PDA

View Full Version : 2012 (62 plate) Passat Intermittent Braking Issue

w0067814
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi All,

I've got a 2012 Passat TDI 170 Sport with 8.5k miles in the clock. I have on a number of occasions experienced an intermittent problem with the brakes. I did ask the garage to look at it as this is a new car under warranty, but they couldn't find anything. To be honest I expect that they simply measured the braking ability on their rollers - which is a big pile of doo doo as far as testing goes, especially as this is intermittent.

I just wanted to ask whether anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Essentially the problem is that the braking performance is lowered. The pedal feels stiffer, and I need to apply more pressure in order to achieve the required level of braking. I'm not sure whether I could perform an emergency stop when this occurs! Having said that, it doesn't go rock hard like when the servo vacuum is not present. Normal service is resumed on subsequent presses, and it can be days between recurrences. This makes it very hard to test.

The other day I was driving on the motorway when there was a need to brake heavily. This coincided with the symptoms showing themselves and me wondering whether I would be able to slow down in time. Thankfully I did, but I am worried now that one day it might lead to an accident.

There is no warning of when the problem might strike, and it goes away as quickly as it appears. For some reason it tends to show itself more frequently at one junction close to my house, which would be the 3rd time the brake pedal is depressed from starting the engine. I'm wondering whether it could be something related to the autohold function, perhaps a sticky valve? Anyone know how the autohold function works?

Any ideas or experiences greatly welcomed.

Thanks

-Tim

DSG4ME
24-09-2013, 12:17 PM
If you've come from another brand it will feel different, however I suspect you are emptying the servo and this is what you are feeling, try this, engine off and pump the pedal, you'll feel it go harder as the servo pressure is used up.