PDA

View Full Version : Golf GT Shark Fin Aerial

C5Clive
08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I'd be interested to know from the guys with GT's, are they fitted with a roof mounted Sharks Fin Aerial, and if so is it colour coded to the bodywork?

Cheers

Guest 2
08-07-2013, 09:43 PM
If its anything like my A3 and A6 then Bluetooth is the basic requirement for the sharkfin but obviously being a Golf, this could be different but I can't see it being much different.

ept55
09-07-2013, 07:43 AM
No it,s not colour coded it,s gloss black hope it helps.

CelticGolf
09-07-2013, 07:46 AM
We have a sunset red SE 1.6dti dsg Mk7(now 4 weeks old). Our aerial is black. If that is any help. Must admit I was surprised as on my Volvo XC60(2010 model) it is colour coded. I should also confess I hadn't given it much thought when ordering the golf.
Should also add we have only done 600 miles in it and as yet not had any dpf issues.

ept55
09-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry should have said I have a Tornado Red 1.4 GT.

C5Clive
09-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replies all.

To be honest I didn't give it much consideration either. I just noticed that the MK 7 GT's on autotrader seemed to have them, and the ones in the VW brochure didn't.

I am not too bothered if they have them or not really, but I'd prefer it if they are fitted that they match the body colour.

DW58
09-07-2013, 10:14 AM
If my Mk.6 is anything to go by, the fact that any particular Golf has a sharks-fin aerial is usually indicative of it having factory-fitted Satav.

The Mk.6 version looks like this:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/015b1f02144213a8c2fd4340cf8530e0.jpg

JDB007
09-07-2013, 04:51 PM
My GT has it in shiny black (matches the centre dash panel) and looks fine with Sunset Red.

G0rdon
09-07-2013, 10:14 PM
The black looks fine with reflex silver, too.

ept55
10-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Not only does it match the dash it also matches the grill and door panel inserts to.

Allmac
10-07-2013, 11:09 AM
We have a sunset red SE 1.6dti dsg Mk7(now 4 weeks old). Our aerial is black. If that is any help. Must admit I was surprised as on my Volvo XC60(2010 model) it is colour coded. I should also confess I hadn't given it much thought when ordering the golf.
Should also add we have only done 600 miles in it and as yet not had any dpf issues. Just waiting for delivery of my Golf GT 1.4tsi ACT DSG in Tungsten Silver but disappointed that shark fin won't be colour coded to body.....coincidently I also have a XC60 and confirm that my satnav shark fin also matches the body colour! Had a problem with the DPF on the Volvo (205PS D5 engine) resulting in rising oil level in crankcase due to excess diesel from regeneration process. Software update cured the problem but I wasn't happy with dilution of oil!

C5Clive
10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Just waiting for delivery of my Golf GT 1.4tsi ACT DSG in Tungsten Silver but disappointed that shark fin won't be colour coded to body.....coincidently I also have a XC60 and confirm that my satnav shark fin also matches the body colour! Had a problem with the DPF on the Volvo (205PS D5 engine) resulting in rising oil level in crankcase due to excess diesel from regeneration process. Software update cured the problem but I wasn't happy with dilution of oil!

Different people have different ideas I guess, personally I think that a black aerial stuck on a different colour car makes it look like an aftermarket addition. It wouldn't have take much extra effort to stick one on that matches. Shows a lack of ATD on a +£20k car if you ask me, plus they weren't even shown on the GT's in the brochure.

mcmaddy
11-07-2013, 11:02 PM
the small black shark fin looks much much better than a colour coded one. looks very tacky and chavvy being same colour as car.

C5Clive
12-07-2013, 07:24 AM
the small black shark fin looks much much better than a colour coded one. looks very tacky and chavvy being same colour as car.

So, your opinion is that Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi and Volvo have all made their cars look more downmarket by adding colour coded accessories and by bucking that trend and putting a Black accessory on a White car VW have done the opposite......interesting.

Perhaps then, VW should do this more....spraying the wing mirrors, exterior body trim and bumpers a totally different colour to the car could be a huge step forward in styling

ellie43
12-07-2013, 08:07 AM
I have the 1.4 SE in Tungsten Silver - until reading this thread I hadn't even noticed what colour it was! To my eyes, it looks fine .... and it matches the tyres ......
;)

Allmac
12-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Interesting comment.....do you also think that the door handles, bumpers and parking sensors are also chavvy as they are colour coded to car or just the shark fin?:o

mcmaddy
12-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Calm down, calm down @allmac. Youve gone a bit OTT with door handles, and wing mirrors. If you look at the BMW it looks rubbish with a colour coded aerial. Some cars look good with colour coded bits but others just done. VW have never had colour coded shark fins and to be honest if you were having to replace a damaged or broken one it would cost more. VW's suit the black fin.

C5Clive
12-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Calm down, calm down @allmac. Youve gone a bit OTT with door handles, and wing mirrors. If you look at the BMW it looks rubbish with a colour coded aerial. Some cars look good with colour coded bits but others just done. VW have never had colour coded shark fins and to be honest if you were having to replace a damaged or broken one it would cost more. VW's suit the black fin.

Ah yes, the cost to replace, a definate plus what with it being such a high wear and tear item. I'm sure Golf drivers are continually having to replace their aeriels..........

Brycie
12-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Hope you don't mind me jumping the fence to comment in the Golf section gents, but this is a subject I've been speaking about recently. I really like the Vauxhall Insignia & would definitely consider it as my next car. However since noticing that regardless of car colour, all the aerials are black plastic & now I've noticed it, that's all I can focus on. Imo it looks like Vauxhall have skimped on a minor detail to save a few quid & I wouldn't be able to buy an Insignia unless it was a dark colour so it's less obvious.

However I revently welcomed a new VWAF member who was coming from an Insignia & he said lots of people on VODC (I think it was) had modded theirs to colour code it, apparently a quick & easy job. So everyone can have it their way I guess.

mcmaddy
13-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Ah yes, the cost to replace, a definate plus what with it being such a high wear and tear item. I'm sure Golf drivers are continually having to replace their aeriels..........

why is that when anyone expresses a different opinion on forums people jump down there necks. ffs it's an opinion that differs from your own, deal with it!. I think colour coded aerials look crap and you don't, end of discussion. no need to reply with sarcastic comments. if you can't handle the fact that people don't agree with you then don't come on public access forums.

Kar Krazy
13-07-2013, 02:33 PM
why is that when anyone expresses a different opinion on forums people jump down there necks. ffs it's an opinion that differs from your own, deal with it!. I think colour coded aerials look crap and you don't, end of discussion. no need to reply with sarcastic comments. if you can't handle the fact that people don't agree with you then don't come on public access forums.

Don't let it get to you, mate. On a thread about alloy wheels, I mentioned that my Le Mans alloys took longer to wash due to their 14 spokes, and some bright spark told me that I should get a Smart car because the whole car is faster to wash, being smaller. You just have to rise above it, which I admit I didn't at the time!

My Condor Grey A3 S-Line has a black sharkfin aerial and I didn't notice it until the first time I washed it. Personally I'd like to see the car with a body-colour aerial rather than black, so you and I can agree to disagree on this small point and move on without any ill feeling.

All the best,
KK

C5Clive
13-07-2013, 04:46 PM

I have no issue with others having opinions that differ to mine. I have said exactly this in an earlier post on this thread.

If however, people choose to use insulting language to illustrate this opinion, then I think I have the right to respond in kind.

Just for the record, discussions don't end because you want them to, in the same way that people don't stop using a forum because you think they should.

G0rdon
13-07-2013, 07:01 PM
It's an aerial, it receives a signal, so does it matter what colour it is?!

Get the car in black if the mismatch is an issue!

Allmac
15-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Calm down, calm down @allmac. Youve gone a bit OTT with door handles, and wing mirrors. If you look at the BMW it looks rubbish with a colour coded aerial. Some cars look good with colour coded bits but others just done. VW have never had colour coded shark fins and to be honest if you were having to replace a damaged or broken one it would cost more. VW's suit the black fin. I'm sure that the only reason VW don't paint the satnav fins is purely cost saving and nothing to do with aesthetics or to avoid of being thought as of chavvy or whatever the German equivalent is. I shall order a supply of spare black fins for replacement purposes but my main worry is the coefficient of friction of my shell suit on the GT's alcantara upholstery:o

lozzer
18-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Just read this thread and had a look at my sharks fin on pearl black metallic.

The roof is dirty and covered in dust. The fin is spotless!

Why can't VW choose materials that react to dirt in an identical way? very poor ATD.

DW58
18-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Just read this thread and had a look at my sharks fin on pearl black metallic.

The roof is dirty and covered in dust. The fin is spotless!

Why can't VW choose materials that react to dirt in an identical way? very poor ATD.

You could always use a surface sealant on your paintwork which will repel dust/dirt.

lozzer
18-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi Rob,

I have Ceramishield on my car. My response was tongue in cheek in response to some of the moans :)

I should have made it more clear.

Cheers

Lozzer

DW58
18-07-2013, 06:40 PM
So was mine Lozzer - my car is currently filthy, but the sharksfin gleams in the sunlight.

We need a "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon.