PDA

View Full Version : Fault code P0136 and the smell of rotten eggs!

roukel01
01-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Good evening all,

I'm new to the forum and posted a brief introduction of myself!

I've owned a 2000 1.8 A4 now for about a month, Whilst driving along the other day the engine management light came on, so I bought myself a little fault code reader and it came up with error P0136 (o2 sensor)

Also when the car is idling, I get the smell of rotten eggs!

When I bought the car, the guy mentioned that the CAT had been replaced about 4 months prior to me buying it

Could anyone give any advice on this code and what could be causing it and the smell of eggs.

Many Thanks

atmaytum
03-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi

All fuels contain a small amount of sulphur and this is the element that is usually responsible for a rotten egg smell as Sulphide compounds are formed. This website http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P0136/Diagnostics/Audi/Default.aspx suggests that a faulty O2 sensor could cause incorrect fuel injection which is turn will cause poor or incomplete combustion which could be resulting in more sulphide compounds being formed than normal and hence your rotten egg smell.

I'm no professional mechanic and this is just my opinion but I would have thought a new O2 sensor is your first port of call or at least check to see if it is corroded/defective is some way.

All the best
Arron

Sam
03-07-2013, 02:47 PM
P0136 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Malfunction in Circuit

B1 = Bank 1
S2 = Sensor 2

Check the wiring to your lambda sensors for any breaks.