PDA

View Full Version : DPF regen from a cold start?

fat controller
02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
I went out this morning to head to work, started the car and headed off as normal - I have a few junctions to go through before I hit the dual carriageway, and by the time I hit the second one (maybe quarter of a mile), the car was making the 'usual' sort of noise that it does when doing a regen.

I was under the impression that the engine had to be up to temp before this kicked in?

Guest 2
02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I've had this too and as it's happened a few times on and off, I'd say it's normal.

Will reply to your PM now ;)

fat controller
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Cheers Chris :)

I don't think my paranoia about my cars will ever get any better..........

Still, at least anyone that gets a car after me is getting one that has been looked after.

theskyfox
03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi, Yes I've had this too. I've driven the car a short distance up the road and the usual stench/power feeling of DPF regen has started, despite the engine being cold. I would say its normal. Might be worth noting that I barely got over 30mph as well...

-Andrew

Boy
03-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Having owned a 2008 B8 143 Sline for only four months, but having
covered about 7.5k miles in it (of 135.5k to date), I have as yet never been aware of a regen taking place.
Is this unusual?

Guest 2
03-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Nope, gong by your mileage you're doing motorway journeys?

If so that's the ideal condition for a regen so most of the time you'll never feel it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy
03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks. Actually, most of my miles are gentle a road journeys, but almost never less than
twenty miles at a time, which I guess is what matters. Always up to temperature.

gdallas
04-07-2013, 12:28 PM
what does it feel and sound like, cant say ive ever noticed??

fat controller
04-07-2013, 10:27 PM
what does it feel and sound like, cant say ive ever noticed??

It is very subtle to be honest, and if it occurs whilst you are at motorway / A-road speeds, you wouldn't notice at all. If it happens in town, the engine idle speed increases a bit to just over 1000 RPM, when driving along in traffic and then slowing to a stop there is a high pitched sort of sound that I can only describe as being similar to the noise that a vacuum cleaner makes, but it isn't loud; the exhaust note changes a bit, and becomes more rorty, and finally if you are sitting stationary, the car will occasionally rock side to side on its suspension a bit (think of how an older car would feel with a knackered engine mount, and you've got the idea). Another good indicator is that the start/stop technology will refuse to work, despite all the other criteria seemingly being met.

First time it happened, I noticed only the vacuum cleaner noise, and rushed on here to ask! All I can say is thank goodness for the likes of A6_Chris etc who are here keeping paranoid gits like me sane! :biglaugh:

kieransymons
19-06-2014, 10:29 PM
DPF light on VW Caddy 1.6 TDI 62 reg came on at 125000 miles on motorway.Van very rarely does over 3000 rpm,fortunately just outside VW Dealer in Chester who advised get on Mway keep constant speed and revs between 2500=3000. Impossible in rush hour on M56/M6 ECU light came on. I chickened out at Knutsford Sevices South. After 3 relays from AA, Van delivered to VW Reading Thurs PM.I was expecting a forced regen but on visiting dealer to collect van after no communication I was told that EGR parts ordered & received & was being repaired under warranty. This they did but took another 3 working days as parts were on dreaded back-order,bad side I'm self-employed,good side the previous VW dealer had told me warranty expired at 100k but the Reading dealer confirmed that on this commercial vehicle it was 200k so no financial probs there this time.

Is there anyway of monitoring these worthy components,I appreciate they save planet Earth but that visit to VW on the Saturday pushed my blood pressure right-up

theskyfox
19-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Are you sure you don't mean 12,500 miles? I would like to shake your hand if you have driven 125,000 miles in less than two years.

-Andrew

rafletcher
20-06-2014, 07:36 AM
I expect 125k is correct - self employed inna van remember. Might be a courier for instance. Or just a loooong commute.