PDA

View Full Version : Vibration noise HUD

shabazmo
09-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I have had the vibration noise coming from the HUD plastic window fixed on several occasions but the noise vibration still keeps coming back. Now at 43K miles and over 2 years old, has anyone had this problem fixed and what did the dealer do? Thanks.

Guest 2
09-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I had some rattles on my A6 dash just after I got it, Audi sorted it with pieces of felt under warranty.

@mark
10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I had this problem on mine.

I actually did a temporary fix by shoving some thin card into the edges of the plastic screen until I could get it to the dealer to do a proper fix.

I was expecting them to just put some felt where the card was but they insisted in replacing the entire HUD unit (which means taking the screen out) instead.

The new unit looks to be a different design to the old one and so far (touch wood) the rattle hasn't returned.

shabazmo
10-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks for that Mike. I can now ask them to fix it for good. It must be 3 times that they have tried putting felt around the housing, but to no avail. I will chase for a permanant fix. It just so happens that my windscreen has a 15mm crack on it so maybe some benefit on a new HUD display.

@mark
11-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I will chase for a permanant fix. It just so happens that my windscreen has a 15mm crack on it so maybe some benefit on a new HUD display.

They won't take out the screen if it has a crack in it as there is a risk it will fail. I had this problem with mine in that the day before it was due to go in, I picked up a significant stone chip.

National Windscreens (who my insurer insisted I used) told me that they could fix the chip but that when the screen was taken out, it may not hold so recommended a replacement. In the case of the A7 there was no such thing as an OEM screen so they had to get it from the dealer anyway.

So what ended up happening was that National Windscreens went to the dealer on the Monday morning and removed the old screen, the dealer then replaced the HUD then National Windscreens returned the following day to fit the new genuine Audi glass and then leave the dealer to recalibrate all the sensors etc.

I think this is the first time I have had a screen replaced by the insurance recommended company and had no issues at all.

shabazmo
15-07-2013, 10:23 PM
For some reason I thought that a new windscreen would be put in if the old one was removed. Silly me.