I think the 2.0 TDI is our only real option on engine - unless someone has a convincing argument otherwise.

Does any one have any advice to get me started?

Maybe features, or style I should be aiming to get with the money? I posted in the A6 part of the forum, because you might have a better idea of why it would be a better purchase over the A5? I would quite like a built in sat nav (though not a deal breaker) just tired of sat nav falling off screen :)

Cheers, Dan

Goal flag
10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Hi Dan,

I had the same dilemma recently as I could not decide between the A4, A5 and A6. Visually I think they are all very similar.

After spending some time at the dealer the A4 was crossed off the list quite quickly, we were not keen on the interior styling and the rear leg room was a tad cramped for our needs. We liked both the A5 (5 door) and A6 so it came down to price and the A6 having a slightly bigger boot. We picked up a 2012 ex demonstrator A6 2.0 TDI SE manual with 6k on the clock for just over £20k 5 weeks ago. I can't fault the car. Masses of room in the back for my 2 children, boot is just right for x2 sets of golf clubs, trolleys, shoes, overnight bags etc.

Sat Nav is build in and I find it really easy to use, especially the voice recognition for addresses and destinations.

Audiholic Dave
10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Hello Dan

Having gone from an A3 to a TT to an A5 and now the A6 I can only assume by referring to praticality you are considering an A5 sportback as the standard A5 has about the same useless back seat unless it is exculsively for children under 8 years who don't mind clambering through the narrow V shape to access the rear! My experience thus far is that the A6 is completely different proposition from a refinement/practicality and technology perspective. I loved the looks of the A5 but it pales into insignificance compared to the A6. As usual its all a matter of choice but I cannot fault the A6 at any level which I could easily for the A3 (build quality), TT (not practical) A5 (practicality and hard ride), its an interesting dilema maybe its just my age??

Dave

dancook
10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
It was the sportback A5. One thing I've considered in the background was the ride, what with the potholes we get.. it'd be nice to not cry every time I accidentally hit one..

I'm 30 now, but 5 years ago I had an T-Reg A6 - really loved it, such a handsome car too. Maybe I am moving towards the A6...

Audiholic Dave
10-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Dan

Ride quallity for the A6 is far superior to the A5 and you have a choice of 4 settings, not withstanding the size of alloys you go for!

Dave

Olio
10-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I also considered the A4 / A5 / A6.

The A5 is an A4 with a hatch that costs a bomb.

The A6 is more refined in my opinion. Although I have not driven the A5, so cannot comment on the respective driving.

For economy, it seems you achieve better figures with a manual (my multitronic is due end of August, can't give you my own figures) according to this forum.

I would also look at what you can get for around £20k, as I don't think you'd be far a brand new one via DTD. (just checked, vanilla 2.0 TDI SE for £23.5k)

jbaker
10-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I was torn between the A5 and the A6. As others have said, there is more leg room in the A6.

The A5 coupe and sports back had more road and wind noise than the A6 that tested two months ago......and that was with the 20" wheels.

As a good friend if mine recently raid.... In an A6 you feel that you have "Arrived"

dancook
10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Time to convince Louise I think ;)

She seems to be in a good mood about it so far... although she did ask how much I was looking to spend. I just said as much as the brand new cars like the A1 we were talking about...:o

shabazmo
10-07-2013, 08:10 PM
The A5 is the sexy one, but old technology while the A6 is the sensible one with upto date everything and is the better bet in both short and long term. Don't rule out the 3.0 diesel 2wd as it just as economical as the 2.0 tdi. If you really like the A5, then go for the A7 for a bit more money, but a lot more standard kit. Same car but different look, and the benefit of hatchback.

Kieron Mullan
10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Posting a question like this on an A6 forum is only going to give you one answer, the same as if you posted the same question on Audi A5/S5 Owners Club - A5_OC (http://www.a5oc.com).

I had an A5 2.7TDI Multitronic Cab for 4 years and then sold itflats month for the A6. To be honest it was due to personal circumstances and given the choice I would have preferred to swap the A5 Cab for a new one; it was a superb car, although it was pretty well loaded, but financially, to add the extras necessary to spec a new one to a position similar to the A6, was just too much.

For 20K, you should be able to pick up a really nice A5 SB and despite what others have said, the A5 SB isn't that cramped in the back. If you compare it to the A6, yes it is, but the A6 is a bigger car, hence the perception the SB is cramped. It largely depends on how much space you 'want' and 'need'. Both are good cars, I guess it comes down to whether your priority is space v aesthetics.

My suggestion would be to check out the aforementioned forum, and take a test drive in both cars, before making your mind up.

Good luck.

Cheers