PDA

View Full Version : Removing A3 rear light unit.

Tagbartok
07-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Had water in the light housing and a rear indicator bulb out on my A3 1.8 TFSI and what a pig it was to get the light unit off. Even the handbook states it's very easy to damage the paintwork doing this and so it recommends going to a garage to let a professional do it???!!! I used a paint scraper with insulation tape wrapped around it to successfully protect the paint but I've just ordered some proper trim levers for future use. I can't see how the water got in but it's all dried out now. I put some silicone grease on the seal to see if it stops any more water getting in, fingers crossed. While I had the silicone grease out I put some on the rubber fixing grommets and the studs which hold the light unit in place too. Now it's possible to simply ease the unit off instead of having to lever it off. I don't know why grease isn't applied at the factory to make removal so much easier and less risky. Steve

Guest 2
07-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Which year? Sportback? 3 door? Cabriolet?

Mine is steamed up the tiniest bit, not gonna bother with it.

My a6 however is very prone to condensation.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagbartok
07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Hi A6_Chris

Mine is 58 plate 1.8 TFSI Sport 3 door but from what I can gather the method of removal for the rear light units is the same on all A3's unless later models have changed.
Cheers,
Steve

Tagbartok
14-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Ok so after drying out my drivers side rear light unit last weekend I washed the car this morning and now I have condensation inside it again!
I understand there is a much reported problem on some models with water ingress but does anyone know exactly where the water gets into the unit. I very much doubt the dealer will be interested in a warranty replacement on a four year old car so my next thought was to cure the problem myself. However when I checked the unit for cracks and likely gaps in the casing I couldn't find anything.
I'm hoping that an application of silicone sealant in the right place will do the trick if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Cheers,
Steve