PDA

View Full Version : My dads new GTD - first impressions

maisbitt
03-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Forgive the lack of pictures, I don’t seem to be able to link to my photobucket account right now.

Well my dad’s GTD DSG arrived on Monday. We got it treated with G-Techniq C2V3 sealant (treats bodywork, external trim/rubbers and glass without leaving residues on the non-painted parts) which made it feel like it was coated in Teflon and gave an amazing shine – supposedly the stuff will last 8 months and it’s water repellency/beading is as good as I have seen. Very impressed with all the toys and the level of customisation of all the settings in the menus. The interior looks amazing with the black headlining and Jacara cloth seats. I can confirm that it has the “soundaktor” sound actuator fitted that give a nicer (albeit artificial) engine note than a GTI to the internal passengers.

It looks very stealthy in deep black pearl and the Nogaros look great with their black accents.

I only had a brief go in it before my dad drove it down to Southampton yesterday (where he now lives) and it was noticeably more powerful than my 170TDI Scirocco and according to my dad it seems more powerful than his chipped MK5 Golf GT 170TDI PD (supposedly putting out 205PS) which it replaced. It was infinitely more refined than the MK5 – I’d forgotten how much the Golf has come on in even just 6 years for ride refinement and engine smoothness with the CR TDIs over the PD TDIs.

We set up all his systems, opting to set it to eco mode, with aircon on medium and the ADC set on one of the shorter distance settings for his journey home.

I was most intrigued by how it was going to drive the 350 mile journey back to Southampton from Newcastle, especially the MPG – although my dad doesn’t drive to economy ever – he’s usually pushing 90mph on motorways. Anyway, I got his verdict on the drive:-

His overall economy was 45mpg, but in saying that he had the ADC/cruise set to maintain 85mph, the aircon was maintaining 17C, and the official combined figure for the car is 62.7mpg. So on a long journey like that it achieved 72% of official combined, with about 25 miles on it before he set off home. In saying that though, if I had been driving it to do about 75mph on the motorway, without the ADC/cruise or aircon on, I’d have expected to have been around 55mpg in his car, straight out of the box (would expect some modest gains during the first 1000 miles). I do think that the ADC/cruise system active could be the main culprit in disappointing mpg experienced by some on the MK7 TDIs – always a price for convenience.

He did say that in eco mode, when the ADC system slowed the car for someone coming into his lane, when the car went to catch up again it was epically slow on the acceleration and because of this he switched to “Normal” after 200 miles (when they had a rest stop) as well as having a brief go in “sport”. In these modes, automatic reacceleration following ADC initiated slowdown was far quicker (with “sport” being quickest, as expected). He was impressed overall with the ADC but he did say that when a car was coming into the lane ahead, the ADC didn’t seem to recognise the car coming in until it was fully in and squarely ahead of him. I suppose that could be a problem if you got cut up in that until the car is fully in your lane, your car isn’t going to brake – anyone else experienced anything like that with their MK7?

My dad seemed happy enough with his mpg, knowing the way that he drives isn’t exactly representative of ideal conditions, and he’d happily forego 5mpg for the convenience of the ADC/cruise system. 45 mpg is exactly what he got with his 170TDI MK5 on the way up to Newcastle.

Maybe I’m getting old before my time but I think the more driving aids you have, the less attention you’ll be paying to what you should be doing, complacency sets in etc and leaves you less aware of what’s going on around you . I might leave the ADC system active (but not the cruise part of it) if it isn’t intrusive with frequent false alarm braking or interfering with my driving style (if I see the car in front slow down and it appears to be a brief thing or only a light use of the brakes, I will come off the accelerator and cover the brake whilst I allow the gap to close a bit on the assumption that either my engine braking will get me matched to their speed or they’ll speed up again before I will probably need to brake. I use engine braking more than the average driver – letting the car slow itself down and braking a little later for roundabouts (can’t really do engine braking with the cruise on). I will probably only use cruise to stay safe for average speed camera zones.

In the knowledge of my dad’s driving style, him only getting 45mpg doesn’t fill me with dread that I’ll only achieve 75% of official combined figures when I get my manual GTD in September.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02281.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02282.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02280.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02278.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02277.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02286.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02289.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/monkeyhanger710/dads%20GTD/DSC02293.jpg

andyCYM
03-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Maisbitt, based on my experience with a 1.4 ACT, I don't think the ADC sacrifices any economy. With the ACT, an 'eco' sign lights up when the cylinder deactivation is active. This only happens on very light throttle openings. I find that the ACT system is activity for longer when ADC is on, the car has a lighter and quicker 'right foot' than me, it seems.

As for your other comments, you're right that anything that might make a driver complacent could be an issue, but in practice I think ADC is a great safety aid provided you remember you're in control and is very unobtrusive. Remember, you can adjust the time gap (not distance) from the car ahead. I find the third shortest setting is perfect. It's well set up, for example, if a car cuts in front of you but is going faster than you are, the system ignores the other car. If every car had it and used it the M25 would be a very different experience!

Can't detect any issue with slowness to react to lane changes.

BTW, that MPG is more or less what my old Mk6 GTD would have given on a drive like that. Most I got out of it was 62mpg on a 100 mile run sticking to 70.

Huftons
03-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Good to see the first reviews of the GTD on UK roads.

Would be interested to see how you (or your Dad) finds the ride and road noise on the standard 18" rims on typical UK roads. Do you have ACC suspension or standard?

gamichea
03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I think my driving style is much like Maisbitt's, except I use cruise a lot, rather like a hand throttle, knocking it off via the column stalk when I want engine braking, using Resume and the 1 & 5mph increments/decrements when appropriate. I also share his scepticism of the plethora of driving aids currently fitted and the complacency it may breed, most likely in those predisposed to over rely on them. I think my approach to ADC would be to switch it off initially until at ease with the car in my usual set up and then begin to give it a try.

andyCYM, very interested in your experiences as a 1.4 ACT estate is high up my next car list. I am retired, do very little urban/short distance work and am thinking ACT will fit well with long distance trips mainly on dual carriageways and extra urban A & B roads and their European equivalents generally in free flowing conditions. How are you finding fuel consumption compared to the official figures? I am use to getting 49mpg brim to brim against an official combined figure of 50.4mpg and am very happy with this as I drive briskly, generally cruise at the legal limit and it exceed it when conditions so dictate.

EssexGonzo
03-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Nice motor! The interior looks especially classy. Who needs leather? :D

anilberke
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
did you hear any wind noise after 100km/h from front doors?

And also I can not save the interior lightning settings, set it to %100 and after closing the car and opening it after a few hours settings go back to %60.

And last one :) Is it possible for you the send me the chasis number of your dad's gtd. Because I will order some gtd parts for my highline tdi golf but my dealer wants me to suplly them a chasis number to find the parts I want. In Turkey we do not have golf gtd :(

maisbitt
04-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Good to see the first reviews of the GTD on UK roads.

Would be interested to see how you (or your Dad) finds the ride and road noise on the standard 18" rims on typical UK roads. Do you have ACC suspension or standard?

Road noise and ride were fine and he didn't spec ACC. Having a Scirocco with ACC and 18" wheels, I would say my dad's GTD had a slightly nicer ride than ACC in sport mode (the firmest setting) on my Scirocco.

My dad did his first commute to work yesterday and achieved 54mpg as opposed to 60mpg in the chipped MK5 GT 170TDI. Not sure whether the traffic doesn't allow him to really put his foot down on his commute or whether he's in less of a hurry to get home as it's about 15 miles as opposed to 350 miles!

maisbitt
04-07-2013, 07:49 AM
did you hear any wind noise after 100km/h from front doors?

And also I can not save the interior lightning settings, set it to %100 and after closing the car and opening it after a few hours settings go back to %60.

And last one :) Is it possible for you the send me the chasis number of your dad's gtd. Because I will order some gtd parts for my highline tdi golf but my dealer wants me to suplly them a chasis number to find the parts I want. In Turkey we do not have golf gtd :(

Wind noise was almost non existant at 60mph/100kmph, much quieter than my Scirocco which has frameless windows. I will ask about my dad's chassis number next time I phone him. As he lives 350 miles away from me now and I see him 4 times a year, I am more likely to see my own GTD (delivery in Sept) before I see his again.

Gerryf
04-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Excellent write up of Black Beauty Maisbitt :)

dcdick
04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Road noise and ride were fine and he didn't spec ACC. Having a Scirocco with ACC and 18" wheels, I would say my dad's GTD had a slightly nicer ride than ACC in sport mode (the firmest setting) on my Scirocco.

My dad did his first commute to work yesterday and achieved 54mpg as opposed to 60mpg in the chipped MK5 GT 170TDI. Not sure whether the traffic doesn't allow him to really put his foot down on his commute or whether he's in less of a hurry to get home as it's about 15 miles as opposed to 350 miles!

Very nice motor & interesting & informative posts.

Still very disturbing to me that a "sport" model with a larger engine is more economical "out of the box" than the supposed flagship economy diesel................ :(

very nice motor :D

D

maisbitt
04-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Very nice motor & interesting & informative posts.

Still very disturbing to me that a "sport" model with a larger engine is more economical "out of the box" than the supposed flagship economy diesel................ :(

very nice motor :D

D

There’s next to nowt in it between the 2.0TDI 150 and the 2.0TDI 184 with consumption/emissions, as both scrape in under 110g CO2/km in manual guise. Over a 3 year solutions “ownership” period, the GTD is cheaper to own than the GT despite its higher list price, because of its significantly better residuals – only downside is the wait due to limited allocation per dealership.

The temptation is there for people to strive for the biggest fuel savings when picking their model, but it seems like there is almost no fuel penalty for picking a 2.0TDI (even a GTD) over a 1.6TDI, despite what the official VW figures say. I do wonder whether the 2.0 unit is more forgiving with shorter journeys for DPF regen, I have never had a forced regen on my two 2.0TDI CR sciroccos (one 140 and one 170) and I only do 10k miles a year with a 12 mile each way commute.
Maybe you could “borrow” a 2.0TDI Golf off the dealership for a week and see if your style of driving (and length of journey) causes fewer DPF regens?
There is an odd anomaly with the emissions/economy for the GTD.
In manual, both the 3 door and the 5 door variant are 109g CO2/km and in the DSG the 3 door is 119g CO2/km (qualifying for a £30 tax disc) and the 5 door is 122g CO2/km. (also a couple of mpg between the 2, and 5 door has a lower top speed). Either the DSG gets extra heavy back doors over the manual one or the 5 door DSG seems to be geared slightly shorter than the 3 door version (or something weirder that I haven’t even considered).
No similar comparison is possible for GT/SE as the 3 door versions don’t appear to be available with DSG.

dcdick
04-07-2013, 05:23 PM
There’s next to nowt in it between the 2.0TDI 150 and the 2.0TDI 184 with consumption/emissions, as both scrape in under 110g CO2/km in manual guise. Over a 3 year solutions “ownership” period, the GTD is cheaper to own than the GT despite its higher list price, because of its significantly better residuals – only downside is the wait due to limited allocation per dealership.

The temptation is there for people to strive for the biggest fuel savings when picking their model, but it seems like there is almost no fuel penalty for picking a 2.0TDI (even a GTD) over a 1.6TDI, despite what the official VW figures say. I do wonder whether the 2.0 unit is more forgiving with shorter journeys for DPF regen, I have never had a forced regen on my two 2.0TDI CR sciroccos (one 140 and one 170) and I only do 10k miles a year with a 12 mile each way commute.
Maybe you could “borrow” a 2.0TDI Golf off the dealership for a week and see if your style of driving (and length of journey) causes fewer DPF regens?
There is an odd anomaly with the emissions/economy for the GTD.
In manual, both the 3 door and the 5 door variant are 109g CO2/km and in the DSG the 3 door is 119g CO2/km (qualifying for a £30 tax disc) and the 5 door is 122g CO2/km. (also a couple of mpg between the 2, and 5 door has a lower top speed). Either the DSG gets extra heavy back doors over the manual one or the 5 door DSG seems to be geared slightly shorter than the 3 door version (or something weirder that I haven’t even considered).
No similar comparison is possible for GT/SE as the 3 door versions don’t appear to be available with DSG.

Definitely something going on with the 1.6TDI in DSG form as the manuals seem to get decent economy & there is a bit of an emissions "hit" with the DSG boxes in general for diesel as well. Petrol engines seem to thrive on DSG boxes though.
I'm now hearing of VW (or is it the lease company's in collusion ?) replacing the 1.6 TDI for "low mileage" users with petrol cars
Although the constant regens stopped on my car when I filled with Shell "nitro" I do firmly believe that the 2.0 as a breed of engine is far better "sorted" than the 1.6 for day to day running & strangely the 1.6 seems to be better suited to cruising down motorways all day :confused:

Resolution day tomorrow for me from VW.UK, so will be interesting to hear what they will do.

D

andyCYM
04-07-2013, 09:45 PM
I think my driving style is much like Maisbitt's, except I use cruise a lot, rather like a hand throttle, knocking it off via the column stalk when I want engine braking, using Resume and the 1 & 5mph increments/decrements when appropriate. I also share his scepticism of the plethora of driving aids currently fitted and the complacency it may breed, most likely in those predisposed to over rely on them. I think my approach to ADC would be to switch it off initially until at ease with the car in my usual set up and then begin to give it a try.

andyCYM, very interested in your experiences as a 1.4 ACT estate is high up my next car list. I am retired, do very little urban/short distance work and am thinking ACT will fit well with long distance trips mainly on dual carriageways and extra urban A & B roads and their European equivalents generally in free flowing conditions. How are you finding fuel consumption compared to the official figures? I am use to getting 49mpg brim to brim against an official combined figure of 50.4mpg and am very happy with this as I drive briskly, generally cruise at the legal limit and it exceed it when conditions so dictate.

I couldn't tell you what the official figures are, but so far (3,200 miles) mine has averaged 38.7mpg, but that's with a lot of very short (2 mile each way) commutes. On longer runs it's been up to 56mpg (on the trip, can't be bothered with manual calculations) on a Hertford - Norwich (i.e. pretty flat) run sticking to 70mph. Driven with some restraint on longer trips it's easy to get over 45mpg. Not as good as any of my last 3 VAG diesels, but only 5mpg or so off, and it's a lovely quiet, torquey, free-revving engine. Genuinely as entertaining to drive as my old Mk6 GTD, only much quieter. The only time it feels significantly slower than the GTD is with a full load on a motorway at 70mph when trying to overtake quickly. Don't think I'll be in a diesel again.