PDA

View Full Version : Turbo chatter/blow off

Cooper B5.5TDI
02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Anyone know how I would achieve this on my 1.9tdi passat?

Cheers

Sent via carrier pideon

zollaf
02-07-2013, 07:53 PM
fit a petrol engine.

Cooper B5.5TDI
02-07-2013, 07:58 PM
I've heard it on diesel engines....so I know its possible.....surely the system is similar

Sent via carrier pideon

zollaf
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
well no, its totally different. when you lift off the loud pedal on a petrol, the throttle closes thus stopping pressurised air from the turbo. the blow off valve opens to allow this air somewhere to go, either recirulates or to atmosphere. this creates the loud whooosh. with a diesel there is no throttle to close so the turbo doesn't need anywhere else to send its air. yes you can fit one and get a whoosh sound but all you are doing is releasing pressure and making the turbo work harder for a living. this will also slow down your car because the turbo then needs to re pressurise the lost air when you plant your foot again. they are usually fitted to diesels by people that have no idea of how an engine works. seriously if you want a loud 'whoooosh' when you change gear, or some turbo chatter as loved by richard hammond then buy a fast petrol car. if however you want to drive an economical diesel, just accept you have to live without it.

Cooper B5.5TDI
02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Gutted....oh well. Other projects to pursue lol

Sent via carrier pideon

Jason Carson
18-07-2013, 02:49 PM
well no, its totally different. when you lift off the loud pedal on a petrol, the throttle closes thus stopping pressurised air from the turbo. the blow off valve opens to allow this air somewhere to go, either recirulates or to atmosphere. this creates the loud whooosh. with a diesel there is no throttle to close so the turbo doesn't need anywhere else to send its air. yes you can fit one and get a whoosh sound but all you are doing is releasing pressure and making the turbo work harder for a living. this will also slow down your car because the turbo then needs to re pressurise the lost air when you plant your foot again. they are usually fitted to diesels by people that have no idea of how an engine works. seriously if you want a loud 'whoooosh' when you change gear, or some turbo chatter as loved by richard hammond then buy a fast petrol car. if however you want to drive an economical diesel, just accept you have to live without it.

I know absolutely nothing about engines, but my 55 plate 2.0 tdi used to make this noise and after i had it mapped made it even louder and transformed the noise into a slight flutter. I never touched the turbo so no blow of valves or similar were added. As sad as it sounds i do miss it.

Cooper B5.5TDI
18-07-2013, 03:00 PM
A map is on the cards...all I have at the moment is that nice whistle as the turbo spools..

Maybe it'll come with the remap....

Sent via Royal Mail

gazza1984
07-08-2013, 10:04 PM
well im sorry to say but the modern diesel does have a throttle body, my audi a3 tdi has a induction kit fitted and it whooshes and chatters loads now,

Guest 2
07-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Not the pigeon effect?!

All the modified dervs around my way have them fitted and make me cringe every time ;)

Cooper B5.5TDI
08-08-2013, 04:35 AM
Seems like mine has that sound naturally...have only standard equipment but noticed that sound whilst driving through an alleyway....lol.

Sent via Royal Mail

Doctle Odd
08-08-2013, 07:57 AM
(http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EXHAUST-WHISTLER-TURBO-SOUND-WIZZER-FITS-TAIL-TIP-PIPE-Whizzer-Dump-Valve-UK-NEW-/300806012862?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item46096f7fbe)http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EXHAUST-WHISTLER-TURBO-SOUND-WIZZER-FITS-TAIL-TIP-PIPE-Whizzer-Dump-Valve-UK-NEW-/300806012862?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item46096f7fbe This is the fastest cheapest way to make a grown man look like a little boy racer without ruining a good diesel engine. Please don't buy one OR a dump valve

Cooper B5.5TDI
08-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah....not that desperate to embarrass myself lol...

Got a standard flutter for a 130bhp turbo...gonna look at a tidy exhaust...prefer a nice stainless tip...and will see if that increases my standard flutter sound

Sent via Royal Mail

Doctle Odd
08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
As Zollaf the irreproachable has already pointed out a dump valve on a diesel actually reduces power output and increases the load on the turbo. For the same money you could have a remap done!

Cooper B5.5TDI
08-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Lol...not going for a dump valve....

Remap and exhaust system is what I'm aiming for...maybe a new/clean EGR valve....and a few other bits

Sent via Royal Mail