PDA

View Full Version : Audi Factory Fit Tow Bar

Rhyddin
03-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

I took delivery of my 2013 A6 Avant S Line Black Edition in April - and am still absolutely loving driving it!

However, the reason that I'm posting this thread is that, when I placed my order back in February, I was pretty sure that I wanted the factory fit tow bar but the dealers did not have any cars with one fitted and there wasn't really any definitive photos or videos to show what the latest version looked like or how it was stored within the bumper. I decided to take the plunge anyway and I'm delighted to say that it looks and works brilliantly. I did have to get the dealer to improve the wiring from Euro spec to UK spec but there are lots of forum entries about that so I won't go on about it.

Anyway, just in case there is anyone in the same boat as I was and wondering if the factory tow bar is worth the investment, I have put a short video on YouTube and thought I'd share the link:

Audi factory fit towbar - YouTube (http://youtu.be/TjAEALYzYNQ)

Hope it's useful and, incidentally, I definitely think it's worth the money if you plan to tow!

Any questions, just ask.

ukgroucho
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Very nice short video!

I don't tow and have no desire to but I do wonder if I should have added this option to my Allroad order... I think it would definitely be a + for resale. The thing that put me off was the cost - at £825 incl VAT it would be a lot to drop to aide resale and I doubt I'd get it back. Definitely something to go for if you DO tow though.

razor77
03-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I have a small trailer and a bike rack that attaches to the tow hook of my out going car - but the price is prohibitive to have this on my A6 for my purpose! As for residuals, potentially if the next owner wants a tow hook they might choose yours, but I actually think it could reduce the number of people interested in the car, where they have a perception that towing has a negative effect on the engine.

I'll sell the trailer and manage without, and move to roof mounted bike racks instead.

Bash D Bishop
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
I had a similar issue. I wanted a car quickly but there were none is stock with towbars so I had to have an aftermarket one fitted. Unfortunately there are very few options for 2013 Allroads so I had to cough up £1170 for supplying and fitting of an non-genuine kit. The genuine kit would have cost over £2300 to have supplied and fitted.

The install is very neat and you can only see the receptor if you look very hard. I only ever tow a small trailer to the dump and to collect logs as well as a bike rack.

Next time if I have more patience then I'll order the factory fit option.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Rhyddin
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I have a small trailer and a bike rack that attaches to the tow hook of my out going car - but the price is prohibitive to have this on my A6 for my purpose! As for residuals, potentially if the next owner wants a tow hook they might choose yours, but I actually think it could reduce the number of people interested in the car, where they have a perception that towing has a negative effect on the engine.

I'll sell the trailer and manage without, and move to roof mounted bike racks instead.

It was an expensive option but the third party companies wanted around £600 to install a removable bar and, for the convenience of not having to remove it and the reassurance of knowing Audi had fitted it (and were aware of it should there be an issue), I felt it was worthwhile to pay the extra.

Regarding whether towing would have a negative influence on resale, this is where a factory fitted bar would alleviate some of that potential concern, in comparison to a retro fitted bar. There is no talk of whether the car needed a bigger cooling fan or modifications anywhere else - it just came with these bits installed! I think tow bars are one of those things that some buyers will seek out specifically and others will see it as a bonus while, potentially, as you said, some might see it as a turn off. To me, it goes brilliantly on the A6 Avant because it is such a versatile car.

skibuddy
04-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I am having an issue with the MMI reporting problems with a tow bar mounted Thule Bike rack (a good few years old now). It reports random problems with the bulbs, from Indicators to Rear lights. Getting out and going and looking at them on the rack, all lights are working fine. Disconnect and the reconnect the electrics and there is then a problem with a different bulb. Seems the MMI is over sensitive or something. Is this an issue with the rack or the electrics in the car? Guess I need to try connecting something different and seeing if that is alright or not. Which is the lesser evil, having to buy a new bike rack or booking it in to Audi to get them to fix the towbar electrics.

Splash
18-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I was searching for something else and couldn't resist chipping in.

I've got a C6 allroad and a C7 allroad - both with towbars. I occasionally tow a small Erde garden trailer but more commonly put my dirtbike on a trailer for events. I've not used the towbar on the C7 yet other than as "protection", but I picked the car from a choice of three because it had one (I would normally spec my own cars).

The deployment of the towbar on the C7 is infinitely easier than on the C6 which requires a double-jointed and quite strong wrist. Not sure my wife has quite got the hang of it yet.... ;)

Whippy53
18-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm sure you can get her to practise her wrist action somehow! :Blush2:

wja96
19-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately there are very few options for 2013 Allroads so I had to cough up £1170 for supplying and fitting of an non-genuine kit. The genuine kit would have cost over £2300 to have supplied and fitted

I argued the toss with Audi that the Accessories Brochure states that all prices are inclusive of fitting unless otherwise stated and it doesn't say fitting is extra. After about 6 weeks of being very polite but insistent I got the towbar installed for the price in the brochure. Still crazy expensive, but I think it's worth it for the OEM coolness.

kn0bby
22-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but if any of your guys can help me i'd really appreciate it...

Retrofit factory retractable towbar to Audi A6 C7 Avant TDI 3.0 Quattro S Line (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/172096-Retrofit-factory-retractable-towbar-to-Audi-A6-C7-Avant-TDI-3-0-Quattro-S-Line?p=991319#post991319)