PDA

View Full Version : Can a remap be applied so "D" & "S" allow switching between two styles?

gupsterg
04-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi fellow members :D ...

My query is my car has a sports mode it can make the car feel so different but at times harsh, well sort of a brash software remap thing :Blush: ...

Now soon I will have all I need to clean the intake + charge air + EGR system and coupled with the new injectors I installed in Dec 12 I'm thinking of getting a remap ...

Can remappers do two different maps selectable via the gear change of "D" mode to "S" mode on my car?

I have a 2005 Audi A6 Avant quattro V6 3.0 TDi with TipTronic gearbox ...

Engine code: BMK , Trans.code: HKG

Ideally I'd like "D" mode to be a balanced remap of power/economy and "S" mode a completely power orientated remap but a refined version of it's current state ...

MarkTM
08-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Gup, from my very limited understanding of remapping and modding I don't believe it's possible without actually changing the software that controls your transmission.

For instance I supercharged an MX5 to 16psi, then added methanol injection and high lift cams and a hayward & scott zaust, my last mod was...wait for it a nitros kit(not used on-road honest!)

0-60 was just a little lively but I had to twice have the transmission modified to retard the change up, first moving the parameters by 10mph and then by 15, was an auto import and luckily the tranny was the same one used by 2.5 & 3.0 London taxi's at the time, so could defo handle the torque.

After my recent remap in my A6 (albeit for economy) I wouldn't say 'S' was never harsh...more brutal :biglaugh:

gupsterg
08-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Hi Mark :) ...

I've been trying to dig up info if "S" mode do anything to how engine ECU do things or is it more a transmission behaviour thing with some minor engine parameter/reaction change to giving it some welly :D but not really found any info to clarify what is happening when changing from "D" to "S" ...

So do you thing both modes were improved by remap?

I was gonna start also PM'ing some of the peeps I've noted with remapped V6's to see what their thoughts are, was also hoping a forum sponsor remapper may post info ...

Jason Carson
18-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I asked the very same question about a year ago (not on the forums though). Although i drive a 2.0tdi its same concept

The answer i got from several mapping companies was, no. But after the map i did notice that both 'D' and 'S' behave much better. I find that 'D' doesnt change up and down as much instead it seems to use more of the torque which was given with the map. 'S' is in my opinion is now actually worth using, before the map i never used 'S' i thought it was horrible either all or nothing, 1 minute your at 1400rpm touch the throttle and its red lining every gear change.. now the power is much smoother and i can go faster in 'S' mode without using all my throttle and red lining all the time. Sometimes depending on my mood i now drive around in 'S' mode just for a change which before the map i never used to do.

P.S. havent really noticed a difference in fuel consumption but with increased power i still see it as a good thing and i do tend to use the power more often because it more available.

gupsterg
18-07-2013, 10:25 PM
... i never used 'S' i thought it was horrible either all or nothing, 1 minute your at 1400rpm touch the throttle and its red lining every gear change...

I agree exactly how I think 'S' is currently for me :approve: , I too use it rarely ...

It's great if your really going to just floor car and keep going and going or say for overtaking on a country straight but for general driving it really loses the pleasure of driving for me as it's just so hyped up in a wrong kinda way ...

Thanks for share of info :fing02: ...